FOSS4MV - Free & Open Source Software for the MVDB world

geneb

Jul 11, 2013, 10:29:57 AM7/11/13
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Here's a new group created by Kevin Powick.  Below is the original announcement I got yesterday.

Fellow developers,

I'm happy to announce a new resource for MVDB developers. *FOSS4MV*!

*FOSS4MV* is a community for people that use or develop Free and Open
Source Software for MVDB platforms, such as D3, OpenQM, jBASE, U2, Reality,
Cache, etc. As such, it has three major offerings to promote communication
and collaboration.  A Google+ Community, source code repositories at
Bitbucket, and a Twitter account to keep you in-the-loop.

*Google+* is a surprisingly useful communications platform that makes it
easy to share information with individuals, groups, or the public at large.
Some G+ communities have memberships that number in the tens of thousands,
and I know that many MV developers already have a G+ account.

*Bitbucket*, from Atlassian, is a leading provider of source code
repository hosting using today's two leading source code control platforms,
Git and Mercurial (Hg). Not only does Bitbucket support the top two SCC
platforms, but they also allow unlimited, free public and private**
repositories.

FOSS4MV is set up as a bitbucket "Team" allowing people to join the team
and create repositories under the FOSS4MV banner, while still retaining
complete control over the management of their repositories. However, there
is no requirement to join the FOSS4MV team account to get your code on the
site. If you're just looking for a good home to share your code, but do not
wish to manage a repository, let us know via email (fos...@gmail.com) and
we'll post it for you.

*Twitter* Is a great way to keep-up with what's going on with individuals,
companies and communities such as FOSS4MV. You don't actually have to tweet
to follow a Twitter account, so if you're not already "on Twitter", sign-up
and subscribe to FOSS4MV to keep an eye on what's happening. The traffic
to follow a Twitter account, so if you're not already "on Twitter", sign-up
and subscribe to FOSS4MV to keep an eye on what's happening. The traffic
should be fairly low volume.

*== Final Remarks == *

Promoting software development and collaboration amongst MV developers is
not a new idea but, until fairly recently, a standard set of tools for
building communities wasn't readily available. Today, we have powerful and
widely accepted tools that make collaboration not only easier, but
enjoyable.

Participation grows communities, and every little bit helps. With all the
knowledge that we have amongst the veterans with 20 to 30+ years of MV
experience, I'm sure we can build something useful to all MV developers,
both old and new. So, at the very least, if you have any tips, tricks, or
code that you wish to share, join the G+ community, get on the FOSS4MV
Bitbucket team, or just send us your code and we will give it a good home.

*== Links == *

G+ Community: http://goo.gl/aLfKV
Source Code: https://bitbucket.org/foss4mv
Twitter: https://twitter.com/foss4mv
Email: fos...@gmail.com

Regards,

Kevin Powick
*
*

*** Private, free repositories are limited to 5 members.  Once a private
repository exceeds 5 members, you require a paid account.  The nature of
FOSS4MV makes this a moot point as its repositories will be public by
default.*

Glen Batchelor

Jul 11, 2013, 10:32:18 AM7/11/13
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with that man! I hope it's more successful than my early attempts at FOSS repositories and forums. :D

geneb

Jul 11, 2013, 10:39:09 AM7/11/13
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Glen Batchelor wrote:

> Good luck with that man! I hope it's more successful than my early attempts
> at FOSS repositories and forums. :D

You never know. Stranger things have happened. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.