Global Catalog

fvfv

Jan 27, 2010, 11:32:26 AM1/27/10
to OpenQM-OpenSource
I was posting this in the wrong group as I am using the GPL version
2-6.6.

GPL OpenQm Linux Version.

If you catalog a program with the GLOBAL option, the program can only
be called from the command line in UPPER case.

Usually commands that are on the VOC file can be called case
insensitive such as list or ed. If you create a new PA (paragraph),
it can only be called on the Case that you saved it as.

Also openning files from BASIC with open, only work with UPPER CASE.

I understand that Linux is a Case sensitive OS, but I see that If QM
can execute a verb in either case, it should as well execute
paragraphs or Global Catalog Items regardless of their case.

The commercial OpenQM behaves differently.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, may be I can contribute
a Patch.

Thanks

Ashley Chapman

Jan 28, 2010, 4:12:09 AM1/28/10
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fernando,

> If you catalog a program with the GLOBAL option, the program can only
> be called from the command line in UPPER case.

This seems to happen for LOCALLY catalogued programmes as well. I had
not noticed it before, simply because I ensure that I always use
uppercase for all programme and file names.

> I understand that Linux is a Case sensitive OS, but I see that If QM
> can execute a verb in either case, it should as well execute
> paragraphs or Global Catalog Items regardless of their case.

It does sound like a divergence from the specification. Not something
that has apparently caused an issue before, but it obviously affects
you.

> If anyone can point me in the right direction, may be I can contribute
> a Patch.

Submissions to OpenQM are documented here:-
http://www.openqm.com/cgi/lbscgi.exe?X=bl2m5p9thh&t0=h&t1=devinfo
However, developers in the past have found the submission process to
be an onerous. You might find that the Scarlet community are more
welcoming.

Ashley Chapman
Billabong Services Ltd

sdavmor

Jan 28, 2010, 11:35:31 AM1/28/10
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com

On the question of Scarlet, since I am about to look at it for a
customer of mine, is it planned to periodically send Scarlet
enhancements back to Ladybridge, for insertion into the Open source
version of QM? Or will the fork be permanently at the current QM
2.6.6 last Open source point?
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk

Ashley Chapman

Jan 28, 2010, 11:39:15 AM1/28/10
to openqm-o...@googlegroups.com

> On the question of Scarlet, since I am about to look at it for a customer of
> mine, is it planned to periodically send Scarlet enhancements back to
> Ladybridge, for insertion into the Open source version of QM? Or will the
> fork be permanently at the current QM 2.6.6 last Open source point?

The general consensus is available here:-
http://www.scarletdme.org/wiki/Main_Page

> --
> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
> find us on MySpace, GarageBand, Reverb Nation, Last FM, CDBaby
> free MP3s of Systems Theory, Mike Dickson & Greg Amov music at
> www.mikedickson.org.uk
>

> --

Ashley Chapman

sdavmor

Jan 28, 2010, 11:55:35 AM1/28/10
Ashley Chapman wrote:
>> On the question of Scarlet, since I am about to look at it for a customer of
>> mine, is it planned to periodically send Scarlet enhancements back to
>> Ladybridge, for insertion into the Open source version of QM? Or will the
>> fork be permanently at the current QM 2.6.6 last Open source point?
>
> The general consensus is available here:-
> http://www.scarletdme.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thank you, Ashley. I just d/l and installed the deb on Ubuntu 9.10.
I will look at it later today.

Diccon

Jan 28, 2010, 5:15:35 PM1/28/10
to OpenQM-OpenSource