Re: [openpyxl-users] Urgent Call for Action: Request for Openpyxl Release to Address Critical Bugfixes

Message has been deleted

Charlie Clark

Apr 17, 2024, 6:58:04 AMApr 17
to openpyxl-users

On 17 Apr 2024, at 10:30, Timo Stübi wrote:

Dear Openpyxl User Group,

Hi Timo,

I hope this message finds you well. As active users and contributors to the
Openpyxl library, I'm reaching out to draw your attention to a pressing
issue that requires immediate action.

Over the past year, there have been numerous bugfixes and improvements made
to Openpyxl, reflecting the dedication and hard work of our community.
However, despite these efforts, a critical issue has emerged that demands
urgent attention.

The recent discovery of a bug, particularly highlighted in Merge Request
#436 (https://foss.heptapod.net/openpyxl/openpyxl/-/merge_requests/436),
renders Openpyxl incompatible with Python versions 3.11.8 and above. This
compatibility issue poses a significant barrier for users who rely on the
latest Python releases and undermines the functionality and reliability of
Openpyxl for a substantial portion of our user base.

Hang on. The issue you refer to is due to a change in Python and only affects Windows, which incidentally made it harder for me to reproduce and fix. Furthermore, I don't agree with your assertion that anyone needs the latest Python versions. But, if you need the fix, just use a checkout.

Furthermore, it's been over a year since the last release of Openpyxl. As
such, there's a growing concern among users regarding the lack of updates
and the accumulation of unresolved issues.

Where is this growing concern? Are there rumbles in the trenches? Can I expect to see a mob with pitchforks on the street? But most of all: where are the pull requests to fix problems?

In light of these challenges, I urge the Openpyxl development team to
prioritize the creation and release of a new version without delay.
Addressing the compatibility issue with Python 3.11.8 and above is
paramount to ensuring the continued usefulness and relevance of Openpyxl in
the Python ecosystem.

There is no team, there is just me and I'll release versions when I think they're ready. I do this in my spare time and have other commitments. Fortunately, there are people who are prepared to take the time and effort to make contributions. But these are almost always related to issues they're facing. I'm extremely grateful to these people as I am to Octobus for providing Heptapod and the numerous developers who work on libraries we use.

However, I don't remember seeing any contribution from you.

By releasing an updated version promptly, we demonstrate our commitment to
maintaining the quality and usability of Openpyxl, while also fostering
trust and confidence among our users.

Sorry, who is doing what precisely? Empty statements like remind of the proverbial damp handshake, as you say in German.

I encourage all members of the Openpyxl community to voice their support
for this initiative and contribute to the resolution of this critical
issue. Together, we can ensure that Openpyxl remains a reliable and
indispensable tool for data manipulation and analysis in Python.

It's always easy to ask other people to do something. But what are you yourself going to do? Are you going to solve the problem? Are you going to pay someone else to do it? Given the recent alarm over xz you should perhaps reconsider your phrasing.

This is open source and this means developers have no obligations and users have no rights. Is it really too much to ask for a little respect?

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to a swift
and effective response from the Openpyxl development team.

Here you are:🖕🏻

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark