Merge request !345

Michael O'Donnell

May 15, 2024, 8:47:52 AMMay 15
to openpyxl-users
Hi,

I have seen that merge request !345 appears to be abandoned.
I have tried to follow the guidance here
https://openpyxl.readthedocs.io/en/stable/development.html to allow me to attempt to resurrect the development branch by creating my own, however, I am having some trouble as I am unfamiliar with gitlab and mercurial and would greatly appreciate some help.

I have downloaded source tree, and successfully created a local branch from 3.1 (although I am not 100% sure it is the correct 3.1 as there appear to be three showing in sourcetree). I have then taken the previous work from !345 and recreated it in this new local branch, along with the updates recommended in the comments. However, I am now at a lose of how to create a pull/merge request back into openpyxl. Looking at issue #2041 it seems to suggest I need to be added to the gitlab group? Any guidance would be great!
If you need my gitlab ID it is @Volumetric-Nanometre

Best wishes,
Michael

Charlie Clark

May 15, 2024, 11:30:26 AMMay 15
to openpyxl-users
On 15 May 2024, at 14:47, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have seen that merge request !345 appears to be abandoned.
> I have tried to follow the guidance here
> https://openpyxl.readthedocs.io/en/stable/development.html to allow me to
> attempt to resurrect the development branch by creating my own, however, I
> am having some trouble as I am unfamiliar with gitlab and mercurial and
> would greatly appreciate some help.

Yes, it look like the original developer gave up on this.

> I have downloaded source tree, and successfully created a local branch from
> 3.1 (although I am not 100% sure it is the correct 3.1 as there appear to
> be three showing in sourcetree). I have then taken the previous work from
> !345 and recreated it in this new local branch, along with the updates
> recommended in the comments. However, I am now at a lose of how to create a
> pull/merge request back into openpyxl. Looking at issue #2041 it seems to
> suggest I need to be added to the gitlab group? Any guidance would be great!
> If you need my gitlab ID it is @Volumetric-Nanometre

I don't think you can use Sourcetree any more because Atlassian decided to give up on Mercurial and it doesn't support the the topics extension, which Heptapod uses for PRs. There is one for this:
bitbucket-pr-345

Once you have the extension installed and activated, you just treat it like another branch. Once the work is finished and the topic can be merged, Heptapod does the work. You can push changes once you have developer status, which I've just set.

Please pay attention to the points Stephen Rauch made, he did the original work on the tokeniser, I wouldn't want to accept breaking changes into the 3.1 branch, so you might want to start afresh based in the 3.2 branch.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director