OPDS recent & upcoming developments?

Joe Wicentowski

May 23, 2019, 9:05:46 AM5/23/19
to openpub
Hi all,

My office has been offering an OPDS feed of our ebook catalog for about 5 years (see https://history.state.gov/developer/catalog), and another part of our organization just expressed interest in adopting OPDS for their ebook distribution needs.  The notes from last fall's monthly calls have some good information for me about recent developments, but I'd be interested to know:

- What version of OPDS have most ebook services and clients adopted?
- What is the timeline on OPDS 2.0 being finalized, and have any services or clients adopted it in its draft form?

Thanks,
Joe

Hadrien Gardeur

May 23, 2019, 9:55:04 AM5/23/19
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

- What version of OPDS have most ebook services and clients adopted?

OPDS 1.1 is probably the most popular version right now.

- What is the timeline on OPDS 2.0 being finalized, and have any services or clients adopted it in its draft form?

I think we'll probably keep OPDS 2.0 in its current state (draft) for the foreseeable future, but it's already very stable and well implemented in Readium (4 différent implementations). At Feedbooks we're mostly focusing on our OPDS 2.0 catalog now and we've had it in production for almost a year now.

We'll resume our calls in June and this will be on our agenda.

Best,
Hadrien

Joe Wicentowski

May 23, 2019, 10:12:40 AM5/23/19
to openpub
Thanks very much for this info, Hadrien.  I'll keep my eyes open for the notice about the June call.

Is there a summary of the key changes between 1.1 and 1.2?  Googling turned this page up, but I'm not sure if it's up to date with 1.2 final: https://www.librarysimplified.org/OPDS.html#OPDSspecs.

Also, does anyone know which version of the OPDS spec or test catalog this page (from a previous discussion in this group) was created against? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14lC_joUXnwUAdMQJ-PYOTvz8RWPcgfSg1Rky8RRwV28/edit#gid=0

Joe

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Publication Distribution System" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpub/CA%2BKS-11O1TpZY_%2BJYm2US0wxpyjTmGnNRAE564SGiOfpZjHNQw%40mail.gmail.com.