How to distribute ebooks?

Benjamin McLean

Jan 20, 2014, 1:29:38 AM1/20/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
OK so ... I have a web site and I have numerous public domain ebooks that I want to distribute, which come in many formats, and too many to just throw them all on one page. Is there software I can install on top of the LAMP stack for making an ebook library? Like an extension for Wordpress, Joomla or Mediawiki? Or will I have to code something from scratch? Seems like there should be an easy way to do this.

Ori Idan

Jan 22, 2014, 1:32:25 AM1/22/14
to openpub
You want some software that will create an OPDS feed out of a directory containing EPUB's?
Or do you want something more sophisticated that you can create categories and sort book in categories?

--
Ori Idan CEO

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Benjamin McLean <mclea...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK so ... I have a web site and I have numerous public domain ebooks that I want to distribute, which come in many formats, and too many to just throw them all on one page. Is there software I can install on top of the LAMP stack for making an ebook library? Like an extension for Wordpress, Joomla or Mediawiki? Or will I have to code something from scratch? Seems like there should be an easy way to do this.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Publication Distribution System" group.

Benjamin McLean

Jun 21, 2014, 3:02:24 PM6/21/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice to have a sophisticated ebook library system similar to the library catalogs offered by public libraries. Like an open source alternative to that horrible DRM-infested OverDrive service.

Ori Idan

Jun 21, 2014, 3:55:09 PM6/21/14
to openpub
I think we can create a software that will take a directory full of EPUB files and create a series of OPDS feeds out of them.
If these EPUB files have good metadata in them, these OPDS feeds can be pretty accurate and can make a pretty good library.

Contact me in private and we can discuss this in greater details.

--
Ori Idan CEO Helicon Books

kitait...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2014, 4:56:11 PM6/21/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How about calibre-server[1] command shipped with Calibre[2]

[1]: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-server.html
[2]: http://calibre-ebook.com

KITAITI Makoto