New test and support grid for OPDS clients

Hadrien Gardeur

Nov 14, 2012, 9:39:53 AM11/14/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I've recently launched a new project on GitHub: http://feedbooks.github.com/opds-test-catalog/

Using this catalog, anyone can test an OPDS client and detect which features are supported. This is a first version and the catalog will be regularly updated with the ability to test more features gradually, along with other tools to test things that can't be detected otherwise (such as support for various HTTP headers).

On a regular basis, I'll also post results for major OPDS clients. The first report is available on the project's wiki at: https://github.com/Feedbooks/opds-test-catalog/wiki/Results-for-November-2012
The support grid for this first report is available at: http://feedbooks.github.com/opds-test-catalog/results/november_2012.xlsx

For the first test, the best OPDS clients are:
  1. Aldiko & Megareader/Quickreader/eBook Search (Tie for the first place with 25 out of 54 points)
  2. FBReader (also 25 but with less core features supported)
  3. Ouiivo (23)
  4. Mantano (also 23 but with less core features supported)
  5. Bluefire Reader (21)
  6. Moon+ Reader (13)
For those who'd like to keep up with the latest version of the support grid, the results will be available at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiWt3tA8qtyMdFpkZ0lxV011MXV6X3JJRFUxa050SHc

I sincerely hope that this project will be useful for both current and new OPDS clients. With an easy way to test features, let's build a better ecosystem for OPDS where all clients have a broad support for the standard.

Hadrien

Sébastien

Nov 15, 2012, 4:44:08 AM11/15/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hadrien,

I checked your spreadsheed and saw that search is said to be working on FBReaderJ. That does not fit my tests with your test catalog. I also saw that the file opensearch.xml is not in the github repository so I can't work it for the moment (or I've made a mistake).

Thanks for this test catalog anyway.

Sébastien

Sébastien

Nov 15, 2012, 4:45:13 AM11/15/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Please replace

so I can't work it for the moment (or I've made a mistake)

by

so it can't work for the moment (or I've made a mistake)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hadrien Gardeur

Nov 15, 2012, 5:11:47 AM11/15/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sebastien,

You're right, I forgot to import the OpenSearch document in the repository. I'll do it today.

Search was one of the irst thing that I tested, before I had fully crafted the catalog. Aldiko & FBReader both had a very different behavior from the rest, I'll check again.

Hadrien

2012/11/15 Sébastien <sebasti...@gmail.com>

Hadrien Gardeur
Co-founder, Feedbooks
54, rue de Paradis
75010 Paris, France

Hadrien Gardeur

Nov 15, 2012, 8:27:31 PM11/15/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've added an OpenSearch document to the repository. I've also made a few tests: while some of the clients support this document, none of them worked if instead of the Atom mimetype we also indicate the OPDS specific media parameters.

Hadrien

Sébastien

Nov 16, 2012, 3:14:00 AM11/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hadrien,

I saw your last commit, and you changed the template URL in opensearch.xml to a relative one. I've had problem with search in Mantano when using a relative URL (I last checked in May).

The opensearch document does not seem to forbid relative URL but all the examples are using full url.

I guess it'll be hard to have some consistency in all OPDS client :(.

Hadrien Gardeur

Nov 16, 2012, 4:41:32 AM11/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Right, I tested both relative and absolute URLs and detected the same issue in all clients. I downgraded a few clients from support to partial support in the support grid.

Sébastien

Nov 16, 2012, 8:42:24 AM11/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
One last question (at least for the moment), have you mailed or contacted Aldiko, Mantano, FBReaderJ, ... 's team to tell them about your initiative.

Hadrien Gardeur

Nov 16, 2012, 8:44:55 AM11/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Sure, they all had an exclusive access to this on-going work since I've started the project.

Jean-Marie Geffroy

Nov 16, 2012, 8:46:02 AM11/16/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sebastien,

I can reply for Mantano (I am the founder ;-): I am actively following this thread, sorry for not being very active because I am preparing a really important trip but we plan to improve our support for OPDS shortly. I can't go into more details right now but thank you for your feedback.

( I see that Hadrien is faster than me to reply :-)

Best regards,

Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie Geffroy
Président

2 rue du Helder - 75009 Paris, France
Tel.: +33 1 42 47 05 61
Fax.: +33 9 81 38 49 19

jmge...@mantano.com
www.mantano.com
cloud.mantano.com
community.mantano.com

Sébastien

Dec 23, 2012, 9:37:17 AM12/23/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

To follow up on my previous mail about FBReaderJ, version 1.6.8 (released 30/11/2012) fixed opensearch parsing.

Merry Xmas in advance to everyone in the group.

Sébastien