List of OPDS supporting client systems

Ori Idan

Jan 3, 2014, 2:05:45 AM1/3/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I think we should compile a list of Client systems supporting OPDS.
I can make a google docs spreadsheet to concentrate all the data.
Once we have a list, I will format it to a HTML and make it publicly available. What do you think?

Hadrien Gardeur

Jan 5, 2014, 10:16:52 PM1/5/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ori,

I'm all for trying to keep track of OPDS clients (even though it's hard), but I'd also like to make sure that we highlight the ones with proper support for OPDS based on test results from the OPDS Test Catalog project (http://feedbooks.github.io/opds-test-catalog/).

Here's my suggestion: let's create a Google Doc for which a few contributors have write rights, everyone has read rights, and we order clients based on their test catalog results (best one first, then the rest, and at the bottom the untested clients).

Hadrien

Ori Idan

Jan 6, 2014, 7:26:40 AM1/6/14
to openpub
Hello Hadrien,

Yes, that's exactly what I think.
With your permission I will create a google doc and give you full rights on it (to what mail?)
I suggest it will be a spreadsheet that each line will be a client name and columns will be features. We will have to compile a list of features together.

Helicon Books (my company) has a reflowable Android EPUB3 reader that supports OPDS. Our customized book store also serves the data as OPDS. We plan to enhance our OPDS based product to include means of creating OPDS feeds from other sources such as CSV fles, directory of EPUB's etc.

--
Ori Idan

--
Ori Idan CEO

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Publication Distribution System" group.

Hadrien Gardeur

Jan 6, 2014, 9:14:43 AM1/6/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ori,

For the test results, there's already a Google Spreadsheet available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiWt3tA8qtyMdFpkZ0lxV011MXV6X3JJRFUxa050SHc&usp=sharing

I was thinking about something a little different that would list:
  • the name of the app/service
  • a URL
  • list of supported platforms
  • price (or a mention that it's free)
  • score (with a color: green, yellow and red based on how it performs compared to other apps)
Highest score first, apps that are not tested yet at the bottom of the list.

Hadrien

Ori Idan

Jan 6, 2014, 1:04:36 PM1/6/14
to openpub
Hello Hadrien,

Thank you for the compatibility list, I was not aware of this list.
I have created a spreadsheet based on your suggestion (currently empty) and shared it with you.

We need a way for other people to add clients, I wouldn't like to open the list to anyone. Do you have any suggestion how to do it?

BTW are you (or anyone else from this list) coming to London Book fair in April? I am going to be there and would be happy to meet if possible.

--
Ori Idan CEO

Frank Lowney

Apr 26, 2014, 2:01:33 PM4/26/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that there is not a row for supported standards/file types such as:

ePub 2.1
ePub 3.x
.. and possibly also .mobi, .ibooks and others.  Or is OPDS confined to ePub 2.1 right now?

My interest stems  from being an academic looking into the discovery and distribution of free and unencumbered eTextbooks via RSS, OPDS, HTTP and other routes.  I am especially interested in Readium.js getting OPDS capabilities now that IbisReader is no longer available. An HTML 5 eReader that is both ePub3 and OPDS-savvy would be a very good way to implement a zero to low cost eTextbook system.

Hadrien Gardeur

Apr 26, 2014, 5:41:03 PM4/26/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
OPDS is not confined to any specific media. I've seen OPDS catalogs for audiobooks for instance, and at Feedbooks our OPDS catalog contains links to EPUB, Mobipocket & PDF files.

in the test results, we do not list the format supported by each app since we only test OPDS-specific features and support.

Having an OPDS-enabled Readium.js is certainly among the things that have been considered for this project. I think it's even on the TODO list (and has been there for a while).

Frank Lowney

Apr 26, 2014, 6:54:59 PM4/26/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 26, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien...@feedbooks.com> wrote:

OPDS is not confined to any specific media. I've seen OPDS catalogs for audiobooks for instance, and at Feedbooks our OPDS catalog contains links to EPUB, Mobipocket & PDF files.

in the test results, we do not list the format supported by each app since we only test OPDS-specific features and support.

My concern was that the client, whether stand-alone or part of an eReader, would want to know more about the file than is communicated by the suffix and MIME type, ePub 2 vs ePub 3 for example.  Why download and try to render a file that will look terrible or, worse, be totally unreadable.

Having an OPDS-enabled Readium.js is certainly among the things that have been considered for this project. I think it's even on the TODO list (and has been there for a while).

That's very encouraging to know.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open Publication Distribution System" group.

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Projects CoordinatorDigital Innovation Group @ Georgia College
   Chappell Hall 212 (CBX 106)
    Web SiteBlog, GCSU Email, iCloud Email
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.