Differing bottom camera position - position/calibration tabs

Noël

Aug 1, 2022, 12:33:41 PM8/1/22
to OpenPnP
Ok. I went through the camera calibration from start to the end. Results are rather good.

After calibrating the bottom camera I noticed the position in the 'position' tab differs from the position in the 'Advanced Calibration' tab.
Just wondering why this is and what is the fundamental difference between the two positions.
Also I notice if I jog the nozzle to the 'position' tab position the nozzle is not really at the center but slightly off. I tried to correct that and quickly realised it was a bad idea as all components were placed with that same error. I managed to restore the value they were.

Are we supposed to be able to change positions in the 'position' tab once we use the advanced camera calibration?

Screenshot_2022-08-01_17-20-16.pngScreenshot_2022-08-01_17-20-50.png
machine.xml

tonyl...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 2:15:00 PM8/1/22
to OpenPnP
Advanced calibration does not change the values on the Position tab so that if you disable advanced calibration, the original camera setting go back into effect.  Changing the Location on the Position tab probably should be disabled while advanced calibration is enabled (similar to Units Per Pixel on the General Configuration tab).

Tony

mark maker

Aug 1, 2022, 2:20:56 PM8/1/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Noël,

the difference is due to the shift that happens because the camera tilt is compensated. Thanks to Advanced Camera Calibration, another pixel of the camera view becomes the new center "ray" (blue) whereas the original raw camera center pixel represents a "ray" that is tilted (red).

perpendicular-constant-xy-diff-z

Wiki:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Advanced-Camera-Calibration

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Advance-Camera-Calibration---Camera-Mounting-Errors

_Mark

Noël

Aug 1, 2022, 3:20:46 PM8/1/22
to OpenPnP
Thanks for the confirmation. Because they are both available for edit I thought they had independent purpose.