detect/handle minimum version requirement

Jan

Mar 29, 2023, 6:51:55 AM3/29/23
to OpenPnP
Hi All!
I just leaned from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8z-px_deGk, that information provided
here https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/CharmHigh-CHMT36VA is
incomplete. In the wiki a sample machine.xml is linked, which requires a
certain minimum OpenPnP version, which is not (yet) mentioned there. So
my first question is, how can I find out, what the minimum version is. I
know, that the machine.xml from from somewhere middle of 2022 and that
at least one new development version was released since then. So the
next question is what would be a good way (or is the recommended way) to
reference a minimum OpenPnP version users of the Wiki have to install. I
think just suggesting to install the latest test version is to much...
The second thing I learned from the video is, that OpenPnPs way to
handle newer machine.xml files shall be improved. Its a pity that
OpenPnP (or just the old version mentioned in the video) just generates
some cryptic error message that seems to be not very helpful. May I
suggest to add some type of version information to the machine.xml that
is changed whenever a modification is not backward compatible and that
this version information is stored such, that it can be read by all
(even very old) versions and used to generate a meaningful error message.

Jan