Can't Flash Smoothieboard to CHM-T36VA

Rick Wright

Apr 4, 2021, 2:47:27 AM4/4/21
to OpenPnP
Hi,

I have been trying to connect to my CHM-T36VA using ST-LINK V2 and the STM32 ST-LINK Utility program.  But, when I try to connect, I get "Can not connect to target" error message.

I've tried every combination of Mode (Connect Under Reset, Hot Plug, Normal) and Reset Mode (Hardware Reset, Core Reset, Software System Reset), but nothing seems to work.

Have they placed the STM32F407ZET6 into Protection Level 2, which disables the SWD?

DO I need to replace the STM32F407 with a blank one?

Any help would be appreicated

Rick

stone...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 3:03:54 AM4/4/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Rick,
the STM32 is write protected with readout protection. You will need to erase the existing firmware to reprogram it. I did use a J-Link for this (see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2020/05/03/retrofitting-a-charmhigh-chm-t36va-machine-with-openpnp/ ).
I hope this helps,
Erich

Rick Wright

Apr 5, 2021, 4:24:16 PM4/5/21
to OpenPnP
Thanks for the help.  I use the STM32 series processors for my day job, but I always include the NRST signal with the VCC, GND, SWDIO, and SWCLK signals to the ST-LINK.

After trying multiple settings in ST-LINK Utility without success, I decided to solder a wire from Pin  25 (NRST) and connect it to the RESET pin of the ST-LINK.   SUCCESS!!!!

I was able to connect, erase, and upload firmware-chmt.bin.  After flashing firmware-chmt.bin, I'm able to enter help at the command line, I can also get the firmware version information from OpenPNP.  But, no matter what I try, I can't get OpenPNP to move anything.  So, I'm currently re=building the BIN from source and will the compiled BIN file.