Multiple drivers - GcodeAsyncDriver DEBUG: serial://COM3 //COM4 connection issues

Zdenko Stanec

Oct 11, 2021, 2:01:47 PM10/11/21
to OpenPnP
Good evening,

I was constantly "putting under the carpet" an issue I have every time I turn ON the machine, I thought it was a computer-based issue because of lack of the USB controllers, I switched to another PC (HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF) with a bunch of USB2.0 and 3.0 but the same thing is happening, I even connected one Smoothie to USB3.0 another one to USB2.0... same issues.

As I made a 4 head machine I am using 2 Smoothie boards and I constantly get connection issues when I start OpenPnP and press the "Turn on the machine button", sometimes only one Smoothie connects, some times non of them connects, and when I go to the GcodeAsyncDriver and start Fidgeting with COM ports like selecting it again and pressing Approve, restarting the OpenPnP and so on... I get it to work after 5-10 tries...

I don't want to do this anymore it is taking a lot of time just to get it working :D...

Trace/Debug log in attachment with multiple tries, Connect wait time is on 10s in this *.xml but I tested with 15s and 20s too.

Maybe I really need more USB controllers. 🤔

P.S. I am running a Test revision of OpenPnP as I was testing new features.

Thanks for help,

Best regards,

Zdenko
machine.xml
Trace.txt

Mike Menci

Oct 13, 2021, 6:01:47 AM10/13/21
to OpenPnP
USB 2.0 hub should work only - but not all of them do work, I tested several...!! and only one did the magic.
USB 3.0 hub will do not work with OpenPnP to my knowledge and tests...
Mike

Zdenko Stanec

Oct 15, 2021, 2:59:26 PM10/15/21
to OpenPnP
I did not mention any USB Hub-s, I am not using them and I will for sure not buy them, the only thing I am considering buying is PCIex USB3.0 controllers.

But I think I solved the issue.

Br,

ma...@makr.zone

Oct 15, 2021, 3:03:23 PM10/15/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Just for the record: a USB 3.0 Hub will work, it just passes USB 2.0 through when a 2.0 Device is talking. I'm using one without problems.

_Mark

David Griffiths

Oct 16, 2021, 8:24:04 PM10/16/21
to OpenPnP
@zdenko how did you solve the issue?  I have had this same problem many times with one Smoothieboard  on Win10. At present it is behaving (touch wood) and I don't think I have changed anything significant.

It would be great if Smoothie handled ethernet efficiently!

DG

Zdenko Stanec

Oct 17, 2021, 4:28:16 AM10/17/21
to OpenPnP
Hi David,

I went back to check the config.txt files on Smoothie_1 and 2, I removed all unnecessary stuff from it plus I had a planner_queue_size on 40 (I don't know why), I changed it to 32 and for now, I don't have any issues, parallel with that on Smoothie_1 I changed Connect Wait time to 4000ms and on Smoothie_2 to 6000ms.

Running it on Windows 10, one more thing I changed in Device Manager COM port settings, Bits per second to 115200 so it is the same as in OpenPnP.

Br,