Vision Compositing - Multi-Shot Bottom Vision

ma...@makr.zone

Jul 12, 2022, 10:07:07 AM7/12/22
to OpenPnP
Hi all,

it is finally here!

Vision Compositing - Multi-Shot Bottom Vision

Best just watch the video:

Pull Request with instructions:

Download the Testing Version:

WARNING: this is now a regular testing version again, users that need more stability should switch to the regular version track, the testing version was recently merged, i.e. it is not far behind.

Please tell me what you think!

Any help with testing is greatly appreciated. 👍 👍 👍

_Mark

Jim Freeman

Jul 12, 2022, 10:29:44 AM7/12/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

That is a very interesting video. I have a couple of questions. With the multiple shots, are you building a larger image for the pipeline to use? For example if I do multiple shots, then do the findcountours pipeline stage,  will it process the expanded (number of pixels) image file to find the contour that surrounds the full part? What about backlash issues, where you move the part corner to the center of the camera, but in fact the machine does not do that perfectly due to backlash ?

Best, Jim

Sent from Mail for Windows

mark maker

Jul 12, 2022, 10:36:48 AM7/12/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> With the multiple shots, are you building a larger image for the pipeline to use?

No, each shot has its independent detection of a corner or bracket configuration. All that is consolidated afterwards are these corner coordinates.

Stitching an image would be very problematic and also only create a very fragmented image, that is not usable in a vision stage.

> will it process the expanded (number of pixels) image file to find the contour that surrounds the full part?

No, as follows from above.

> What about backlash issues, where you move the part corner to the center of the camera, but in fact the machine does not do that perfectly due to backlash ?

Use backlash compensation:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Backlash-Compensation

And if there are still error left, they are likely quite random, so using multiple corner shots will actually improve accuracy, simply through the statistic nature of collecting multiple measurements.

_Mark

Jim Freeman

Jul 12, 2022, 10:57:15 AM7/12/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Mark. In the (I guess new or modified) MinAreaRect, is it clear how the new corner points are passed into it?

Best, JIm

Sent from Mail for Windows

mark maker

Jul 12, 2022, 11:00:37 AM7/12/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that was a preparatory Pull Request, see here:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/1435

Jason von Nieda

Jul 12, 2022, 11:07:37 AM7/12/22
to OpenPnP
Absolutely beautiful work Mark - congratulations on such a cool feature! It is so personally exciting for me to see such advanced functionality in OpenPnP!

Jason

vespaman

Jul 12, 2022, 11:33:18 AM7/12/22
to OpenPnP
Wow,
Looks to be very useful. Great work!

mark maker

Aug 2, 2022, 3:26:31 AM8/2/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Responding to Kim Lindberg:

> Hi Mark,

> I'm having issues with aliging an ESP32 module. I think I need to create the pins on the part, but this part is asymetrical, and there is not option for generating such a part (as far as I can see?)
> any help would be appreciated here.
> I will do some more testing and report my issue in the thread you linked.

Something like this?

https://awesomeopensource.com/project/adamjvr/ESP32-kiCAD-Footprints

You could probably start by generating the left/right pins automatically, as a "Dual" style footprint. Then add the lower pads manually. For multi-shot vision as it is today, it would be sufficient to add one big fused "pad" as a bounding rectangle of the lower pads.

WARNING: the generator creates the side pads symmetrically, and it has to be like that, the multi-shot must find some symmetrical corners. So for that example ESP32 footprint, the center of the must be aligned with the 6 and 26 pads in your E-CAD, i.e. the footprint center in the example would have to be shifted (as I indicated with red arrow and yellow cross).

It is possible that multi-shot vision would one day in the future support Vision Offsets, but not yet. The way this is currently implemented is not sufficient for multi-shot: it currently shifts the center after having it detected asymmetric, it would have to do it before, to make detection symmetric.

_Mark