Internal HTTP/REST server.

domini...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2024, 2:10:06 PMJun 16
to OpenPnP
Hi,

(mark, look!, discussion first! :D :D :D)

I'm looking at adding an HTTP/REST server into OpenPnP so that I can remotely interact with OpenPnP and build tooling to update feeders/parts/packages.

Ideally I want to:

Use Inventree for parts/stock/bom management.
Use Inventree to EDA tools, some exist already for KiCad.
Use Inventree to suck-in parts from suppliers, tools exist already for this.
Write some tooling to go from my diptrace EDA files, with lookups from Inventree and existing EDA Name/Value to Manufacturer/PartCode, get details (e.g. x/y/z) from inventree lookups, cross reference that with other data, e.g. tape specification (pitch, width, etc) and then using HTTP/REST to communicate with OpenPnP.
a) import/update parts/packages
b) find and update feeder part assignments
c) adjust feeder settings (e.g. part pitch, peeler rotation)

I don't want to turn on my PnP machine to do it, just turning on the dedicated PC connected to the machine and accessing OpenPnP (set to auto-launch) without going anywhere near any form of remote desktop or GUI, is what I need.

Comments and feedback welcome.  Especially do's/don'ts and technologies to avoid/use.

Note, I've already started experimenting with RatPack integration, but have not yet worked out what additional layers might be needed to go between the REST interface and the spi/model or what to use to do it.

Regards,

Dominic

mark maker

Jun 16, 2024, 2:56:00 PMJun 16
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Are you sure you shouldn't reverse the relationship, i.e. create a central HTTP/REST server that maintains your Inventree or whatnot, and then have [multiple] OpenPnp instances/machines get their stuff from that central, being clients rather than servers?

_Mark

domini...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 4:54:14 AMJun 17
to OpenPnP

Are you sure you shouldn't reverse the relationship, i.e. create a central HTTP/REST server that maintains your Inventree or whatnot, and then have [multiple] OpenPnp instances/machines get their stuff from that central, being clients rather than servers?

Possibly, I'll think about that, my first thought was not to add specialization into OpenPnP for my custom tooling, but instead provide a system that will work for everyone, to be adding http/rest feels a bit like adding scripting engines, that is you add the generic capability and let people do what they want with it.

Dominic