Cameras not working on MacOS in current Test version

j...@oxer.com.au

Mar 21, 2024, 6:37:36 PMMar 21
to OpenPnP
I have been running the Test package for some time on Ubuntu because of the need for the new panel management system. After a disk failure on my Ubuntu machine I installed the Test version on an M1 Mac Mini and copied over the config.

Obviously device settings such as serial ports and cameras are different on the different platform, so I tried to change the devices to suit. Serial ports worked fine, but in Machine Setup ->  Cameras -> Bottom Camera -> Device Settings, the device dropdown is empty.

I deleted OpenPnP and the config directory so that I could do a clean install of the regular v2.0 MacOS Universal package (which is labelled "-develop" in the package name) and it saw my cameras without any issues. I could start and move the machine, everything seems functional.

I then installed the "Testing" version again, to see if successfully running the release version previously would have fixed the issue. The Testing version loaded the config and could control the machine, but the cameras had disappeared again.

As additional testing, I cleared the camera access permissions in MacOS and then ran the Testing version again. OpenPnP didn't even request camera access from MacOS.

I then reverted to the release version, which immediately asked for camera access when it started. I granted it, and the cameras worked. Then switched back to the Testing version, and the cameras were gone again.

So from what I can see, the current Testing package on MacOS doesn't even get as far as requesting a list of cameras from the OS, which is why the cameras drop-down isn't populated.

Because my Ubuntu machine is out of action I can't replicate this sequence on Ubuntu to see if the latest Testing has the same issue on that platform. I'm going to try to set up another Ubuntu machine today so I can check.

Cheers

Jon

mark maker

Mar 22, 2024, 4:36:25 AMMar 22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

I'm not a Mac user but I remember someone talking about having to allow the app to use the camera. Some security thing.

_Mark

Jonathan Oxer

Mar 22, 2024, 5:05:37 AMMar 22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yes, I tried that. I explicitly reset the camera permissions in MacOS, and when I run the Develop version of OpenPnP it requests access. When I do the same test with the Testing version, it never requests camera access.

Cheers

Jon

mark maker

Mar 22, 2024, 5:26:34 AMMar 22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

There were changes but I thought they were to support native silicon. I hope some mac devs can help.

_Mark

Fabian Kropp

Jul 6, 2024, 1:48:11 PMJul 6
to OpenPnP
Hi,

did you get anywhere with this ? Seems still not to work in current test version :-(

cheers

Fabian

Jonathan Oxer

Jul 7, 2024, 6:02:48 AMJul 7
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabian,

I didn't ever got it working properly on MacOS. The cameras worked fine in Quicktime Player etc so the Mac could see them, but OpenPnP couldn't.

At the time I was desperate to get my machines running again because I needed to assemble boards for customers. A friend had a whole box of Lenovo ThinkCenter mini PCs left over from a job, so I gave up on MacOS and installed Ubuntu on some of his mini PCs instead. OpenPnP has been running fine on those ever since so I haven't revisited MacOS.

Sorry :-(

Jon

PP.ca

Jul 7, 2024, 8:17:49 PM (13 days ago) Jul 7
to OpenPnP
I use MacOS exclusively and unfortunately also ran into this problem.

This is a known issue caused by Apple introducing additional "notarization" for the apps, on top of the regular signing: https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/1628#issuecomment-2142761793
I just submitted a PR to temporarily allow unsigned builds until Jason or someone else finds more time for a permanent fix: https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/1652

In the meantime, I just did a build form the latest test branch on my machine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1trxPOQERAGmDcBNMJQpnUV_Jw0qDCTqA/view?usp=sharing
Feel free to use it until something better is available.

Fabian Kropp

Jul 8, 2024, 10:44:21 AM (13 days ago) Jul 8
to OpenPnP
Thank you for that. How do you do building openpnp. Last time I tried I failed with some really strange error, but no-one ever seemed to have that issue, see: https://groups.google.com/g/openpnp/c/LGsoiY7C7dw/m/Ic6y96DjAQAJ

PP.ca

Jul 9, 2024, 11:16:27 AM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to OpenPnP
I extrapolated from the GitHub workflow:

mvn -B package -DskipTests
wget -q https://openpnp.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/install4j_unix_10_0_5.tar.gz
tar -xzf install4j_unix_10_0_5.tar.gz

After these steps, on can launch the UI version of Install4J and remove the code signing for the MacOS media files
./install4j10.0.5/bin/install4j