Timing belts maintanace

Marek T.

Sep 25, 2021, 11:18:12 AM9/25/21
to OpenPnP
Hi,
Does anybody know whether the toothed belts should be greased or not?
Wherever I search I see information that it's even recommended not to do it.
But the manual for the Siplace machines is telling that it's necessary and pointing some specific Staburags N12 grease. I wonder what is this needed for except getting the dust.

It's going about long steel reinforced belts with 5mm pitch, 1500mm long and 45mm wide. To drive XY axes.

Marek T.

Sep 25, 2021, 11:31:08 AM9/25/21
to OpenPnP
Timing belt, toothed belt... In my case it's looking the same :-).

bert shivaan

Sep 25, 2021, 2:07:23 PM9/25/21
to OpenPnP
I have never heard of greasing a timing belt. The only reason I can think would be to help prevent it from drying out. There should be no reason between the belt and pulley. There is no relative motion between the belt and pulley, so no need to lubricate it.

Marek T.

Sep 25, 2021, 3:49:37 PM9/25/21
to OpenPnP
So am I, but....
IMG_20210925_173904.jpg

bert shivaan

Sep 25, 2021, 4:22:11 PM9/25/21
to OpenPnP
maybe to help the belt bending?

Marek T.

Sep 26, 2021, 5:56:55 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Do you mean that the belt material soaks up (if at all possible) with grease and is then more flexible?

bert shivaan

Sep 26, 2021, 8:38:21 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Yes, like keeping the rubber from drying out? Like lotion on our skin maybe. Rubber is porous and will absorb things I think.

Marek T.

Sep 26, 2021, 8:53:34 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
It makes some limited sens :-)

Hartmut Eger

Sep 26, 2021, 9:07:33 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Marek,

Here is an excerpt from Gates Carbondrive, one of the larger manufacturers of various belts.

PLEASE NEVER TREAT THE BELT WITH OIL OR GREASE !!!

OIL AND FAT
Also, watch out for any oil or fat that drips off the guard. This could indicate that the bearings are over-lubricated. Oil and fat attack rubber compounds, causing them to swell and deform. This leads to premature failure of the Belt drive

Marek T.

Sep 26, 2021, 9:37:54 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Hi!
Have you seen a snapshot (few posts above) taken from the machine manual?

Hartmut Eger

Sep 26, 2021, 10:08:04 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,

I have timing belts in my 3D printer and my laser cutter on my bike. All operating instructions always state that it is important not to keep the timing belt away with any lubricants.
That is my level of knowledge.

bert shivaan

Sep 26, 2021, 10:15:01 AM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Marek, that is a mineral oil based grease. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. Also did you mention what the belt is made of? Maybe it is not rubber?

Marek T.

Sep 26, 2021, 1:53:47 PM9/26/21
to OpenPnP
Bert it's a polyurethane reinforced with steel wires.
Made by Conti or Siemens - atteched picture.

IMG_20210926_195011.jpg