Problem Determine the up-looking camera Bottom position and initial calibration.

zzimdog

Mar 14, 2023, 3:27:26 PM3/14/23
to OpenPnP
Hello All,
I am new to openPNP I have been using a liteplacer for 4-5 years. I am not sure if I am missing a step or what. I have tried using some machine.xml files for the tinyG and also been through many attempts starting from fresh. Right now is the furthest I have made it and so far the machine homes and movements all seem good but I am stuck on the bottom camera.

I did the complete setup using the issues and solutions tab. The only things I fudged that I know of is the actuators it wants for the lights. They are always on as I did not see any place on the tiny g I could connect hem to. Not sure if this is an issue or not.

Anyway I start it I get a green circle on the tip and accept. The machine starts spinning. Then I would get a timeout waiting for the command it would spin about 5 minutes. I increased command timeout to 360000 and it took about 20 minutes spinning at different view points and heights. Then comes up with can't find the feature or something. I have done this over the last 2 days now and not making any progress. The stuff I have found online does not seem to match what I see. The other problem is is seems to forget what z level it is at and I think some times it was actually completeing but then would get an error that it could not raise the head as it now thinks it is at 0 instead of where it really is.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. I am far enough now that I would really like to give it a try.  Should the calibration really run this long or if it hasn't completed in a couple minutes should I just kill it. It seems odd that it rotates hundreds of times at each setting. Maybe something messed up with the setting for the a motor? I haven't looked into it much but it also seems weird that when I click on the jog position it does not seem to move the amount I would expect. Attached are my tinyg file and machine.xml.

I updated the tinyg firmware and the system detected it. I am running the openpnp-test software

Thanks,

Mike
tinyg.txt
machine.xml

Mike Z

Mar 14, 2023, 4:24:43 PM3/14/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Guess I just needed to write up my problem to point me in the right direction. I decided to see what was up with the rotation motor. It turns out that a setting in the firmware was messed up $aam it should be set to $aam=1. After changing this it still timed out with the command timeout at 5000 so I increased it and it whipped through the calibration in a couple minutes on the first try. 2 days stuck on this and the first thing i look at after posting is the problem.

Hope this helps someone else if they have this issue. Now on to the next step@!

Thanks,

Mike

mark maker

Mar 15, 2023, 3:07:48 AM3/15/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

welcome and hang in there! 😁

I hope you did not miss the instructions before you upgraded the TinyG firmware, so you have the old $$ settings.

https://makr.zone/tinyg-new-g-code-commands-for-openpnp-use/577/   (Look for "Flashing the TinyG")

So you should  be able to diff them.

It is likely you already know the following, so I'm mostly adding it for the next guy coming from the Liteplacer software, and reading this.

When transitioning from the Liteplacer software, you need to be aware that the Z axis is inverted i.e. while we are using the standard right-handed coordinate system in OpenPnP, the Liteplacer software is using a left-handed system. In our system the Z axis points up:

Axis Coordinate System

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Machine-Axes

This means that yon need to reverse the direction of the Z axis in the TinyG settings, and which way to home. It also means that you need to rewire/swap the end-stop wires (AFAIK this has to be done physically).

I also hope that Tony Luken could have a look, he is the TinyG expert. 😎

Please also send a log at TRACE level.

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/FAQ#where-are-configuration-and-log-files-located

_Mark

Message has been deleted

tonyl...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2023, 5:48:19 PM3/15/23
to OpenPnP
Mark,

I think Mike found and solved the problem by himself as he states in his second post.

Tony

Mike Z

Mar 15, 2023, 6:52:40 PM3/15/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark and Tony. I did do a dump of my settings before and after somehow I missed the one that was causing me problems as I had not seen it discussed on any of the conversion threads. I just happened to notice it on the troubleshooting page of liteplacer as a setting that sometimes changes but wasn't sure why. I have not changed everything back to the settings it had before the upgrade but maybe I should do that. I was only looking at stuff that was mentioned in this group like motor speeds z axis, jerk settings etc and tried to match them.

If there is a good tinyg setting file to use for reference that would be great I would like to match up mine exactly to that. I have looked at one you had a user with a liteplacer post after a fix and a couple others but have only changed things they mentioned as pertinent because I was not sure what actually was maybe changed for the new firmware to be compatible. Tony if you have yours posted it seems like that would be an excellent one to mirror.

I am on to the production stuff now as I have about 5 days left before my next run. Little learning curve for sure coming from the liteplacer software but from what I have seem so far this software is unbelievably good( well once I get it running ;) ) Definitely has potential to up my production capabilities.

I am looking at redoing my table setup and printing out some strip feeders and hopefully that new reel feeder design you did. That is frickin a genius design Mark. Tony any links or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
My current setup has been a 1/4 inch board with black and white laminate on it. I then have lines for alignment and use dot tape rollers to place the tape strips down. I have done thousands of boards this way and it is not too bad and just the enhancements of openpnp will make that way even better but looks like a good time to step up my game ;).

Thanks for all the help so far and hope to get up to speed quickly and be an active contributor to the community.

Mike

mark maker

Mar 16, 2023, 2:16:28 AM3/16/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> I think Mike found and solved the problem by himself as he states in his second post.

I was not so sure about that, and wanted to make it clear (to both Mike and the next guy) that the $$ backup and diff was crucial and that there might be other wrong settings luring in their TinyG configs.

The last time you looked at a user's $$, you found a whole list of issues. 😁

It think it should be possible to document a plain/unmodified Liteplacer's $$, right?

This seens awfully outdated:

 https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/LitePlacer

_Mark

Mike Z

Mar 16, 2023, 7:53:11 PM3/16/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Mark do you recommend I just change everything back to what it was before the firmware upgrade minus the stuff for the z settings? I was not sure if there were settings that were changed because of the firmware update. I did go through and change a bunch of jerk settings and stuff that I think Tony mentioned to someone else that had problems with the tinyG. I am posting my before firmware upgrade and also the current settings I am using if anyone has any recommendations.
A good tinyg settings file and a current machine file would probably be beneficial. I tried the one you linked to and had problems. I also tried psychogenics and made it a little further with his but still seemed to have some issues so just redid it from scratch. Psychogenics has a bunch of scripts that I thought would make things a lot easier to setup jobs. I haven't tried them yet as I think someone mentioned they were kind of outdated for this test build.
Thanks,

Mike

tinygsettingspreupgrade.txt
tinygsettingsopenpnp.txt

tonyl...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2023, 2:05:43 PM3/17/23
to OpenPnP
I updated the wiki page to include a link to my TinyG settings.

Tony