Connection error

Shai

May 13, 2022, 1:15:57 AM5/13/22
to OpenPnP
I'm using the latest test version of OpenPNP but this issue just started happening on a previous test version. I updated, but it's still persisting. See attached screenshot. It's attempting to connect to a port that's not specified for the board. The port specified is different.

I was able to connect just fine before this started happening and pronterface is still able to connect just fine. So it's not the machine.

Any tips appreciated!

screenshot_569.png

mark maker

May 13, 2022, 2:27:59 AM5/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Log, please.

Shai

May 13, 2022, 2:35:00 AM5/13/22
to OpenPnP
Sorry about that Mark, see it here: https://pastebin.com/KyD6hGHX

mark maker

May 13, 2022, 2:40:58 AM5/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Are you sure you don't have two drivers?

Please send the machine.xml too

Shai

May 13, 2022, 3:07:00 AM5/13/22
to OpenPnP
Yes two drivers. One for the feeders and one for the motherboard. The one in the screenshot is the motherboard settings. See attached xml.
machine.xml

Shai

May 13, 2022, 3:14:49 AM5/13/22
to OpenPnP
I switched the feeder motherboard port with the upward cam port and it seems to connect now. I think I see the issue now - it's not able to connect to the feeder motherboard so it was throwing that error probably. I had assumed that even if the feeder motherboard isn't able to connect, it would at least connect to the main controller (smoothie ware). Is this not the case? Openpnp requires to connect to all controllers/drivers?

mark maker

May 13, 2022, 3:31:56 AM5/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> Openpnp requires to connect to all controllers/drivers?

Yes, it's "all or nothing". Enabling the machine means connecting all controllers. If one fails to connect, it will disconnect the ones already connected. I decided to introduce this, after my tests with three controllers showed that connecting/disconnecting only half of them created extremely hard to diagnose problems and deadlocks due to multi-threading (each driver has a writer and reader thread, the task system has a machine thread, they all need to interact smoothly through queues).

If you have problems with one controller and want to temporarily not connect it, use the GcodeServer trick, i.e. switch to tcpip and set the address to "GcodeServer" (without the quotes, case sensitive). It will then use a simulated internal controller, so OpenPnP can still at least send commands somewhere without immediately failing. It can only simulate a typical motion Gcode controller, but for most feeder controllers that's still good enough at least to connect and home, which is typically all you need such "work in progress" scenarios.

_Mark

Shai

May 13, 2022, 3:39:47 AM5/13/22
to OpenPnP
Ok thanks Mark! Quite a bit has indeed changed lately so I need to catch up.

I did however notice that the RapidFeeder is not scanning QR codes properly. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I would assume this function did not change at all since it was implemented by Jason? When clicking scan, it will scan all the QR codes, but as soon as it gets to the last coordinate of the scan, it will just keep raising and lowering the nozzle in that last location indefinitely and never finish the scan. No feeder addresses get populated or new feeders added. And the QR code looks clear too. It will also raise/lower the nozzle on every scan increment.

Are you able to see if this feature works in simulation mode as shown in the video here? https://www.deltaprintr.com/docs/rapid-feeders/

mark maker

May 13, 2022, 5:28:22 AM5/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

No RapidFeeder code was changed since then, to the best of my knowledge.

But looking at your machine.xml, I guess this is the star head design, right? So the Z axis is wired in a very peculiar way.

Notably, the Z axis of the camera is also the same physical Z axis as all the nozzles share!

Is this correct? Does your down-looking camera move up/down physically with Z? (its a long time I last looked at the head design, I don't remember)

If NO, please assign your virtual axis.

If YES, I'm not sure OpenPnP is fully prepared to handle this yet. A special kind of 3D units per pixel handling would be needed, where the units per pixel do not change with Z, but the camera position does, i.e. the camera-to-subject distance remains constant. Many Z movements are then expected, as the camera is then supposed to focus to the subject each time, here the barcode Z. If the camera also shares the Z with the nozzles (as your machine.xml says), this will incur many Safe Z movements and slow machine operation. OpenPnP assumes this to be a virtual axis, so there is no particular effort in the code to minimize these movements.

For a physical Z camera axis that is shared with nozzles' Z, I assume you would need a mapped transformation axis at least, so that camera Z range is shifted completely inside the Safe Z Zone, so at least the Z does not need to move to safe Z between each camera shot. Now that I write all that, I think I already explained that to you before... ?

_Mark

mark maker

May 13, 2022, 5:29:16 AM5/13/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Btw, please open a new thread for this discussion, it has nothing to do with a connection error 😎