Best proven custom design PCB's for camera LED lightning ???

Mikael Bohman

Aug 4, 2017, 12:00:48 PM8/4/17
to OpenPnP
What is the best working camera lightning for the 2 open-pnp cameras?.

I'm currently using a diffuse 40 mm LED ring for the down looking camera, and is still waiting on delivery for my second camera.

Can the LED ring be improved, creating a ring with several rows of LEDS + optical diffusion film to make the light source more diffuse ?

I'm thinking about something like this for the upward looking camera: www.briandorey.com

Is this the best way to go? You people must have tried a lot of designs by now!

If you have any good proven design, can you post a link to the design files / Gerbers here and BOM !?

I'm soon to send away o bunch of Gerbers for manufacturing, including an updated openpnp test-board.

Any more small PCB you people need to customize for your machines that I'm missing ?

Eagle Media

Aug 5, 2017, 2:18:30 AM8/5/17
to OpenPnP
Basically all will work if:

1) Ring Type
2) Even emission @45° to the Object
3) Using diffusor

I'm not sure about the colour.
I'm working on +90CRI White and RGB Type Light right now.

Regards,
Rick

Mikael Bohman

Aug 5, 2017, 3:05:40 AM8/5/17
to OpenPnP
Thanks!

Marek T.

Aug 5, 2017, 5:26:46 AM8/5/17
to OpenPnP
Simple 12dip white leds soldered in one raw on the 5cm dia ring. LEDs integrated with diffusers, looking straight up. I just have used some cylinder metal case of the cctv camera with IR ring. So at the beginning I've also closed the box with the original cap but replaced original glass into hand made mat diffusor around the lens. But it was not working good (no reflections but too low light) so removed this cap. Left only these diffusors integrated with leds.
Perfectly works for small 0402 and big 50x50 parts as well. However i see reflection of leds on the big parts and not sure if this kind of straight light we'll be good for every size parts.

Eagle Media

Aug 5, 2017, 7:36:47 AM8/5/17
to OpenPnP
the Light source should be at 45° to the object to avoid reflections.

Marek T.

Aug 5, 2017, 8:59:03 AM8/5/17
to OpenPnP
There is many pnp cameras (on Chinese machines) where the diodes are 90•. What doesn't mean its better of course. But as said, I have reflections and detection works perfect with the parts which tested by now. But I plan to test 45• lightening too, when finished with other problems I have.
Rick, what kind of diffusor you're using, do you mean diodes with diffusing Surface ore some diffusing cover. And what exact diodes in your solution, can you tell the type?

Eagle Media

Aug 6, 2017, 5:48:27 AM8/6/17
to OpenPnP
Hello,

I'm using Philips LUMILEDS LUXEON 3535L (HE) with 4000K and +90CRI.
The Type is: MXA9-PW40-000, MXA9-PW40-H001 and/or MXA9-PW40-S111.
The last one is obviuosly new. I have got only the first two versions of LEDs.

As for the diffusor I got some semi transparent plexiglas in different variations (transparency and thickness).
I didn't used any diffusor yet as the light is ok till now. I just prepared for the "case".

I have got 3 raws of led's which are dimmable separatelly.
In this way I hope to controll unwanted reflections (in the future) if they will be any.

As for reserve (red light) I have bought some cheap RGB LEDs from China but didnt build anything yet.

Regards,
Rick

Malte R.

Aug 6, 2017, 9:39:22 AM8/6/17
to OpenPnP
I am happy with my hexagonal ring light + 3d printed cam holder:

http://malte-randt.de/hexagonal-led-light/
http://malte-randt.de/improved-3d-printable-camera-mount/

All files are shared under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

Cheers
Malte

Marek T.

Aug 6, 2017, 5:30:36 PM8/6/17
to OpenPnP
Thanks Rick,

Hi Malte,
I know your project of course. Just redesigned it into more popular PLCC2 LEDs only, ...
Is there some special reason why you have used a white soldermask?

Eagle Media

Aug 6, 2017, 6:06:27 PM8/6/17
to OpenPnP
White soldermask does not change the color temperature of the light as much like colored soldermask.
With green soldermask you would get greenish (green looking) secondary reflection on the object you want to lit.

Mikael Bohman

Aug 6, 2017, 9:08:19 PM8/6/17
to OpenPnP
THANKs for all your answers!

What about a ring like this for  45°. r= 50 mm.

Mikael Bohman

Aug 7, 2017, 1:13:27 AM8/7/17
to OpenPnP

Message has been deleted

Eagle Media

Aug 7, 2017, 3:28:47 AM8/7/17
to OpenPnP
Hello Mikael,

The 45° means the angle between the center axes of the light and the object.
It doesnt mean the opening angle of the led-which I think you mean.
In Your design, you will get a dark spot in the middle-exactly where the component which should be lit is located.

Take a look on my drawing please.
You must avoid light beams like the purple and yellow one are.

Depending on the components, you will make direct reflections with the purple light.
But You will get "parasitic" light beams from the side if your light sourc is too high-yellow beams on my drawing.

Regards,
Rick

Malte R.

Aug 7, 2017, 5:55:11 AM8/7/17
to OpenPnP
Would you like to share your redesigned board so I can put it on my site as well? Exactly which LED are you using?

As Eagle Media pointed out, I used white soldermask to have better reflection and no color change.

Marek T.

Aug 7, 2017, 10:53:10 AM8/7/17
to OpenPnP
Sure I will send you it by the email later.

Mikael Bohman

Aug 8, 2017, 12:34:00 AM8/8/17
to OpenPnP
I mean the center axes of the light and the object like this, where we don't want to use the direct reflected light, and avoid the "parasitic" light.
Yes, the light intensity will be lower at the lens direction compared to the direction of the direct reflection - but that is a price we are willing to pay.
As I see it the only difference between our designs is that you have tilted the plane of the LEDs.

Eagle Media

Aug 8, 2017, 2:06:57 AM8/8/17
to OpenPnP
I'm not sure if You are talking to me but I'll answer:
The Key Difference between working and not working is the "Tilted LED Position"
This is very important aspect of lighing in photography since the beginning of the photography.

Rick