Re: z-axis configuration

Message has been deleted

JW

Jun 14, 2024, 5:45:26 PMJun 14
to OpenPnP
This thread might help you, using Duet not smoothie, but all the conceptual info you need is there.

On Friday, June 14, 2024 at 7:49:28 PM UTC+1 filipl...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to pick and place and I recently started building a machine. I'm using a head with double nozzles driven by a rack, but I don't know how to configure them properly. Would anyone have an idea how I make these settings? Note: I use a smoothieboard

mark maker

Jun 15, 2024, 4:22:38 AMJun 15
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> I don't know how to configure them properly

I guess it would help if you say exactly what you don't know how to configure. It can mean many things, from geometric, to mechanical, to wiring, to end-stops, to the motion controller, to inside OpenPnP. 😉

Note, the thread JW indicated only addresses the mid-homing / balancing of the head on powerup, so the controller knows where the nozzles are, initially. And the thread then proposes a "luxury" solution to do so, that normal controller such as smoothie cannot support. There are much easier and simpler ways to do it.

_Mark

Message has been deleted

JW

Jun 16, 2024, 7:54:32 PMJun 16
to OpenPnP
As we've suggested, please provide a lengthy description of the issue and we can help.

Can you move the Z axis from Smoothie directly via USB or Ethernet, with OpenPnP out of the loop? What are your motor config settings; microstepping etc.

What NEMA 17? You can get pancake, low torque NEMA 17 steppers - all the way up to high torque NEMA 17 steppers.

If you're truly struggling with insufficient torque, not due to configuration, maybe the mechanical design is not correct. Please share all the details required, including mechanical design details etc, then we can help.

On Saturday, June 15, 2024 at 11:50:06 PM UTC+1 filipl...@gmail.com wrote:
I don't know how to configure the Z axis, the mechanical part and wiring are correct, but for some reason the z axis motor doesn't have the power to move the nozzles down. The motor is a NEMA 17.