Autofocus M12 lens

Patricio Cohen Sch.

Sep 28, 2021, 12:49:45 PM9/28/21
to OpenPnP
Hi guys,

Can someone please recommend me a M12 lens with motorized focus?

Thank you very much

Patricio

ma...@makr.zone

Sep 29, 2021, 3:44:27 AM9/29/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

I'm very very skeptical about auto-focus:

  1. Slow/unpredictable amount of time to adapt.
  2. May fail when contrasts are weak. May focus the wrong subject.
  3. May involve optical instability of the focal axis (run-out on the lens element, i.e. your camera will not consistently point at precisely the same point, which we absolutely need it to).
  4. May involve instability of scale (focus breathing).
  5. Is usually not needed, computer vision can deal with typical amount of focal blur.
  6. If you have your machine Z coordinates (feeder pick heights, PCB surface, etc.) very far apart, it is way better to fix that. Don't try to use auto-focus as an excuse.

At least for consumer cameras, auto-focus is for photography, where precise imaging stability is not an issue. For precision computer vision, it is problematic.

_Mark

Patricio Cohen Sch.

Sep 29, 2021, 12:09:41 PM9/29/21
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark for your reply

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenPnP" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/6f30291b-509c-8538-57c7-556b699bfec1%40makr.zone.