Converting Mesh Files(.stl files) to a CAD 3D Solid Model

Lee Ackerson

Apr 21, 2023, 1:49:29 PM4/21/23
to OpenPnP
Someone asked on one of the Maker forums if .stl files can be converted to a CAD solid file. Youtube search shows a way of using FreeCAD to convert .stl files to a alterable CAD file, but I would rather have a couple of teeth pull without pain killers than to go that route; there's an easier way. I took the PushPull Feeder .stl files (see OpenPNP>Hardware>Feeders) and converted them to step files(.stp) so that can be modified by Fusion 360, SolidWorks or other CAD programs.
Start Fusion 360 ( a free CAD for hobby users and startups) and using the MESH menu on the menu bar select the Insert pulldown menu. In the Insert pulldown menu click on the Insert Mesh then navigate to the .stl file on your computer and  select it. It will be displayed on the screen as a mesh model.
While still in the Mesh menu go to the Modify pulldown menu and select the Convert Mesh option and click on the mesh model to select it. Use the defaults in the selection box and hit return. And voila, you have a 3D model you can now alter to your liking. I think this is a powerful tool for OpenPNP users  it allows modifying other people's creations to exactly fit your needs.

mark maker

Apr 21, 2023, 2:56:32 PM4/21/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lee,

I hope you (and everybody else reading this) understand that this is not the idea. 😎

The feeder is extremely parametric and you would lose all that in the process.

Also, you need to fine-tune it for your 3D printer and your filament, using test prints, again through parameters. This is the price to pay for this feeder to not require any screws and metal springs etc. so you can just snap it together. For that it needs to be very precise.

Do the test prints as shown in this scene of the video (others reading this better start from the beginning):

https://youtu.be/cNCjjvCT4Fc?t=79

https://makr.zone/new-all-3d-printed-tapereel-feeder/399/

The only way for this to be successful, would be to do all the parametrization still in OpenSCAD, and as the very final and ultimate step, export as STL and then go into your CAD.

But then you can never change the printer or filament, or any of the many parametric options of the feeder. 😭

If you really want to modify it, better learn a bit of OpenSCAD 😁

_Mark

Lee Ackerson

Apr 21, 2023, 6:54:28 PM4/21/23
to OpenPnP
Hey Mark,

I did not mean to imply that people should take your design elements and hack it. You have done a incredible job of creating not only the design but all that work you put to allow users to customize it with setting. I was referring to the guy, Wolfgang, that asked the question if .stl files could be converted to step files. I think the conversion would be most useful to people who want to take things like a 3D printed light ring for the up camera and customize the mounting or hole pattern.