SMT460 Machine

carr...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 8:56:13 AM8/14/22
to OpenPnP
I just found OpenPnP forum, I have a Chinese SMT460 machine
that has been working for about 5 yrs and has had some issues
but none really beyond the fact it is 'Chinese' software..
the Hardware seems pretty good.
but I have to tweak it each time it is used...
I did not see directly if the OPEN PnP source could work with the
SMT460 and before I invest alot of time with this
can anyone give a thumbs up or down whether the SMT460 is
a candidate for this open source implementation ?

thanks
Chuck

Niclas Hedhman

Aug 17, 2022, 1:08:09 AM8/17/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com

No one is chiming in...

I don't have experience with that machine, but basically the answer
comes down to a handful of questions, such as;

1. How much work are you willing to put in?

2. Are you confident working with electrical wiring and electronics? How
about installing firmware for controller boards?

3. Do you depend on a rapid conversion, or is it ok that it will take
weeks/months longer than you anticipated?

In typical set-ups, OpenPnp uses a "g-code controller" board to handle
the interfacing with the physical hardware. IF your machine has such a
board already and it is well-documented, then it might be a quick and
easy thing to start using OpenPnp, and possibly using the old software
in parallel until you get it working.
But you may have a situation where the controller board(s) need to be
replaced, either the software or the entire board. Software change is
not particularly easy unless the board is well-known and g-code drivers
are available in the community somewhere. So, anticipate changing the
controller board physically. Then that maybe harder or easier, depending
on what type of motors is on the machine. Steppers=rather easy,
Servos=potentially harder, others=possibly very hard.

Then you have the Vision pipeline. Are the cameras good and can easily
integrate into Windows/Linux? If not, better to replace them, and then
it becomes a mechanical question on how hard that is.

Hope that helps
Niclas
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/1d4c5229-37fa-4e35-8da5-57cea274affan%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/1d4c5229-37fa-4e35-8da5-57cea274affan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

carr...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2022, 5:15:03 PM8/21/22
to OpenPnP
In short I am an electrical design engineer...   But so as not to duplicate any work or start from scratch my inquiry
to the SMT460 machine is a candidate was to see if anyone with the same system has jumped into this...

John Plocher

Aug 21, 2022, 5:22:55 PM8/21/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Dive into the SMT880 / SMT660 threads on Dave Jones' eevblog from a few years ago - someone there decompiled the ".NET" based control program and discovered that it is built on top of a reusable machine abstraction library; they used the decompiled / reconstructed source to fix bugs and customize things to match their workflow (i.e., not an OpenPnP port...), but certainly left enough of a clue/pointer for someone fluent in Windows to run with it...

  -John

Niclas Hedhman

Aug 22, 2022, 3:12:07 AM8/22/22
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-08-21 23:15, carr...@gmail.com wrote:
> In short I am an electrical design engineer... But so as not to
> duplicate any work or start from scratch my inquiry
> to the SMT460 machine is a candidate was to see if anyone with the
> same system has jumped into this...

_I_ haven't seen that.

My guess is that your least "risky" path is that you embrace the g-code
driver in OpenPnp, and figure out how much of existing electronics to
keep and what controller board you are going to use (see
https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/Motion-Controllers).

Vision system is the other critical point. You need to figure out if you
can get it to show up in the operating system (I recommend Linux) as a
webcam. It might be less work to replace cameras, if the current one is
analog and old.

Cheers
Niclas
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/57ea793c-4693-41ac-b835-680a557fc1c0n%40googlegroups.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/57ea793c-4693-41ac-b835-680a557fc1c0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Chuck

Feb 3, 2023, 5:40:51 PM2/3/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Nicals...

it's been a year since we emaild..

I have a questioj, Do you have a SMT460 machine... ?  Or similar   660 ?

chuck

here is my personal email   chu...@terradock.com
If you can please use it instead of gmail :)

chuck

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenPnP" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/f3faebf231e14e04ba8cb116a01cb8bc%40hedhman.org.

Niclas Hedhman

Feb 4, 2023, 7:07:44 AM2/4/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 2023-02-03 23:40, Chuck wrote:
> Nicals...
>
> it's been a year since we emaild..
>
> I have a questioj, Do you have a SMT460 machine... ? Or similar 660
> ?
>
> chuck

No. I am working to build my own from scratch
(https://github.com/niclash/dreamplacer), which will be a hybrid,
driving the X-Y directly with Modbus from OpenPnp and the Z-C1-C2 and
vaccum from G-code, possibly a Duet2 card that I have laying around.
Writing the drivers in OpenPnp for that, in Java, myself (I am a
programmer with this as a hobby).

Since that is progressing slower than I hoped, I bought a Siplace 80 F3
second hand which arrived last month, and waiting for its place to be
cleaned up. That one will not be retro-fitted with OpenPnp.

Cheers
Niclas

Chuck

Jun 30, 2024, 7:42:29 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey Niclas..

Was wanting to ask you a question on the smt460 screen for the Hi Def Camera.
On the HD camera settings there is  ( L1 ) setting See my attached, set to 100.

I emailed Jim Jang at the factory about this setting and his response was to not change it, just leave it alone.
He could not explain what it was, sad...
Also the Thr 127 setting he could not explain how this worked either!

Asked about getting a copy of the software so I could review and make changes, he said they no longer had it,
suspecting that was an excuse not to give out...

Have you looked into these two camera items and what the heck they may actually do ?

Also  :  I was building boards again last week and this has been an issue forever...
when I am placing SOT23 parts with the low def camera identify, each time it places the part it will rotate it
just a little, one way or the other, no constant here, and of the 9 pcs placed it is random which parts may get skewed...

As an experiment, in the Parts listing where you can select HiDef or HiSpeed camera from pull down menu,  I noticed there was an option for
NO CAMERA, so I set all 9 parts to NO CAMERA and each time the parts were placed perfectly...  wow....

I thought the HiSpd Camera was only for identification of parts not orientation, that was for only the HIDef camera!
Just wondering if you had and comment on this with the cameras and their operation.

Thanks, Hope all is well on your end, happy n healthy   :)

Chuck
Florida, USA

IMG_0742.png

nic...@hedhman.org

Jun 30, 2024, 7:48:41 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to ope...@googlegroups.com

I think you didn't read my last message very carefully, or you have
forgotten. I never have had a SMT460 and can't help you out.

Thanks
Niclas
> Groups "OpenPnP" group.
> an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/CAHY19idH09-mmKaYwif_dGkWEquMtz7xZ9csV9N8zuKTv7PGYg%40mail.gmail.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/CAHY19idH09-mmKaYwif_dGkWEquMtz7xZ9csV9N8zuKTv7PGYg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Chuck

Jun 30, 2024, 8:22:19 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Ah     so sorry   :)

chuck