My shapeoko 2 to OpenPNP conversion thread

Wireb

Aug 21, 2016, 5:49:20 PM8/21/16
to OpenPnP
This tread is mainly to document my progress of converting a used Shapeoko 2 to a pick and place. Inital thoughts was only OpenPnP but after reading some of the threads I think I also want to support some sort of "assisted PnP" for smaller job runs where a full OpenPnP program does not make sense.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and comments! First time using OpenPnP / building a PnP so may be making some bad assumptions in the process.

Wireb

Aug 21, 2016, 5:52:15 PM8/21/16
to OpenPnP
Overview of the Shapeoko as I got it:

Wireb

Aug 21, 2016, 7:01:58 PM8/21/16
to OpenPnP
Well after quite a bit of cleaning, fitting, and blue loctite have the X and Y axis working:

Next step is to work on the Z axis.
-Currently have a pair of Nema 11 motors on order for R1 and R2.
-Have a pair of 2" travel ball slides. (1" of useful travel if using belt or rack drive)
-Going to use Juki 5xx nozzles and machine myself a set of Ray's adapters. (just ordered 250 2mm ball bearings if anyone else needs some.)
-Have not fully decided if I am going to go with a rack or belt between the sides and stepper yet. Leaning belt but need to make sure I have space under the slides for the pulley.

Today I have 3.5" of clearance between the bottom of the X slide to the bed. The stack up juki nozzle + adapter (54.05mm) and stepper motor shaft (18mm) minus overlap (5mm) gives me a reach of ~2.64" that plus the 1" usable slide travel should be able to close the 3.5" gap.

Looks like the motors and some of the other parts will be in late this week. Hopefully I can start machining the motor mounts and brackets next weekend. Still need to find a source for Juki nozzles. Found a vendor on ebay but not sure if $12 a nozzle is a good deal or not.

Wireb

Aug 21, 2016, 7:04:33 PM8/21/16
to OpenPnP
Also set up a spreadsheet to track spending on the conversion here:

Note I have a extensive junk box so some of my choices are not the cheapest if you have to buy new.
But they were the cheapest options because I had some surplus on hand.

Jacob Christ

Aug 21, 2016, 9:16:46 PM8/21/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com

We are building our machine out of a shapeoko. I bought it so long ago I don't remember if it is a 1 or a 2 but it looks just like yours. We are using a 5 axis smoothie but with the new sub driver features we probably could get by with something else. At some point in the future we will try to convert to pontech motor controllers since we have hundreds of those laying around.

Jacob

On Aug 21, 2016 2:49 PM, "Wireb" <wi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
This tread is mainly to document my progress of converting a used Shapeoko 2 to a pick and place. Inital thoughts was only OpenPnP but after reading some of the threads I think I also want to support some sort of "assisted PnP" for smaller job runs where a full OpenPnP program does not make sense.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions and comments! First time using OpenPnP / building a PnP so may be making some bad assumptions in the process.

Wireb

Aug 21, 2016, 10:27:36 PM8/21/16
to OpenPnP
Easiest way I have fond to tell the difference is to look at the mounting brackets between the Y rails and the bed.

Shapeoko 1
The rails are connected together by a solid piece of stamped metal the full height of the rails. (prevents you from loading long stock in the machine.)
Shapeoko 2
The rails are connected to the bed by individual plates that screw into some 80/20 extrusion. (downside is getting the thing square as everything can slide around)
Shapeoko 3
The rails are connected together by a solid piece of stamped metal that is folded under the bed.The center of the ends has been cut out to allow long stock in the machine.

Yea I am converting mine using a bunch of random parts I have around. Currently only have one motion board on hand and it is earmarked for the laser cutter rebuild. Not sure what I am going to use as a controller yet need to do reading on that yet.

Wireb

Aug 22, 2016, 8:37:02 AM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
Some math for this morning. (all assuming an ideal machine with no backlash or belt stretch)

The X and Y belts are GT2 as best I can tell with 2mm pitch and 20T sprockets.
This combined with standard 1.8deg steppers gives ~0.2mm (0.0079") per full step.
Using a 1/8 step driver drops the step distance to 0.025mm (0.00098") per step.

Not sure how well micro stepping actually works beyond 1/4. I know back in the day it was quite iffy but stepper drivers have come a long way since then.

The smallest common sprocket for GT2 is 16T and would change the above math to 0.02mm (0.00079") per step using the same 1/8 step driver.

For now I think I am going to go stick with the 20T sprockets I have and try and go with a stepper driver that can do 1/16 or better micro stepping. Even if I am limited to 1/4 step I should be able to place 0603 parts with the 20T. (2/3 pad alignment)

Wireb

Aug 22, 2016, 5:10:26 PM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
Well already changed my mind and ordered some more 5mm bore 16 tooth sprockets/pulleys (never sure what the correct term is for a timing belt). The Y axis will be a royal PitA to get to once the Z is assembled so want to swap now vs later.

Looking around a 15 tooth pulley is as small as you can go with a 5mm bore but also extremely rare. 16 tooth is much easier to get and the standard 20 tooth you can find anywhere.

Karl Lew

Aug 22, 2016, 5:39:19 PM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
Thanks for the video. This is especially interesting since I started with MakerSlide initially for FirePaste but have abandoned that for flanged bearings. We're solving many of the same problems. :D

Wireb

Aug 22, 2016, 6:08:51 PM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
No problem glad someone watches them :)

Currently my 2 fears on the slides are:
1.) belt/spring stretch causing excessive backlash
2.) rail adjusters (nuts with eccentric screw holes) coming loose over time.

Second one is only annoying and easily fixed with a 8mm wrench and alen key.  First one is more serious and not sure what the fix would be other than leads crews or rack and pinion

Mark Harris

Aug 22, 2016, 6:10:36 PM8/22/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
1) Larger width belts, reinforced belts :)

Wireb

Aug 22, 2016, 6:24:21 PM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
True and would hopefully be less pain full than converting to racks/lead screws :)

Red Davies

Aug 22, 2016, 7:34:10 PM8/22/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Which is the pain im suffering through currently.

My kingdom for a way to cut propper plates...

On Aug 22, 2016 6:24 PM, "Wireb" <wi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
True and would hopefully be less pain full than converting to racks/lead screws :)

Wireb

Aug 22, 2016, 11:25:27 PM8/22/16
to OpenPnP
Z axis progress

First up some spacers to offset the Z slides so they clear the screw heads

Next up modified one of the X axis plates to take the slides, idler pulley, and stepper motor in a higher location (so it does not collide with the X axis motor.)

Ran out of 6-32 cap screws so was not able to mount and test the slides yet. Also need to add slots to the spacer blocks to clear one more set of screw heads.

So off to Ace tomorrow to pick up some 5/8" long screws.

Wireb

Aug 23, 2016, 10:08:29 PM8/23/16
to OpenPnP

Got the screws I needed and the slides worked out well. Can get to all the cross carriage bolts without removing the slides.

Started work on the belt clamps (aluminum blocks 0.8x0.3x.125) but my machine is too big to push a 1/32 endmill without snapping it (I am just not steady enough at cranking).
So need to order a 1mm slitting saw before I can make any more progress on the clamp surfaces. Can work on the bases and try and figure out exactly where I want the belt set and modify the slides for mounting the belt to it.

Wireb

Aug 24, 2016, 11:23:12 PM8/24/16
to OpenPnP

Got my Z axis mostly assembled today

Still need to make the "flag" for the home switch and mount the opto-interrupter for it.

After that is done time to start work on the nozzle stepper mounts.

Wireb

Aug 27, 2016, 12:45:51 AM8/27/16
to OpenPnP
Today's progress is the Z home switch, Rollers mounting distance, and the nozzle stepper motor mounts. Need to make another run to the hardware store sort a few screws and lock washers to finish the assembly.

Wireb

Aug 28, 2016, 5:31:47 PM8/28/16
to OpenPnP
Another progress update.

Jason von Nieda

Aug 28, 2016, 5:53:02 PM8/28/16
to OpenPnP
Nice video Peter! Looks like it's coming along very nicely, and very quickly! Are the rotation steppers mounted in aluminum square tube that you've drilled and milled? Looks really solid, and gives you lots of extra mounting options.

Jason

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM Wireb <wi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Another progress update.

Wireb

Aug 28, 2016, 8:04:12 PM8/28/16
to OpenPnP
Yep 4 2.5mm screws hold in each one. Just holding off installing them till the air fittings and nozzle holders are ready.
The center 4 holes in the front are to get to the slide mounting screws. The outer 4 holes are tapped 6-32 for mounting extras (camera and possibly a paste dispenser someday)

Next up figuring out which way I want to go on drivers and cameras

mojalovaa1

Oct 10, 2016, 6:14:50 PM10/10/16
to OpenPnP
where I can buy that opto ?

Jacob Christ

Oct 10, 2016, 6:16:43 PM10/10/16
to OpenPnP
These are my favorites:

Jacob Christ
ProLinear/PONTECH, Inc.
+1 (909) 652-0670 Phone
http://www.pontech.com

Jacob Christ

Oct 10, 2016, 6:17:23 PM10/10/16
to OpenPnP

Jacob Christ
ProLinear/PONTECH, Inc.
+1 (909) 652-0670 Phone
http://www.pontech.com

Wireb

Oct 10, 2016, 6:22:59 PM10/10/16
to OpenPnP
Those optos are:
with mating cable

Really nice to work with but expensive (~$50 a set). Only reason I used them is I had extras on hand already from a different project.
Just about any gap sensor will work. I prefer the ones with built in logic level / open drain/collector outputs vs raw photodiodes as they deal better with long cable runs.

Jacob Christ

Oct 10, 2016, 6:30:15 PM10/10/16
to OpenPnP
Ouch, $30 bucks + $20 cable vs $3.60.  The reason they are my favorite is because I'm cheep.

Jacob

Jacob Christ
ProLinear/PONTECH, Inc.
+1 (909) 652-0670 Phone
http://www.pontech.com

Wireb

Jan 8, 2017, 9:53:49 PM1/8/17
to OpenPnP
Latest updates:

Swapped out the bed for a aluminum plate.

Wireb

Apr 9, 2017, 11:12:07 PM4/9/17
to OpenPnP
Finally have some time to work on this project again. Latest update

Wireb

Apr 16, 2017, 11:57:58 PM4/16/17
to OpenPnP
Part 6 more cable guides:

Wireb

Apr 23, 2017, 10:27:24 PM4/23/17
to OpenPnP
Part 7 last of the cable drag chain mounting.

Up next down looking cameras

Jason von Nieda

Apr 24, 2017, 11:17:07 AM4/24/17
to OpenPnP
Nice update Peter. I like the clamp you made for the cable chain. Mine uses two screws and it still flexes quite a bit. I think the clamp would be a good improvement.

Jason

Wireb

Apr 27, 2017, 1:13:18 PM4/27/17
to OpenPnP
If I had to do it again would use a "flat head" screw and counter sink the plate so the screw head sits flush. Once I start cabling things I may go back and swap this out but for now leaving it as is.

Wireb

Apr 30, 2017, 10:30:14 PM4/30/17
to OpenPnP
Part 8 OpenPNP installed and playing with the cameras:
https://youtu.be/ufzygVoizi0

Wireb

May 7, 2017, 8:10:08 PM5/7/17
to OpenPnP
Part 9 more camera mount work

Wireb

May 17, 2017, 11:16:02 PM5/17/17
to OpenPnP
Part 10 more down looking camera mount progress

Wireb

May 21, 2017, 10:24:12 PM5/21/17
to OpenPnP
Part 11 still upper camera mount:
https://youtu.be/G3ufRcyC1xU

Wireb

Jun 5, 2017, 10:45:32 PM6/5/17
to OpenPnP

Wireb

Nov 9, 2019, 4:51:51 PM11/9/19
to OpenPnP
Not dead yet...

Part 13 for real.

Hoping to get back to editing one of these a week. Will see how I do.

Wireb

Nov 23, 2019, 7:14:43 PM11/23/19
to OpenPnP
Part 14 from last weekend (was traveling forgot to post here).

Will work on the next part soon.

Wireb

Nov 24, 2019, 3:54:58 PM11/24/19
to OpenPnP
Part 15 is uploaded now:

Playing with camera focus and mounting distance.

Wireb

Nov 30, 2019, 9:48:08 PM11/30/19
to OpenPnP
Part 16 more playing with the camera and getting the mounting distance dialed in.

Wireb

Dec 8, 2019, 9:49:05 PM12/8/19
to OpenPnP
Part 17 more down looking camera mount work.

Wireb

Dec 15, 2019, 4:13:42 PM12/15/19
to OpenPnP
Twofer this week.

End of camera mount:

Start of tip holders:

Wireb

Dec 25, 2019, 6:44:32 PM12/25/19
to OpenPnP

Bit late this week due to Xmas but here is some more holder turning.

Wireb

Dec 30, 2019, 2:17:16 PM12/30/19
to OpenPnP
Bit of a short video due to the holidays and how thinks lined up.
Finishing the body lathe work.

Wireb

Jan 12, 2020, 7:05:10 PM1/12/20
to OpenPnP
Video for last week start of the locking collar lathe work:

This week finishing the lathe work on the locking collar.

Wireb

Mar 21, 2020, 6:34:10 PM3/21/20
to OpenPnP
Got some time back from other projects so edited some more video together.

Brynn Rogers

Apr 8, 2020, 3:46:38 PM4/8/20
to OpenPnP
What machine do you have?    I have a Shoptask Bridgemill, which has some similarities to yours
Brynn

Wireb

Apr 18, 2020, 6:46:30 PM4/18/20
to OpenPnP
Its a Central Machinery 44142 (Harbor Freight brand) though they stopped selling it shortly after I got mine. Thankfully Grizzly sells one that is very very similar that the parts are interchangeable with https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-31-3-4-HP-Combo-Lathe-Mill/G9729 The original machine had nylon edged gears in the head stock and I manage to strip one doing some low pitch threading. Grizzly had both the originals and all steel upgrades. Replaced the one I stripped with the steel version and have the other nylon headstock gear still in there for now and the steel version in the drawer for when I mess it up. (It was back ordered when I did the repair). Other than that made a reversing gear (for left hand threads) and swapped the motors for 1HP 3 phase with phase drives for variable speed. (1HP is about the biggest phase converter you can get for reasonable cost that will run on single phase input). And added a software DRO (calipers in the short dimensions and a glass scale along the back) that runs on the old laptop on the right. Some point will upgrade to scales on all axis and move to a raspberry PI with either a screen or 7seg LED readouts. (have the parts just not the time to work on it lately)

Right now I need to relevel my bed as there is a few deg of twist in it from end to end. Overall it has done what I needed with some issues just due to the size of the machine. But at the time it was the largest lathe I could afford for the space I had to put it. Honestly the lathe is nice but the mill attachment leaves some things to be desired.

Wireb

Apr 18, 2020, 7:12:59 PM4/18/20
to OpenPnP
Next part ready here more drilling of the tip adapters

https://youtu.be/Tkg_fPAo9T4

Wireb

May 3, 2020, 1:31:06 PM5/3/20
to OpenPnP
Part 26 up last of the adapter machining video and start of the tip assembly

Wireb

May 9, 2020, 5:02:21 PM5/9/20
to OpenPnP
Part 27 end of the tip machining and start of the pickup sensor design and build

Wireb

May 17, 2020, 6:31:53 PM5/17/20
to OpenPnP
Part 29 is up. Z sensor body  cleanup and theory

Wireb

May 25, 2020, 3:09:40 PM5/25/20
to OpenPnP
More sensor assembly (slot sensor installed)

Wireb

May 31, 2020, 4:55:57 PM5/31/20
to OpenPnP
Part 30 sensor bearing assembly part 1

Wireb

Jul 12, 2020, 8:56:18 PM7/12/20
to OpenPnP
Part 31 working on the head touch off sensor.

Wireb

Aug 2, 2020, 3:18:38 PM8/2/20
to OpenPnP
Part 32 is up. Working on the tip sensor flag

Wireb

Oct 25, 2020, 6:08:03 PM10/25/20
to OpenPnP
Part 33 is up setting flag distance and soldering it

Wireb

Mar 13, 2021, 7:41:19 PM3/13/21
to OpenPnP

Still going part 34

Wireb

Mar 13, 2021, 7:49:40 PM3/13/21
to OpenPnP
And 35 since 34 was short.

Wireb

Mar 28, 2021, 5:13:25 PM3/28/21
to OpenPnP

Wireb

Apr 11, 2021, 2:45:36 PM4/11/21
to OpenPnP
Short video this week:

Wireb

May 2, 2021, 3:03:31 PM5/2/21
to OpenPnP
Pick sensor PCB build

Wireb

May 16, 2021, 1:49:39 PM5/16/21
to OpenPnP
Pick sensor debug part 1

Wireb

May 23, 2021, 6:53:26 PM5/23/21
to OpenPnP

Wireb

Jul 4, 2021, 7:49:18 PM7/4/21
to OpenPnP
https://youtu.be/Oodg6c_Gl24
sensor installation into the probe body.

Wireb

Nov 20, 2021, 6:40:42 PM11/20/21
to OpenPnP
Part 42 sensor to stepper assembly and testing

Wireb

Nov 20, 2021, 6:51:54 PM11/20/21
to OpenPnP
Part 43 how to glue PVC AKA starting the vac tank

Wireb

Nov 20, 2021, 7:10:53 PM11/20/21
to OpenPnP
Part 44 3D printed mounting parts

Wireb

Nov 20, 2021, 7:21:27 PM11/20/21
to OpenPnP
Part 45 3D printed mistakes, plans for corrections, and a tip

Wireb

Nov 22, 2021, 7:18:56 PM11/22/21
to OpenPnP
Part 46 cables and tubes are in

Wireb

Nov 22, 2021, 7:31:18 PM11/22/21
to OpenPnP
Part 47 cable tray stuffage and wire use.

Wireb

Dec 4, 2021, 8:10:58 PM12/4/21
to OpenPnP
Part 48 tapping holes

Wireb

Jan 21, 2022, 9:48:47 PM1/21/22
to OpenPnP
Part 49 cleaning up the holes and mounting terminal strips

https://youtu.be/KT28aARpOfY