Jerk settings - Axis Configuration - latest OpenPnP installed

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 2:51:01 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP

I had a working PnP and have installed latest version of OpenPnP (on top of previous several months old version). After installation,  my PnP was not working until I found in I&S that I need to change settings in Axis configuration for all my axis .
I have Yashkawa servo drives on my X and Y axis and I use steppers only on Head.  X and Y axis were moving very very slow at the start.

I needed to set very high values of "Jerk" in order to get some speed out of my Servos and steppers. I could not find in Wiki which values should I use... - I still have no rotation on my 4 nozzle steppers...
I managed somehow to get homing working - but after homing my PnP "Jumps" (very fast move in X and Y to up_camera location and stops there. I hear some strange sound - I think from my 4 rotation steppers - they do not rotate at all - and I can not move out from this location .... I need to restart OpenPnP and do homing again - the same error is there and I am stuck here .

I need to restart PnP several times to get Schultz COM port to be recognized..

I need help to get PnP beck to working condition.

- enclosed - screen shot Axis C1 - see jerk values .. Config and I&S +trace-traceLog

2024-04-02 08_31_57-OpenPnP - I&S.png
Trace-TraceLog.txt
2024-04-02 08_33_19-D__config.txt - Notepad++.png

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 2:52:30 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Axis C1 Settings enclosed
Rotational axis C1.png

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 3:02:11 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Trace Trace - at erorr  - restart needed - why ?
Trace-trace-2.txt

mark maker

Apr 2, 2024, 4:00:57 AMApr 2
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

I cannot see how updating from only a few month ago can have such a disruptive impact. You must have changed other things too. Also I don't see how the Jerk setting has anything to do with it.

From the log:

Your Smoothie seems to lose connection (Read error). Any electrical/ground problems on USB? Isolator present?

Your fiducial pipeline also has a problem. I recommend using the stock pipeline.

_Mark

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 4:10:56 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Thanks Jan & Mark ...
I got Open PnP a bit further now- my rotation axis still couse error as soon as I try to rotate 1 of 4 axis its a error .
- see enclosed Log trace trace - latest to where I came...- I did some calibration after auto calibration of nossels is set to manual I can get all motions except rotation of nozzles !! ???
 Why does my rotation  of 1 of 4 nossles  kick out OpenPnP and restart is needed ?
Can you see anything in Log ??

trace-trace.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 4:12:58 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
To clarify - I did not do anything to software change - I upgraded my mechanics of Vacuum and I ended up where I am now...

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 4:18:09 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
My self as well I wonder why I needed to set "Jerk" for my Servo drives to higher values .....

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 4:25:39 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
I needed to drasticly  higher all values in Kinematic settings for X and Y servos to work
Kinematic settings.png

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 7:14:35 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP

Yes I do loose my USB port to start the PnP on the beginning but after that when I home the machine the Port stays working...

I disconnected my 4 rotation steppers from smoothie and I tried all motions again and homing works, x, y, z1 & z2 works but again as soon as I try to rotate (Jog) one of not wired rotation steppers connection fails and I need to restart the OpenPnP   -- why is this happening ?

See trace trace enclosed ( at 13h today local time).

trace-trace13.01h 1.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 7:21:33 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Repeated test again re-start needed ???
trace trace -13.19h
trace-trace13.19h .txt

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 7:47:44 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP
I take a lunch brake -
my latest log enclosed - all works just rotation remains problem and restart is needed.
Log 13.40h
Trace-Trace 13.40h

derek....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2024, 8:00:23 AMApr 2
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Hi, This may or may not help, I had a similar issue before and it was something with my wiring causing a short and resetting the controller, this is why the USB hangs and needed restart, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was, could have been something with an external long reset wire, not sure.

If it goes wrong when you try to jog a particular axis then perhaps the issue is with the driver or wiring.

I could be completely wrong, but this was my issue, I believe I was using TinyG controller at the time.

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 10:04:19 AMApr 2
to OpenPnP

Hello Derk

Thanks for your tips - I was thinking the same way, this is why I disconnected my rotational steppers and repeated basic motion tests ----- but I see  the same problem.

I have possibility to disconnect rotational steppers wires at the head location (on top of X axis = I did this first)   and at Smoothiboard (I will test this as well later today).

But I still wonder why I had to increase all the values  = Feed Rate, Acceleration and Jerk for two of my servos and 6 steppers in Kinematic settings after updating Open PnP to latest version.   I had January or Feb. 2024 version installed earlier when my PnP was working .....

mark maker

Apr 2, 2024, 10:19:01 AMApr 2
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> But I still wonder why I had to increase all the values  = Feed Rate, Acceleration and Jerk for two of my servos and 6 steppers in Kinematic settings after updating Open PnP to latest version.

Are you sure? Have you checked the Speed % slider?

The only thing remotely related would be this:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/1600

But I do not see how this could matter. And the new option is OFF by default.

_Mark

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 12:47:53 PMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Hello Mark,
Yes I am sure - my Jog Slider is /was always at abt 90%
Jog View.png

Now, I disconnected the rotation stepper cables from Smoothieboard and I am facing the same problem - no rotation of bouth nozzle axes and restart OpenPnP is needed again for any further movement of head in x or y or z axes...

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 1:00:53 PMApr 2
to OpenPnP
Mark - see this video - I change Jerk setting only for X axe - see the speed change!!   ( at my start yesterday on servos I had jerk at value "0" )
https://youtu.be/rxZJz09wLY4

Jan

Apr 2, 2024, 5:44:57 PMApr 2
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 02.04.2024 16:18, 'mark maker' via OpenPnP wrote:
> /> But I still wonder why I had to increase all the values  = Feed Rate,
> Acceleration and Jerk for two of my servos and 6 steppers in Kinematic
> settings after updating Open PnP to latest version.
> /
>
> Are you sure? Have you checked the *Speed %* slider?
>
> The only thing remotely related would be this:
>
> https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/pull/1600
>
> But I do not see how this could matter. And the new option is OFF by
> default.

I just verified using the simulator, that there is some dependency on
jerk, even if Smoothie (I'm concluding that from your first post, Mike)
has no concept of jerk. Depending on the Motion Controller Type, the
accelerations send to the controller (M204) and feed-rate (F) change.
Using ModeratedConstantAcceleration the acceleration is lower even with
large jerk values compared to jerk == 0. The feed-rate is also lower
when jerk is not 0. With jerk == 0, acceleration and feed-rate are as
configured when jogging 100mm. For ConstantAcceleration jerk does not
influence the acceleration or feed-rate.
According to your log trace-trace13:01h 1.txt OpenPnP sends
accelerations in the order of the kinematic settings picture you posted.
There it says that your acceleration is 3000mm/s^2 and in the logs I
find "M204 S6656" and "M204 S2219" but also "M204 S156". The first value
is higher then configured and the last very low (which might be ok for a
very short move).
Unfortunately I can't see that PR #1600 might explain any of your
observations and I also don't see why your machine runs slower then
expected. According to your logs and picture, the controller is feed
with the parameters your configured.
To my limited understanding your acceleration seems to be low compared
to your feed-rate. I'm using a feed-rate of 1800mm/s and an acceleration
of 18000mm/s^2 with stepper motors and the values are limited by the
table the machine is mounted on.

Jan

> On 02.04.2024 16:04, Mike Menci wrote:
>>
>> Hello Derk
>>
>> Thanks for your tips - I was thinking the same way, this is why I
>> disconnected my rotational steppers and repeated basic motion tests
>> ----- but I see  the same problem.
>>
>> I have possibility to disconnect rotational steppers wires at the head
>> location (on top of X axis = I did this first)   and at Smoothiboard
>> (I will test this as well later today).
>>
>> But I still wonder why I had to increase all the values  = Feed Rate,
>> Acceleration and Jerk for two of my servos and 6 steppers in Kinematic
>> settings after updating Open PnP to latest version.   I had January or
>> Feb. 2024 version installed earlier when my PnP was working .....
>>

>> On Tuesday 2 April 2024 at 14:00:23 UTC+2 Derk wrote:
>>
>> Hi, This may or may not help, I had a similar issue before and it
>> was something with my wiring causing a short and resetting the
>> controller, this is why the USB hangs and needed restart, I cannot
>> for the life of me remember what it was, could have been something
>> with an external long reset wire, not sure.
>>
>> If it goes wrong when you try to jog a particular axis then
>> perhaps the issue is with the driver or wiring.
>>
>> I could be completely wrong, but this was my issue, I believe I
>> was using TinyG controller at the time.

Mike Menci

Apr 2, 2024, 6:07:13 PMApr 2
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Jan thanks for your time, It’s midnight here, I will look at this more closely tomorrow
Mike
Sent from my iPhone

> On 2 Apr 2024, at 23.44, 'Jan' via OpenPnP <ope...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com.

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 2:31:55 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Jan
This morning I started the machine and added task -to callibrate Nozzle
Mochine home - normal and I jog it a bit and than I presssed calibrate nozzle N1 -   with very high speed it moved to Up-camera and stopped there - kicked out controlls - restart needed.... (I know this is due to nozzle rotation again the problem remains ) BUT:
- Why such a crazy speed - where is it comming from ? which settings ?
Nozzle Calibration.png

trace trace enclosed
Mike
Trace-Trace_8_22.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 2:39:43 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Repeated the test with Speed slider at min.:
Speed down.png
Stll very high speed to up camera and kicking out - restart needed.

I enclose herewith my machine file for your review please.
Thanks
Mike

machine.xml

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 2:58:05 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP

And herewith my 2023 Dec machine file compared with today's machine file ;

I noted this differences:

machine_11_12_23.xml
machine_11_12_23 and 2_4_24.xml - Notepad++compare4.png
New -send on change - why.png
machine_11_12_23 and 2_4_24.xml - Notepad++compare2.png
machine_2_4_24.xml
machine_11_12_23 and 2_4_24.xml - Notepad++compare3.png
machine_11_12_23 and 2_4_24.xml - Notepad++compare1.png

mark maker

Apr 3, 2024, 3:08:19 AMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com

What Jan explained is true. ModeratedConstantAcceleration takes the Jerk settings into consideration. From the Wiki:

  • ModeratedConstantAcceleration:

    Apply motion planning assuming a controller with constant acceleration motion control but moderate the acceleration and velocity to resemble those of 3rd order control, resulting in a move that takes the same amount of time and has similar average acceleration.

    This will reduce vibrations to a degree.

    Why? The moderation means that short moves accelerate more gently, as the acceleration is quickly followed by deceleration, which seems to agitate the machine more. Long moves are allowed to accelerate and decelerate much harder, but as they do so longer, this seems to induce less vibrations. If you think of the acceleration/deceleration ramp as a "half wave", the long move has a longer wave-length i.e. lower frequency and therefore seems to resonate less with the machine frame. Well, it helps on my machine.

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/GcodeAsyncDriver#motion-control-type

So this explains the very low acceleration. Jerk limits are typically at multiple ten thousand mm/s-3, setting them as low as you have in the video is clearly not a good setting.

But this has not changed for years now. So it does not explain why the behavior would have changed with the OpenPnP update. Also Jan said the log shows correct feed-rates being sent.

Actual problem: your machine seems to generate ground bounce when moving fast, which is not surprising at all once you know what happens. See points 5-7 here:
https://makr.zone/grounding-the-machine/283/

The only reliable, professional solution is to use a USB isolator. Don't find excuses. Buy one! 😉

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2107

If you use a laptop to run OpenPnP you can try run it from batteries, as a temporary measure. But this only works as long as you do not have any other devices connected that themselves are grounded, e.g. computer monitor, sound, other USB devices or hubs. Note: USB cameras are usually not grounded, i.e. their PCB screw holes and outer copper are not connected to their circuit ground (at least that's true for ELP and other models I have).

_Mark

Jan

Apr 3, 2024, 4:02:02 AMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark!

On 03.04.2024 09:08, 'mark maker' via OpenPnP wrote:
[...]
> *ModeratedConstantAcceleration:*

[...]
> velocity to resemble those of 3rd order control, resulting in a move
> that takes the same amount of time and has similar average acceleration.

Just for the speed junkies among use: with jerk == 0 or jerk >~
feed-rate * acceleration movements take the same time as with
ConstantAcceleration. In other words 0 < jerk < feed-rate * acceleration
makes the machine slower (if configured for
ModeratedConstantAcceleration). ;-)

Jan

mark maker

Apr 3, 2024, 4:17:24 AMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Yes. Per axis. Those that have rock solid machines (no vibrations), can also just use ConstantAcceleration which is ignoring  Jerk limits altogether. 😉

CAUTION: This does not apply to TinyG users, where Jerk is always relevant, those must use SimpleSCurve

Read the Wiki:

https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/wiki/GcodeAsyncDriver#motion-control-type

_Mark

Jan

Apr 3, 2024, 4:24:03 AMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!
Your log looks a little strange to me: it shows you jogging 100mm steps
at around 8:21:36. Then at 08:22:19.990 you seemed to start the nozzle
tip calibration (the NozzleCalibration.Starting script is executed). At
08:22:19.999 the nozzle is send to the cameras location (at -180°). At
08:22:20.001 your controller reports, that all motion has finished.
That's ~2ms for about 200mm (in X). The motion itself is configured for
an acceleration of 3016mm/s and a feed-rate of F37988 (I suppose its
mm/min). Neglecting the feed-rate limit the time is t = 2 sqrt(distance
/ acceleration) = ~515ms. So I'm either referring to the wrong M400 for
that movement or your controller is not respecting the acceleration
limit and uses an insane 1e8mm/s^2.
I'd suggest you check the cabling of the rotation motors. In case there
is an error that resets your controller when trying to rotate and in
case your x/y drivers continue to drive the motors for some time after
the controller has died making any assumption on the
acceleration/feed-rate from the data they already received, then that
might explain your observations.

Jan

On 03.04.2024 08:31, Mike Menci wrote:
> Jan
> This morning I started the machine and added task -to callibrate Nozzle
> Mochine home - normal and I jog it a bit and than I presssed calibrate
> nozzle N1 -   with very high speed it moved to Up-camera and stopped
> there - kicked out controlls - restart needed.... (I know this is due to
> nozzle rotation again the problem remains ) BUT:
> - Why such a crazy speed - where is it comming from ? which settings ?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/cb317d4f-1dfb-4039-a0a5-7e0ac498a5ccn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/cb317d4f-1dfb-4039-a0a5-7e0ac498a5ccn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/cb317d4f-1dfb-4039-a0a5-7e0ac498a5ccn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/cb317d4f-1dfb-4039-a0a5-7e0ac498a5ccn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> it, send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/5b060560-fb6c-41c7-a0c7-8f9f0f7ad96bn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/5b060560-fb6c-41c7-a0c7-8f9f0f7ad96bn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/5b060560-fb6c-41c7-a0c7-8f9f0f7ad96bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/5b060560-fb6c-41c7-a0c7-8f9f0f7ad96bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >> --
> it, send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> > --
> send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 6:48:31 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark ,
I use USB isolator :
and my Computer is not notebook...

I will study and do further tests...
Miike
Usb isolator.png
MyCompHP_AllinOne 24 DP1.png

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 7:09:21 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP

Jan,

You need to note that I run servos - with Yaskawa controller and I use from Smoothie only Step GND and Dir signal... for X and Y drives - This has influence in actual timing of moves in x and y.

"  So I'm either referring to the wrong M400 for
that movement or your controller is not respecting the acceleration
limit and uses an insane 1e8mm/s^2."

Note that  there is auto and fine tuning of Axis done by Yaskawa software SigmaWin+ - see pdf enclosed...  and a video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaYTXCEqjp8

Based on each axe (x and y separatly) weight and accelerations Yaskawa is using balanced motions in both axis...

But above is not my problem now and works as expected.

The problem remains with rotational  4 nozzles - as soon as I press on Jog rotation or calibrate nozzles move STOPS when rotations would need to happen and machine called for restart.  Yesterday I did a test with my cables disconnected from smoothie and steppers and the error remains unchanged - re start is needed.

I will do further tests this evening

SigmaWin+ Ver. 7.43 Usage Notes .pdf

Jan

Apr 3, 2024, 8:24:32 AMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!

On 03.04.2024 13:09, Mike Menci wrote:
> Jan,
>
> You need to note that I run_servos - with Yaskawa controller_ and I use
> from Smoothie only Step GND and Dir signal... for X and Y drives - This
> has influence in actual timing of moves in x and y.

I think I understand: with step and dir generated by Smoothie, Smoohtie
is responsible for the timing and synchronization of all axis. (This is
the same for stepper motor driver. They also get step and dir signals.)
Hence movements shall reflect the configured feed-rate and acceleration
limits and be executed in the time it takes.

[...]
> The problem remains with rotational 4 nozzles - as soon as I press on
> Jog rotation or calibrate nozzles move_STOPS when rotations would need
> to happen and machine called for restar_t.  Yesterday I did a test with
> my cables disconnected from smoothie and steppers and the error remains
> unchanged - re start is needed.

I'm sorry, I'm lost.
According to the machine.xmls your attached earlier, your backlash
settings have changed. Your feed-rate and jerk settings are much higher
now. Your cameras pixel/mm has also changed as well as some parameters
of your camera. Your homing fiducial has changed by 1mm in x and y. Your
HOMVE_TO_COMMAND has changed. Maybe you wont to review that because it
only contains 6 axis. With your four-nozzle machine I would expect that
to need more. You have some M400 in your G-Code commands. I'd consider
removing them in favor for appropriate coordination settings.
Please check the Motion Control Type of your "Smoothie" controller: it
has changed from ModeratedConstantAcceleration" to "SimpleSCurve". IIRC
this is to advanced for Smoothie and its serial interface.

Jan
> [...]
> > it, send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/17327073-1bb9-48a3-a45d-3cca7990d9c6%40makr.zone?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> > >
> > > --
> > send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 10:24:14 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Jan,
Thanks for supporting my Issue with my PnP.
I loaded old Jan2024 machine and did some "Jurk" value up  to 10000 for x and y only
Gcode home 400 went out...

What I mean with:
"The problem remains with rotational 4 nozzles - as soon as I press on any
> Jog rotation or calibrate nozzles machine_STOPS  - It STOPS when rotations would need
> to happen and machine is needed to  restart.
Yesterday I did a test with
> my cables disconnected from smoothie and steppers and the error remains
> unchanged - re start is needed.

You can see this at the end of video:
and I will upload the video - link here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z95UemNcdKg
herewith Trace Trace for Video you can compare it..  please -
and let me know what You noticed ??
I hope this is clerer now ?
GcodeSmoothie.png
GcodeDriver.png
I and S text.png
Gcode Home Command.png
AsPerVideoTrace.txt
Jurk Axis up to 10000 for x and y only.png

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 10:43:19 AMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Jan
herewith the picture and Trace file- after disconection of rotation steppers
So it can not be a problem of cables to steppers!!
The same issue (as above video)  - if I press on Jog rottation I loose controls on OpenPnp - how is this possible?

LogTrace with disconected rotation steppers.txt
Smothie cable not connected.png

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 4:35:46 PMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Latest from tonight tests :
Error M114 after Jog = rotation request

TraceTrace 22.30h PM.txt
Error M114 Get Position.png

Mike Menci

Apr 3, 2024, 4:40:16 PMApr 3
to OpenPnP
I mesured Ohm resistance of steppers with and without cables from Smoothie to steppers and all is fine. It might be that one of the stepper drivers (A4982SLPT) is not working as it should and rotational steppers do not reach requested move to location.... Will need further tests to be made..

Jan

Apr 3, 2024, 4:59:23 PMApr 3
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!
After watching your video again, I noticed, that in the log you
attached, there is no M400/M114 sequence anymore after some time. Up
until "16:34:44.150" the log indicates, that OpenPnP syncs itself with
your controller and "GcodeAsyncDriver TRACE: Smoothie confirmation
complete.". Next the UpCamLight is switched on and I do not see any M400
anymore. According to the logs you're still joging in X and Y and (at
"16:34:56.312") rotating nozzle N1. Afterwords you're again joging in X
and Smothie seems to acknowledge all commands. However, there are not
M400s anymore to make sure all movements have finished. Maybe thats ok.
I just don't know...
I'm sorry, I'm lost how that all goes together.

Jan
> [...]
> > > send an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/341ab206-0a78-41d3-a806-6372fc5d717a%40googlemail.com>>>.
> > >
> > > --
> from it,
> > send
> > > an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/0215de92-b04a-4aaf-b483-c421974054f5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> it, send
> > an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

tonyl...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2024, 6:17:18 PMApr 3
to OpenPnP
Mike,

You have motion-control-type="ModeratedConstantAcceleration" in your December machine.xml but have it set to motion-control-type="SimpleSCurve" in your newer machine.xml. I don't think SimpleSCurve works with Smoothie.

Tony

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 12:58:37 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Changed to "ConstanntAcceleration" the same problem - no rotation on my C1-C2 axes - Log enclosed
TraceLogConsAccel_.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 1:08:41 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Changed to Full3DOrder - the same problem - Log enclosed
TraceLog_Full3rdOrder.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 1:11:23 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Anyone having working PnP and Smoothie - what are your settings for rotation axis - see enclosed ( I lovered the valus to min for testing): What shoud be here;Axes Data.png

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 1:26:26 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
With 3D Order - Kinematic changed to: KInematicV.png

No rotations...

Trace_Full3DOrder.txt

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 3:13:41 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Replaced SmoothieBoard - stil no rotation ... see trace attached
IMG_4349.jpg
Trace _9_04 other smoothie.txt

Jan

Apr 4, 2024, 5:14:17 AMApr 4
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!
Your last log looks almost the same compared to the others. I can't see
any indication that OpenPnP is doing anything wrong or that your
controller is behaving in any kind unexpectedly.
I'm assuming that you copied the configuration from one controller to
the other, did you? Then you might have copied the root cause as well...
I'd suggest to go one step back, review your controller configuration
and verify it using a terminal. Maybe something shows up there that
allows you to draw further conclusions.

Jan

On 04.04.2024 09:13, Mike Menci wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> receiving emails from
> > it, send
> > > an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/62a3d5cc-1e6b-4379-9af5-c64e06ea60f7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> receiving emails from it, send
> > an email to openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:openpnp+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/c166e3f9-81f5-4b1f-a1f2-b4126c740333n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/71286c16-f4e2-432d-b60b-351c37c30d55n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/71286c16-f4e2-432d-b60b-351c37c30d55n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

mark maker

Apr 4, 2024, 5:30:57 AMApr 4
to ope...@googlegroups.com

According to the machine.xml you share two and two rotation axes, right? N1+N3 and N2+N4 rotate together.

That gives you X, Y, 2*C, 2*Z = 6 axes. Normal Smoothie has 5 axes, you can make it 6 axis with external drivers/GPIO, but the configuration is difficult.

I would start looking there. Perhaps post the config.txt.

_Mark

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 6:11:35 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Hello Jan and Mark,

Yes I am using the same SD card with firmware for the second Smoothie.
Mark I use your firmware for Shated rotation N1+N3  & N2 +Nzzles should level but 4 - Yes

The only difference I saw while homing  is Z and Z2 do not Home as expected - all 4 nozzles should level - but tjhis is not happening
Enclosed my Config. file

MyConfig-4-4-24.txt

SM

Apr 4, 2024, 9:33:54 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
does smoothieware accept comma or dot for decimals?

epsilon_steps_per_mm       17,77777

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 10:22:30 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP

Hello !
Thanks for reporting this typing config error - I will fix this and I think I am back in business with my PnP !!

Mike Menci

Apr 4, 2024, 10:30:51 AMApr 4
to OpenPnP
Rotation works now! Thanks!

daniel-...@coderdu.de

Apr 5, 2024, 3:43:52 PMApr 5
to 'SM' via OpenPnP
Vom: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 06:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

Are there even firmwares that need the comma notation?
This seems like a nasty source for bugs and might use input validation.

> does smoothieware accept comma or dot for decimals?
>
> *epsilon_steps_per_mm 17,77777 *
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openpnp/71286c16-f4e2-432d-b60b-351c37c30d55n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> >>

> --

Daniel Hiepler
EDV-Dienstleistungen
Feldmochinger Str. 4a
80992 München

SM

Apr 5, 2024, 11:58:55 PMApr 5
to OpenPnP
> Are there even firmwares that need the comma notation?
> This seems like a nasty source for bugs and might use input validation.

Actually, every computer user should already know how to enter decimal numbers, especially with regard to regional differences (see here).
But since most operating systems use regional settings, unwanted input errors often occur.

daniel-...@coderdu.de

Apr 6, 2024, 2:53:21 AMApr 6
to 'SM' via OpenPnP
Vom: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:58:55 -0700 (PDT)

> *> Are there even firmwares that need the comma notation? > This seems like
> a nasty source for bugs and might use input validation. *
>
> Actually, every computer user should already know how to enter decimal
> numbers, especially with regard to regional differences (see here
> <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dezimaltrennzeichen>).
> But since most operating systems use regional settings, unwanted input
> errors often occur.

But also every OS would throw an error with wrong decimal separators and not silently accept it.
I didn't look at the code but I'd guess java can do typed input widgets that'd throw an error whenever the decimal separator doesn't match the i18n settings of the OS.

best regards
Daniel

Jan

Apr 6, 2024, 3:16:29 AMApr 6
to ope...@googlegroups.com
To make it clear: this is a smoothie problem, not a OpenPnP one.
It is recommended practice to verify the controller using a terminal
before handing control over to OpenPnP and the OP did not reported if
smoothie generated any reports on that. It would be easy to detect, as
steps-per-millimeter shall not be <= 0.
If anyone has an idea how OpenPnP could reliably detect this type of
errors, I'd be happy to provide a PR.

Jan

daniel-...@coderdu.de

Apr 6, 2024, 3:34:56 AMApr 6
to 'Jan' via OpenPnP
Vom: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:16:22 +0200
I have little clue of java but since I brought this up, I try my best:

I guess OpenPNP is treating those as string internally, which is fine.
Additionally, a check with "Double.parseDouble()" could probably be used.
(When it doesn't throw NumberFormatException, the input was a valid decimal.)

It might not hurt to convert that back to a string with "." again so no "," slips through even if the OS is set to it, allows thousand "." separators or some other strange format that might be used somewhere. If I'm not wrong, it should work universally.
I doubt there is any firmware that uses "," as decimal separator (?) or let alone localisation settings altering the number input format.

best regards
Daniel

Jan

Apr 6, 2024, 3:49:40 AMApr 6
to ope...@googlegroups.com
On 06.04.2024 09:34, daniel-openpnp via OpenPnP wrote:
> Vom: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:16:22 +0200
>
>> On 06.04.2024 08:53, daniel-openpnp via OpenPnP wrote:
>>> Vom: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:58:55 -0700 (PDT)

>>> But also every OS would throw an error with wrong decimal separators and not silently accept it.
>>> I didn't look at the code but I'd guess java can do typed input widgets that'd throw an error whenever the decimal separator doesn't match the i18n settings of the OS.
>>>
>> To make it clear: this is a smoothie problem, not a OpenPnP one.
>> It is recommended practice to verify the controller using a terminal
>> before handing control over to OpenPnP and the OP did not reported if
>> smoothie generated any reports on that. It would be easy to detect, as
>> steps-per-millimeter shall not be <= 0.
>> If anyone has an idea how OpenPnP could reliably detect this type of
>> errors, I'd be happy to provide a PR.
>>

> I have little clue of java but since I brought this up, I try my best:
>
> I guess OpenPNP is treating those as string internally, which is fine.

We are talking about a problem in a configuration file of the controller
that is only insight the controller and not known to OpenPnP. It
configures the way the controller translates OpenPnPs commands into
commands send to the motor drivers. As long as there is no dedicated
feedback from the motor driver to OpenPnP (like position sensors),
OpenPnP has to assume, that its commands generate the expected results.
Like loosing steps on a stepper motor it's something OpenPnP can not
detect nor recover or report by itself.

Jan

daniel-...@coderdu.de

Apr 6, 2024, 3:54:08 AMApr 6
to 'Jan' via OpenPnP
Vom: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:49:32 +0200

> On 06.04.2024 09:34, daniel-openpnp via OpenPnP wrote:
> > Vom: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:16:22 +0200

> >> To make it clear: this is a smoothie problem, not a OpenPnP one.
> >> It is recommended practice to verify the controller using a terminal
> >> before handing control over to OpenPnP and the OP did not reported if
> >> smoothie generated any reports on that. It would be easy to detect, as
> >> steps-per-millimeter shall not be <= 0.
> >> If anyone has an idea how OpenPnP could reliably detect this type of
> >> errors, I'd be happy to provide a PR.
> >>

> > I have little clue of java but since I brought this up, I try my best:
> >
> > I guess OpenPNP is treating those as string internally, which is fine.
>
> We are talking about a problem in a configuration file of the controller

oh, I totally missed that. I thought it was machine.xml we're talking about.
Reading is hard. Nvm :)

Best regards
Daniel

Mike Menci

Apr 6, 2024, 8:52:16 AMApr 6
to OpenPnP
Hi all thanks for support,
 Jan and Mark = Im sorry I messed it up with configuration typing - I just copied text without looking at the "," in the value...
Anybody - wjhat are your values here in Kinematic Settings for Resolution + Feed rate + Acceleration and Jerk for Nema8 steppers ?
C1 Kinematic.png
thanks
Mike

SM

Apr 6, 2024, 3:17:23 PMApr 6
to OpenPnP
Although I use a different system, i have set these values for the Nema 8 hollow shaft motors (20H30):

VMAX: 3000 mm/s
AMAX: 30000 mm/s²
JMAX: 750000 mm/s³

Driver is a TMC2130-TA (24V, 300mA) controlled by a true s-shaped motion controller.