Violating soft limits during nozzle tip change

JW

Apr 20, 2024, 9:58:03 PMApr 20
to OpenPnP
I have an oddity in the first version of my machine, due for fix in a future version, whereby I can crash nozzle tips into the nozzle holders. It's unlikely due to placement, but possible nonetheless.

Is there a way that I can configure the soft limits to prevent XY motion into the nozzle tip changer (which is located right along the front of the bed), but then allow/force a violation of these soft limits during a nozzle tip change?

The 4-step nozzle tip sequence is safe and does not crash into the holder, but an XY move through the nozzle tip holder with Z==0, or Z<0, will crash the tip.

Ideally the keepout zones discussed here https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp/issues/308 would be great, but I understand the rationale for not implementing those.

mark maker

Apr 21, 2024, 4:17:09 AMApr 21
to ope...@googlegroups.com

> Is there a way that I can configure the soft limits to prevent XY motion into the nozzle tip changer ..., but then allow/force a violation of these soft limits during a nozzle tip change?

No.

The smart thing to do (in my case it took a brutal crash to learn) is to sink the nozzle tip changer into the table. Seen here (among other things):

https://youtu.be/9uFxV1-vnXw

_Mark

JW

Apr 21, 2024, 5:47:46 AMApr 21
to OpenPnP
Hi Mark,

OK, well thanks - good to know.

Sinking the changer is what I intend to do long term, I just can't do it right now due to an oddity with the machine structure. I'm converting an existing manual machine I built a few years ago, to get my head around OpenPnP, learn the 'gotchas' etc before building 'the big one'.

My changer is positioned front left, and I home at back left, so there shouldn't be any reason a move is ever commanded that'll crash the changer, I don't think...

Thanks for your info!

JW

May 12, 2024, 9:43:51 PMMay 12
to OpenPnP
Looks like this might now be possible with RepRapFirmware Release 3.5.1, using M599.

Not exactly sure yet how to 'cancel' the keepout zones, but fundamentally I'm thinking configure a keepout zone, then in the G code used to perform a tool change, disable the keepout zone, then re-enable it when done.