Mac OS Monterrey Camera Issues

Jack Handey

Feb 15, 2023, 2:16:18 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
I am attempting to run OpenPnP on Mac OS Monterrey, and when I add a camera all options are greyed out. I am running the version 2.0 release from https://openpnp.org/downloads/.

I did plenty of searching, and it seems like there are issues with using a hub, but the issue occurs with only a single camera plugged in.

This looks like a potential related issue:

It says that version 0.0.23 of Open-PnP-Capture should fix this issue, but I'm not sure how to use this version with the Open-PnP application. There is a release for MacOS that is a dylib file. Where does this file go so that Open-PnP will use it?

Ian Arkver

Feb 15, 2023, 3:09:19 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Best route would be to merge the PR mentioned in the link you gave and then update the version in openpnp's pom. I've pinged Jason since I don't know who has write permission to the openpnp-capture-java repo.

Regards,
Ian

Sergii Ovcharenko

Feb 15, 2023, 4:28:45 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Jack, can share with you patched file that you'll need to put into OpenPNP.app to address this issue if you're interested. I doubt that that PR will be merged anytime soon to be honest as while it fixes the issue on MacOS, the linux version is broken (for different reasons) in that version.

Ian Arkver

Feb 15, 2023, 5:17:44 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Interesting. Have you links to an issue/discussion re what's wrong with the Linux version?

Thanks,
Ian

Sergii Ovcharenko

Feb 15, 2023, 5:26:27 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
I don't remember details tbh. It looked to me as some fundamental issue with JNI and auto generated code - linux lib wasn't compiling or something along that lines. maybe it was my local issue maybe not (it was long time ago) I'll have a look later this week but I do recall giving up on that PR because of some unrelated issue I didn't have skills to fix.

Jonathan Oxer

Feb 15, 2023, 5:32:05 PM2/15/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergii,

I was just setting up a brand new ELP camera on one of my Kayos yesterday and hit this problem! If you can share the file I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll need to set up a Linux machine for that Kayo.

Cheers

Jon

Jason von Nieda

Feb 15, 2023, 5:45:11 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Hi folks,

I've got some time today. I'll see what I can merged and report back.

Jason

Sergii Ovcharenko

Feb 15, 2023, 5:49:51 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Hi Jon,

1. Download the file
2. Move it /Applications/OpenPnP/lib directory (click replace when asked)

This file has updated openpnp-capture binaries that I compiled on my machine. Also note that it works great for me on Monterey but I haven't tried running it on Ventura.

Sergii Ovcharenko

Feb 15, 2023, 5:53:07 PM2/15/23
to OpenPnP
Jason, Ian,

My statement was based on the failed Build OpenPnP Capture Java Distribution GH action when I created my PR. Unfortunately all logs are gone now and I don't recall details so won't be able to help

Jonathan Oxer

Feb 15, 2023, 10:48:00 PM2/15/23
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic, thanks Sergii,

I confirm that this solved the problem for me on an older iMac running Monterey.

Cheers :-)

Jon

Jason von Nieda

Feb 16, 2023, 1:53:34 AM2/16/23
to OpenPnP
Alright, a new release of openpnp-capture is up - v0.0.24: https://github.com/openpnp/openpnp-capture/releases/tag/v0.0.24

This has binaries for Linux (x86_64, arm64), macOS (x86_64, arm64), and Windows (x86_64)

I reworked the build process so this should be much easier to release in the future.

Next up is openpnp-capture-java, and then finally integrate it into OpenPnP. Unfortunately openpnp-capture-java uses an ancient library that doesn't know that Macs come in arm64 now, so that's tomorrow's work :)

Jason

Jack Handey

Feb 16, 2023, 3:37:34 PM2/16/23
to OpenPnP
That worked great! thank you so much!

Jason von Nieda

Mar 27, 2023, 10:59:21 PM3/27/23
to OpenPnP
This should be fixed now, in the test branch. Please try the latest: https://openpnp.org/test-downloads/

Please let me know via this thread or otherwise if you still experience issues.

Thanks!
Jason

P.S. Sorry for all the cross-posting I'm about to do - there's several threads about this issue.