OpenPnP randomly SIGSEGV core dumps and crashes

Bastian D.

May 16, 2023, 2:02:27 PM5/16/23
to OpenPnP
See the runtime log file attached, at the end of the day this seems to happen sporadically and is never repeatable by any action. Sometimes it will go a long time without crashing, other times it will happen almost immediately. It sometimes even happen without the machine powered on at all so there is no relation to the G-Code driver waiting or issues.

Please note the time of the last log showing setHomed happened 5 minutes before the fatal error at the end of the line.

I have tried JRE's 9, 10, 11, 13, and 15. They all yield the same result eventually core dumping.

I am running OpenPnP version 2023-03-15_00-30-21.460d8aa. This issue does not seem to happen on Windows, but running this in Windows is not an idea or acceptable solution as Java is Java.

From the core dump log it seems like some sort of timeout on a useless print statement which may be unrelated to the actual action and more due to the last action attempted prior to hard crashing:
Command Line: install4j.org.openpnp.Main

Host:
[timeout occurred during error reporting in step "printing summary machine and OS info"] after 30 s.
Time: Sun May 14 11:29:20 2023 EDT elapsed time: 363.913983 seconds (0d 0h 6m 3s)

hs_err_pid6397.log
openpnp.log

Bastian D.

May 19, 2023, 12:57:25 PM5/19/23
to OpenPnP
After some digging, I think the underlying problem is the intermittent connectivity of one of the USB cameras. This is most likely due to poor signal-to-noise, cable length, and conductor thickness going to the USB camera on the moving head.

After building OpenPnP with OpenJDK11 from source of the latest (commit 460d8aa4bbfa2a59af1afd2c6e03487d4ba63406) this seems to now simply log the events and not segfault OpenPnP

SOLVED