JavaPlot

Kirill Streltsov

May 24, 2012, 4:22:37 AM5/24/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
I will remove the output from the PoissonSolverTest but introduce a PoissonSolverCalculations class in the UI package. This class will need plot outputs. I can either reuse the few lines of code that I have already written or use a gnuplot wrapper, in particular JavaPlot.
http://www.gnuplot.info/links.html
http://gnujavaplot.sourceforge.net/JavaPlot/About.html

My code writes a file to the harddisk and then executes gnuplot with some parameters. I think that I can pass any command to gnuplot in this way, so there are no limitations there. But its hard to read and does not look nice. Also gnuplot must be in the execution path....and the output path must be entered somehow.
JavaPlot enables one to use java commands. I think that a file output is also not needed for plot creation. Maybe it is also possible to save the output (image) inside openpixi and then display it in the gui.

But usind JavaPlot would introduce an other dependency that is not in the maven repository. It also relies on svgSalamander.jar...Furthermore it has not been updates since 2010.

What do you think, should I use JavaPlot or nor?

Andreas Ipp

May 24, 2012, 4:33:24 AM5/24/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Since there is no active development on JavaPlot and it is also not yet in the Maven repository, I would say, just go with your quick solution for now.

Plotting is such a common demand that I am sure there is some pure Java-only library for plots that is under active development.

If there really is no Java-only library for your particular demands, I can't imagine that it would be very difficult to program that oneself.

But since you have time constraints, just continue with the solution you already have, and call GNU Plot from your class.