Ask about changing the core of Openpiton

Cong Tran Van

Apr 15, 2024, 12:12:27 PMApr 15
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hello everyone,

I am wanting to change the core of Openpiton. Have you ever tried replacing its core?
If you have tried it, can you give me an estimate of how long it will take to replace the core?

Thanks,
Cong

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 15, 2024, 12:17:02 PMApr 15
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Cong,

Indeed, this is one of the main attractions. Overall there have been probably around 20 cores connected to OpenPiton. You can see the use of TILE_TYPE in tile.v.pyv which chooses between core instantiations. The main files I can immediately think of which need changed would be:

- define.h.pyv (adding your new tile type)
- chip.v.pyv (instantiating your new tile type)
- pyhplib.py (adding the python flag parsing the environment variable)
- tile.v.pyv (adding the actual instantiation of your core)
- sims,2.0 (adding a flag to instantiate your core instead of others)
- manycore.config (adding the flists and other config options needed by your core)
- pc_cmp.v.pyv (adding PC tracking so the tests will terminate successfully)

Are you perhaps connecting an open-source core? Might you let us know which one, if so? We've already connected quite a few as I noted.

Thanks,
Jon

Cong Tran Van

Apr 21, 2024, 8:21:54 PMApr 21
to OpenPiton Discussion
It is SPARC core.
I want to estimate the time to replace core

Thanks,
Cong

Vào lúc 23:17:02 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Hai, 15 tháng 4, 2024, jbal...@ucsb.edu đã viết:

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 21, 2024, 8:29:57 PMApr 21
to OpenPiton Discussion
That depends a lot on the design of the core you plan to integrate and the level of functionality you want. If it's a simple core, it might not take more than a few weeks. If you want multicore, it'll take longer. If you want to boot Linux SMP, that will also take longer.

Could you share some details about the core's specifications? We already support the OpenSPARC T1 so hopefully another SPARC core shouldn't be a huge deal.

Thanks,
Jon