dimension of a single core

montyadex

Jul 1, 2021, 10:23:58 AM7/1/21
to OpenPiton Discussion

Hello ,

            I'm following this project just because i think it may be a possible solution for modular computing, honestly I'm not skilled enough to understand what's happening here (in openpiton) and how it can be used from a domestic user like me.

It's only 10 years I'm looking for an "open source cpu" that may be marketable and this is the only project that in my ignorance may lead to such kind of solution.

I'm just fantasizing on a concept of modular solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F2GEvlU4yQ&list=PL6B85E33BDAE63062), and I'm trying to understand the size / volume i need for a single general purpose core with 6way 2direction "routing communication logic" between the cores.

Based on the specifics of the epiphany core (16cores)(registered by adapteva) i'm guessing that a volume of 2x2x1mm would be enough.

Forgive me for the non sense question... Btw i'm just curious about your answers and all your considerations about possible clustering solution that allow end user to assemble digital devices by nesting elementary computational bricks / components.

It's more a dream than a concrete possibility but in my dreams this may lead to some interesting solution for long lifetime device and good scalability solution for home users...

Thanks in advance

Jonathan Balkind

Jul 14, 2021, 7:32:19 PM7/14/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi there,

Glad to hear your excitement for OpenPiton! I'm not quite sure I follow what sort of dimensions you're looking for. Do you want a single tile chip? Or do you want the area of a single tile on a larger chip? For the latter, you could get a reference from the Piton article in IEEE Micro 2017 which notes an area per tile of 1.17mm^2 in 32nm technology: http://parallel.princeton.edu/papers/piton-micro-mag-17.pdf

Thanks,
Jon