UART Bram

SALMEN BELGACEM

May 8, 2024, 12:33:25 PMMay 8
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hello everyone,
i am now trying to output the hello_world.c through the uart after running protosyn with --bram-test i uploaded the bitstream but it just shows some random characters :putty \ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd-\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd0D\ufffdk\ufffd\uf861\ufffd~\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffdk\ufffd(\u0761\ufffd!\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd \ufffd\ufffd\u0195\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffdP\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd@\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffdb\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd*\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffdX\ufffdM\u1a69\ufffd\u8861\ufffd\ufffd                                                                                            @\ufffd
,the only thing i changed with the clk_in of the mmcm changed it to 100 MHz i just need the uart to work i dont need any other functionality now .
I tried every solution suggested in other issues but nothing seems to wrok so far.
any help would be apperciated and Thanks.

Jonathan Balkind

May 8, 2024, 1:51:53 PMMay 8
to OpenPiton Discussion
It would be helpful to know which specific solutions you tried because there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. One specific issue that has come up several times is people simply opening the wrong UART to use for pitonstream. As I've mentioned before, it may be easiest to just check out an older version of the pitonstream-related files that uses python2.

Thanks,
Jon

SALMEN BELGACEM

May 10, 2024, 11:11:06 AMMay 10
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hello,
Thank you ofr your reply ,
But i am not using pitonstream i am just uploading a simple hello_world.c to the bram and tried to visualize it using putty but what provided in the last comment is the output i tried everything and also checked the UART port still no succes ,
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks ,

SALMEN BELGACEM

May 10, 2024, 11:11:38 AMMay 10
to OpenPiton Discussion
I will try that Thank you ,
Another question i wanted to know which exact commands are responsible for the compiling of my test ? as i wanna compile my test standalone without the protosyn command as i wanna inspect the flow(from the c to the the final image what are the exact steps he goes through) tried running the sims command alone and read the log but still i dont know if i missed what i am looking for or it just don't exist .
Thank you for you help .
best regards.

Jonathan Balkind

May 10, 2024, 11:53:11 AMMay 10
to OpenPiton Discussion
You still haven't indicated which specific solutions you tried. I want to help you narrow down the debugging but that is hard to do if you just say that you tried everything.

Regarding which commands are run, you can see the compileASMTest() function in pitonstream,1.0 (https://github.com/PrincetonUniversity/openpiton/blob/openpiton-dev/piton/tools/src/proto/pitonstream%2C1.0#L284) which is going to call out to several other programs sequentially. Note that some of the code will be in other files like fpga_lib.py, image2stream.py, etc. Also note that when using Ariane, the mapping is not needed because the test is all simply mapped linearly from 0x80000000

Thanks,
Jon