ariane-sdk vs cva6-sdk

Yasas Senevirathne

Apr 29, 2024, 3:12:37 PMApr 29
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi,

I'm trying to boot Linux on an OpenPiton multicore on FPGA. I realized there is a newer SDK repository by openhwgroup (cva6-sdk). Can cva6-sdk be used instead of ariane-sdk?

Thank you,
Yasas

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 29, 2024, 6:28:34 PMApr 29
to OpenPiton Discussion
cva6-sdk wouldn't have the Piton SD driver.

You may want to try this branch from my fork of ariane-sdk which simplifies the infrastructure a little: https://github.com/Jbalkind/ariane-sdk/tree/openpiton-opensbi

We do also have a newer 6.2 kernel which works: https://github.com/cohort-project/linux/tree/cva6platform6.2

Thanks,
Jon

Yasas Senevirathne

Apr 30, 2024, 3:37:45 PMApr 30
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Jon,

Thank you! I was able to boot Linux working on a VC707 development board using the branch you provided.

When I try to setup ethernet I get the following message:
ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

Would you happen to know why this is?

Thank you,
Yasas

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 30, 2024, 3:40:32 PMApr 30
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Yasas,

We haven't implemented ethernet support for VC707 as yet. My recollection is that the PHY chip used a different MDIO interface. On nexys video and genesys2, we had RGMII but on VC707 it was something different. The Xilinx Emaclite MAC used MII or something that we could transduce to RGMII and it would work, but for VC707 it required more work. It's been about 7 years since I dealt with this so I don't quite remember the details.

Thanks,
Jon

Yasas Senevirathne

May 2, 2024, 2:04:26 PMMay 2