Re: Why 3 NoCs to avoid deadlock?

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 30, 2021, 1:38:52 AM4/30/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Marcelo,

As you say, it is protocol-level deadlock that necessitates the three NoCs (with strict priority). The caches themselves also have to be designed accordingly to avoid protocol-level deadlock.

Thanks,
Jon

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 09:37, Marcelo Ruaro <mcelo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

First, congratulation for this impressive many-core framework. I was reading the papers and documentations and a simple question arrived.

My question comes from sentences like this from docs and papers:
  • "While the cache coherence protocol is designed to be logically deadlock free, it also depends on the physical layer and routing to also be deadlock free."
  • "Packets are routed using dimension-ordered wormhole routing to ensure a deadlock-free network"
  • "Coherent messages between L1.5 caches and L2 caches communicate through three NoCs, carefully designed to ensure deadlock-free operation

My question: If the cache is deadlock free and one NoC is deadlock free too, what justifies the adoption of three NoC instead one to avoid deadlock? I am imagining that without the three NoCs  the cache coherence protocol will enter in deadlock, this is right?

Thank you in advance,
Best,
Marcelo