Can I run two bare-metal threads in different tiles?

Marcelo Ruaro

Apr 29, 2021, 11:59:17 AM4/29/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hello,

I would like to run two bare-metal threads in different tiles.

Let's assume that I have thread_1.c and thread_2.c, and I would like to run them tile 1 and tile 2, respectively. This is possible without an OS, just bare-metal?

Best,
Marcelo

Jonathan Balkind

Apr 30, 2021, 1:40:42 AM4/30/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Marcelo,

We don't directly provide a mechanism for this but you could engineer something without too much trouble if you didn't require it strictly to be two separate files. Cores can read their hartids in a shared main function and then jump to the relevant code that they should specifically be running based on the hartid.

Thanks,
Jon

Marcelo Ruaro

Apr 30, 2021, 11:59:01 AM4/30/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Thank you for you reply Jon,

Yes, I see (and I'm actually following it) that this the way to implement the desired behavior in baremetal. And also, using the atomic operations and locks provided by https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/ef78e5ec9214376c5cb989f5da70b02d0c117b66/arch/riscv/include/asm to synchronize among tasks.

Congratulation for this impressive many-core framework. I can say that because I am one of the main developer of Memphis many-core framework (with distributed memories) https://www.inf.pucrs.br/hemps/memphis.html, and know how difficult is to reach a fully automated generation framework like you guys have reached.

Best,
Marcelo

Jonathan Balkind

May 3, 2021, 9:10:08 PM5/3/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Marcelo,

I remember seeing one of your Memphis papers, very impressive work! I'm really glad to hear that you're checking out OpenPiton and happy to give pointers where I can :)

Thanks,
Jon