Use gdb server in simulation?

Kamyar Mohajerani

Jun 14, 2021, 8:17:53 PM6/14/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi everyone!
Is it possible to attach gdb to a simulated OpenPiton model?
I'm using Ariane cores and Verilator.
Any feedback/pointers is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Kamyar

Jonathan Balkind

Jun 15, 2021, 1:27:21 PM6/15/21
to OpenPiton Discussion
Hi Kamyar,

I'm sure it's possible to modify the simulation environment for this but it's not currently part of the system. The JTAG wires are there and I think Michael's intent was that this could be connected to spike or openocd somehow. I haven't dealt with it before though because the simulation environment already gives far more introspection capability via waveforms, instruction trace logs, and monitor prints than gdb does alone. I think Ariane's standalone simulation environment uses the debug spec for loading and that process slows down simulation a lot because of the need to simulate the cycles of loading the program before executing. It's a tradeoff really. How keen are you to have this?

Thanks,
Jon