can't upload, although dropbox has plenty of space left

Hugo Roy

May 16, 2012, 5:32:18 AM5/16/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I can't upload pictures to http://hugo.openphoto.me/ any more, although
I have connected it to a dropbox account.

I only use dropbox for openphoto (as soon as openphoto supports
RemoteStorage or ownCloud or similar, I switch to that) so there's no
question about space left there.

It's been like that for about a month for as far as I can remember. At
first I just thought that I couldn't remember where was the upload
button. It's just not there.

Maybe if you give me an upload URL I can try, see if it works.

Thanks,
Hugo
--
Hugo Roy
www.hugoroy.eu

Jaisen Mathai

May 17, 2012, 1:30:20 AM5/17/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hugo,

You're not seeing the upload button once you log in? Are you logged in using your gmail address? (that's what you signed up with).

Once logged in you should see an upload button on your OpenPhoto site.

Also, we're merging a pull request that adds OwnCloud support and would love to have people test it once it's available.

Jaisen

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 1, 2012, 4:01:01 PM6/1/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hugo, here's the original response...can you confirm?

hugo...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2012, 6:35:55 PM6/1/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
OK. I was using Browser ID with another email address. Using the direct email / password form worked. But this is really weird, how could I know?

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 1, 2012, 6:38:43 PM6/1/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
It's why we're enabling the email/password option. Lots of people signed in using a different email address than they signed up with.

Hugo Roy

Jun 3, 2012, 7:48:11 PM6/3/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Well, shouldn't BrowserID or OpenPhoto be able to do something and tell the user when that is the case? Because from my User experience, there was no feedback that something went wrong with my logging-in. I was logged-in according to OpenPhoto, so it made no sense to me that I couldn't upload.

How does browserID work with this?

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 4, 2012, 1:49:15 AM6/4/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
BrowserID authenticates anyone who can claim ownership of an email address. OpenPhoto authenticates anyone BrowserID (or Facebook) authenticates. This means users can log into OpenPhoto even if they don't "have an account". OpenPhoto, prior to rolling its own username/password, didn't have the notion of an account but "authenticated users".

Anyways, it's all confusing which is why we rolled out username/passwords for account owners.

I think the BrowserID model has a ton of promise but it's confusing to users today. Partly because of the "centralized" nature of it and it's lack of brand awareness. The only reason Facebook doesn't have the same problem is people know what Facebook is. Hopefully as BrowserID (aka Persona) increases in popularity it will be less and less confusing to users exactly what purpose it serves :).

Hugo Roy

Jun 4, 2012, 10:58:29 AM6/4/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Le dimanche 03 juin 2012 à 22:49 -0700, Jaisen Mathai a écrit :

> BrowserID authenticates anyone who can claim ownership of an email
> address. OpenPhoto authenticates anyone BrowserID (or Facebook)
> authenticates. This means users can log into OpenPhoto even if they
> don't "have an account". OpenPhoto, prior to rolling its own
> username/password, didn't have the notion of an account but
> "authenticated users".

Hi Jaisen, thank you for your explanation. This looks like what I
suspected. However I wonder if it should be the role of BrowserID to
define whether an user has an account or not (IMHO it's not). So for
instance, when I log in with BrowserID using an email address that isn't
tied to any specific account already, why doesn't OpenPhoto redirect
this user to a sign up page? (It's a genuine question, I understand that
BrowserID is still prototype, and OpenPhoto as well is relatively young
so I just wanted to know if it's a specific decision in design, if
there's a technical reason for it, if you're in touch w/
mozilla-identity to fix this for better UX, etc.. Sorry, I'm new to this
project and I'm just curious)

This way it would have been clear to me that I wasn't signing in using
the right email address (I really wonder why I used that gmail address
instead of BrowserID at the time).

In any way the current way of offering 2 ways to subscribe or logging in
is only adding confusion rather than solving it (that is just my
impression as user).

I hope my feedback is useful to you. Keep up the good work :)

--
Hugo Roy
French Coordinator, FSFE chat: hu...@jabber.fsfe.org

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 4, 2012, 12:55:52 PM6/4/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense. But you might be signing in to leave a comment on someone else's photo. That's basically it. Though we could provide some more contextual information that you're not the owner and give a link to sign up if you want an account.

But when signing in on someone's site I don't think most people are looking to create an account..

Hubert Figuière

Jun 4, 2012, 1:04:37 PM6/4/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 04/06/12 09:55 AM, Jaisen Mathai wrote:
> Makes sense. But you might be signing in to leave a comment on someone
> else's photo. That's basically it. Though we could provide some more
> contextual information that you're not the owner and give a link to sign up
> if you want an account.
>
> But when signing in on someone's site I don't think most people are looking
> to create an account..

There could be an explicit mention if you are the admin that logs in
that this is the admin account you logged in with.

Same for other registered users if they exist, and leave "guest" alone.

Hub

Hugo Roy

Jun 4, 2012, 6:17:34 PM6/4/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 09:55 -0700, Jaisen Mathai a écrit :

> But when signing in on someone's site I don't think most people are
> looking to create an account..

Right. I forgot this aspect. Especially if people just want to leave a
comment.

Maybe there's a way in-between that would accommodate with each case.
What about leaving a sign up link that explicitly invites the user to
create their own OpenPhoto instance? (that way it's clear for the
"owner" of the instance that he/she's not actually loggedin).

ricoch...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2014, 6:05:07 PM4/20/14
to open...@googlegroups.com, hu...@hugoroy.eu
i have someone saying the same thing that drop box is full, when there is plenty of room. he's trying to post to antoher folder i don't get it.