Install Issues and Bad Documentation

Jeffrey Kinley

Mar 1, 2014, 7:55:10 PM3/1/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
This may be the greatest software ever, and free. But getting this installed is the worst experience ever. I have done hundreds and hundreds of WordPress installs. I have also installed many numerous PHP installs. Am I a PHP guru?—not even close. Do I want to use trovebox.com? NO. Kinda defeats the purpose.

It's a shame that a project with such promise has so little to help do a basic install. I'd be happy to contribute and could very well do so. But at this stage, I can't even get the software installed. What's with the confusing paths to the src/html? I don't encounter this with WordPress installs. Why make it so hard?

Thanks for great software that I hope that I can eventually use,

Jeff

Hubert Figuière

Mar 1, 2014, 9:34:07 PM3/1/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 01/03/14 07:55 PM, Jeffrey Kinley wrote:
> This may be the greatest software ever, and free. But getting this
> installed is the worst experience ever. I have done hundreds and hundreds
> of WordPress installs. I have also installed many numerous PHP installs. Am
> I a PHP guru?—not even close. Do I want to use trovebox.com? NO. Kinda
> defeats the purpose.

Sadly the focus has been Trovebox and not an easily installable package :-(
There is not even an official release anymore.

Hub

Jeffrey Kinley

Mar 2, 2014, 1:41:58 PM3/2/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I don't even mind that the installer is not "easy", but at least there should be docs that explain it better. I'll be happy to help with the docs once I figure out how in the heck this works.

Jaisen Mathai

Mar 2, 2014, 1:44:53 PM3/2/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, I'll reply in more with more details but I'm out of town and pretty tied up this week. I suggest using one of the releases found here, https://github.com/photo/frontend/releases

Looks like James tagged a release for 4.0.2. I haven't personally tested it but he's been working on our upcoming release so perhaps try that.

James Walker

Mar 2, 2014, 6:14:23 PM3/2/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Indeed he did! ;-)

I would strongly encourage trying the 4.0.2 release as a starting point... and let's try to address the original issue:

Where did you get stuck on the install?

simz...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 4:33:19 AM4/14/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just installed Trovebox on a fresh DigitalOcean droplet and while the documentation is not that great, all the issues (at least for me) can be diagnosed based on Apache log

On Ubuntu, you need to enable some module for PHP (mcrypt and something else that I forgot). Just look at the Apache log and see what is missing, then just apt-get to install the thing and edit the php.ini to enable the module if needed

Regards,

Thong

Jaisen Mathai

Apr 14, 2014, 4:02:53 PM4/14/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Simenz, Could you provide a PR? Looking at the Ubuntu installation guide I see it lists php5-mcrypt. Is there another mcrypt library that's required? https://github.com/photo/documentation/blob/master/docs/guides/InstallationUbuntuApache.markdown -- Jaisen