Branch and version confusion

Robert Kleinschmager

Jun 4, 2014, 7:14:55 AM6/4/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I came back to trovebox, after experimenting with openphoto a year ago.
Now I saw the great feature of 'Invite Uploaders' at trovebox.com

Looking to github shocked me ... too many branches and no clear policy.

the usage of branch development instead of master is reasonable.
but the four RC branches (4.0.2-rc1, 4.0.2-rc2, 4.0.2-rc3, 4.0.2-rc4) .... all seem to be active developed, but not merged

which version is running at trovebox.com?
the 'Invite Uploaders' feature is just known to 4.0.2-rc3, obvious, as this branch is >300 commits ahead of master
And finaly: when will 4.0.2 (or 4.1 as stated somewhere) will be released, what is missing - can I help?

Could you please explain?

but: many thanks for this great piece of software.

cheers
Robert

Jay Sitter

Jun 4, 2014, 3:11:11 PM6/4/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I've been assuming only the GitHub Releases are recommended for use, so I'm on 4.0.0-rc2 right now. But there might be no rhyme or reason behind Releases.

Hubert Figuière

Jun 4, 2014, 3:33:22 PM6/4/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 04/06/14 03:11 PM, Jay Sitter wrote:
> I've been assuming only the GitHub Releases are recommended for use, so I'm
> on 4.0.0-rc2 right now. But there might be no rhyme or reason behind
> Releases.

I have been arguing it there:

https://github.com/photo/frontend/issues/1482

I run 4.0.2-rc2. -rc3 is broken and -rc4 still had issues last time I
looked, albeit less than -rc3.

Hub

Robert Kleinschmager

Jun 16, 2014, 7:06:02 AM6/16/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hubert,

thanks for the hints.
I also can see the issues, which you described in your posts/issue 1482.
In my eyes, the problem is, that while trying to run GitFlow (which I'm also more familiar) there was also the try, to deploy directly out of the working directory.
keeping upgrade/redo scripts on the base of version doesn't match the "deploy via git clone" pattern.

no reactions from @jmathai since a while.
even you fixes wasn't pulled - any idea what the next steps?
diving into the code and all commits between rc2 and rc4 would take a week or so - but in my opinion the only way to cleanup this mess

and still the question: which version is trovebox.com running -

cheers
Robert

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 18, 2014, 10:19:16 AM6/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

My immediate goal is to get the next 4.x release out. I haven't had time over the past few weeks to devote to getting this done. I anticipate I'll have time to do some more testing this week and next - hopefully resulting in a release.

After that I'd like to figure out a development/release strategy which has the least amount of friction. This conversation should continue on the Github issue Hub referenced.

Lastly, trovebox.com is running the 4.x release plus additional enhancements. Things like groups, collaborators, etc. I can't say for certain what will happen with those but ideally they make it into a 5.x release. For now, it's not available on Github.

Hope that helps.

Jaisen

Jaisen Mathai

Jun 18, 2014, 10:20:49 AM6/18/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Jay, After the 4.x release I want to make it much more clear WTH is stable and considered a release. It's not easy to decipher atm. -- Jaisen