Upgrade problems

Hubert Figuière

May 8, 2014, 10:45:30 PM5/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I upgraded from some random 3.0 to 4.0.2-rc2

First, I find it so much slower. (it is hosted on dreamhost, as it was
before)

Second, none of my album are visible if I am not logged in and I haven't
found a way to change that.
And if I look at the album content logged in it says "O photos". While
two are shown.

Third, I mistakenly deleted some of the generated images. Now I have
blank images which breaks everything. Is there a way to force
regenerating them if they are physically missing?

Thanks,

Hub

Hubert Figuière

May 9, 2014, 12:51:53 AM5/9/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 08/05/14 10:45 PM, Hubert Figuière wrote:
> I upgraded from some random 3.0 to 4.0.2-rc2
>
> First, I find it so much slower. (it is hosted on dreamhost, as it was
> before)
>
> Second, none of my album are visible if I am not logged in and I haven't
> found a way to change that.
> And if I look at the album content logged in it says "O photos". While
> two are shown.

Re-adding the pictures to the albums worked. Not sure exactly what happened.

> Third, I mistakenly deleted some of the generated images. Now I have
> blank images which breaks everything. Is there a way to force
> regenerating them if they are physically missing?

I deleted all the "custom" on the filesystem and from there delete in
the database all the rows in the table.
Ideally we should have an admin function to check and regenerate...
short of actually checking when serving the images (this might be a
serious performance penalty see 1.).

Cheers,

Hub

Hubert Figuière

May 9, 2014, 11:32:32 AM5/9/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 09/05/14 12:51 AM, Hubert Figuière wrote:
> On 08/05/14 10:45 PM, Hubert Figuière wrote:
>> I upgraded from some random 3.0 to 4.0.2-rc2
>>
>> First, I find it so much slower. (it is hosted on dreamhost, as it was
>> before)

I added
mode = "prod"
in the [site] section of the .ini file.

It feels faster. But I think more can be done. Also it is not very
userfriendly.

Hub

Jaisen Mathai

May 13, 2014, 3:32:12 PM5/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
If you can include details of what could speed up performance (via the browser console) that'd help -- open an issue on Github.

Same with what's not user friendly. Post that on this list for discussion.

Hub

Hubert Figuière

May 13, 2014, 3:42:06 PM5/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 13/05/14 03:32 PM, Jaisen Mathai wrote:
> Same with what's not user friendly. Post that on this list for discussion.

Adding manually the 'mode = "prod"' in the .ini isn't user friendly.
What's unclear with that statement?

Solution: allow setting that in the admin settings.
Solution 2: also have the setting in the .ini by default with the right
value, so we know it exist.

Hub

Jaisen Mathai

May 13, 2014, 3:46:44 PM5/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I thought you meant something about the 4.x release in general.

mode="prod" should probably be the default value. It's not necessarily meant to be user friendly...and only useful for developers.

Having it set to "dev" by default doesn't make any sense.

Hub

Hubert Figuière

May 13, 2014, 3:51:29 PM5/13/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On 13/05/14 03:46 PM, Jaisen Mathai wrote:
> I thought you meant something about the 4.x release in general.

I explicitely quoted the relevant part of what I was replying to ;-) It
only related to that.

Hub

Jaisen Mathai

May 13, 2014, 3:53:06 PM5/13/14