Amy Hofer

Mar 17, 2023, 8:05:38 PM3/17/23
to Open Oregon

Hi all, please pay a visit to the openoregon.org site for a whole bunch of recent blog posts or to catch up on recordings of webinars you missed. Good stuff! :) Amy

Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

Other ways to get involved

Calls for proposals in the open education field

OER-related job opportunities

  • At least this one isn’t too far away: Pacific Lutheran University is hiring a Dean of the Library whose work includes OER. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.

  • Not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Moreno Valley College is hiring an Open Education Librarian. Apply by March 17.

  • Again, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Clemson Libraries is hiring a Head of Open Scholarship. Apply by March 20.

  • Creative Commons is hiring a remote Learning and Training Manager. Apply by March 21.

  • Lane Community College is hiring a Faculty Instructional Designer whose work includes OER support. The position closes at 9pm on March 26.

  • As I said, I don't want anyone to leave Oregon, but York University is hiring a Digital Engagement Librarian whose work includes OER support. Deadline for applications is March 31.

  • Once again, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Spokane Community College is hiring a Faculty Librarian that includes OER in the description. The position closes on April 4.

--
Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director

Amy Hofer

Mar 17, 2023, 8:06:32 PM3/17/23
to Open Oregon
Once more, with a subject line! Amy

Amy Hofer

Mar 24, 2023, 3:12:07 PM3/24/23
to Open Oregon

Hi all, Meggie Wright at Lane Community College shared two news articles about an eye-catching display of instant ramen that illustrates what textbook savings can mean for students: Use of OER materials means savings for students and flexibility for faculty at Lane and Library ramen display showcases the cost of textbooks. Enjoy! Amy

Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

Other ways to get involved

Calls for proposals in the open education field

  • Nominations are open for the OEGlobal Board of Directors. If you’re interested, let me know before the April 14 deadline and I’ll nominate you!

  • The Oregon Information Literacy Summit, taking place virtually during the last two weeks of May, is accepting proposals by April 14. Open pedagogy is one of the suggested presentation topics.

    OER-related job opportunities

    • Lane Community College is hiring a Faculty Instructional Designer whose work includes OER support. The position closes at 9pm on March 26.

    • Not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Bowling Green State University is hiring an Open Educational Resources Strategist. The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, applications should be provided by March 29, 2023.

    • Again, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but York University is hiring a Digital Engagement Librarian whose work includes OER support. Deadline for applications is March 31.

    • Once again, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press is hiring a three-year resident OER Publishing Librarian position. This position is open until filled, but for best consideration, applications should be received by Sunday, April 2nd.

    • Reed College is hiring a Director of Collection Services whose work includes OER support. Review of applications will begin on Monday, April 3, 2023  and continue until the position has a final candidate pool.

    • As I said, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Spokane Community College is hiring a Faculty Librarian that includes OER in the description. The position closes on April 4.

    Amy Hofer

    Mar 31, 2023, 12:44:07 PM3/31/23
    to Open Oregon

    Hi all, former Lane Community College instructor Steve Owen published an op-ed in Community College Daily about his experience with the Equity & Open Ed faculty cohort! Read all about it: Using OER for equity and more :) Amy

    Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

    Other ways to get involved

    • All Things Open Week, hosted by Kennesaw State University Libraries, takes place virtually April 3-7.

    • The Library Publishing Forum, hosted by the Library Publishing Coalition, takes place virtually May 8–11, 9-2 Pacific.

    Calls for proposals in the open education field

      OER-related job opportunities

      • Once again, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press is hiring a three-year resident OER Publishing Librarian position. This position is open until filled, but for best consideration, applications should be received by Sunday, April 2nd.

      • Reed College is hiring a Director of Collection Services whose work includes OER support. Review of applications will begin on Monday, April 3, 2023  and continue until the position has a final candidate pool.

      • As I said, not that I want anyone to leave Oregon, but Spokane Community College is hiring a Faculty Librarian that includes OER in the description. The position closes on April 4.

      Amy Hofer

      Apr 7, 2023, 10:33:54 AM4/7/23
      to Open Oregon

      Hi all, we’ve opened a call for expressions of interest for large-scale projects to take place in the 2023-25 biennium (this is separate from our regular call for OER grant proposals, which is coming soon). Pitch us your idea for developing high-quality open educational resources including textbooks and ancillary materials with an equity lens! Forms are due May 5. Amy

      Legislative update:

      Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

      • Large-scale OER Projects Q&A The call for expressions of interest for large-scale OER projects is due May 5, 2023. Bring any and all questions to this drop-in session, and get some answers! April 24, 1-2.

      • Large-scale OER Projects: Expression of Interest Pitch us a large-scale project developing high-quality open educational resources including textbooks and ancillary materials with an equity lens! Expressions of interest due May 5.

      Other ways to get involved

      Calls for proposals in the open education field

      • Nominations are open for the OEGlobal Board of Directors. If you’re interested, let me know before the April 14 deadline and I’ll nominate you!

      • The Oregon Information Literacy Summit, taking place virtually during the last two weeks of May, is accepting proposals by April 14. Open pedagogy is one of the suggested presentation topics.

      OER-related job opportunities

      Amy Hofer

      Apr 14, 2023, 7:31:26 PM4/14/23
      to Open Oregon

      Hi all, the Virtual OER Symposium is right around the corner on April 28. Join Oregon’s open education community to learn about innovative projects taking place across our state, and connect and collaborate with other interested faculty! Register today :) Amy

      Want to work with us?

      Legislative update:

      Kudos to our project partners presenting at conferences!

      • Kim Puttman, Adult Basic Skills and Sociology Faculty, Oregon Coast Community College, presented yesterday at HEROE-S Forum, hosted by the Department of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Louisiana State University. Kim’s presentation was titled Transforming Learning and Teaching: How a collaborative open-source textbook project is making us better students and teachers.

      • A contingent of Oregonians working on the Open Oregon Educational Resources Targeted Pathways project presented at the Pacific Sociological Association conference:

        • Talking about Justice: The Role of Interfaith and Interspiritual Dialog in Anti-racist and Anti-patriarchal Social Justice. Kim Puttman, Oregon Coast Community College; Arfa Aflatooni, Linn Benton Community College

        • "I Can't Wait" Embracing the Liquid Syllabus for Humanizing Courses. Shanell Sanchez, Southern Oregon University

        • Open Educational Resources (OER) as Tools in Building Equity in Sociology panel. Matthew Gougherty and Jennifer Puentes, Eastern Oregon University; Ben Cushing and Heidi Esbensen, Portland Community College; Kim Puttman, Elian Emmett, and Marisol Martinez-Garcia Oregon Coast Community College.

        • Gentle Action Theory as a Method of Deliberative Democracy In Addressing the Lack of Voice for Indigenous Students in Institutions of Higher Education. Carma Corcoran, Portland State University

        • The Effects of Wildfire on the Health and Social Support Networks of Rural Older Adults. Kelly Szott, Southern Oregon University; Kristin Hocevar, Southern Oregon University; Brooke Carlton, Southern Oregon University

      Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

      Other ways to get involved

      • The Oregon Open Learning team (Oregon’s K-12 OER initiative)  invites you to attend its OER Office Hours. May 5, 1-2 Pacific.

      • The Library Publishing Forum, hosted by the Library Publishing Coalition, takes place virtually May 8–11, 9-2 Pacific.

      Calls for proposals in the open education field

        OER-related job opportunities

        Amy Hofer

        Apr 21, 2023, 6:04:39 PM4/21/23
        to Open Oregon

        Hi all, the Virtual OER Symposium is next week! Register today and check out the newly added information about our keynote, "Design Justice and Design Pedagogies" with Dr. Costanza-Chock. We’ve opened up our virtual conference site and identified this year’s OER Champions. See you next Friday! - Amy

        Want to work with us?

        Legislative update:

        Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

        • Panel on OER Maintenance It takes a lot of momentum to get your OER publishing program up and running… but what happens next? This panel will explore the challenges of OER maintenance from a variety of perspectives. May 12, 12-1.

        Other ways to get involved

        Calls for proposals in the open education field

        OER-related job opportunities

        Amy Hofer

        Apr 28, 2023, 11:08:43 AM4/28/23
        to Open Oregon

        Hi all, our Virtual OER Symposium is happening TODAY! I hope you can join us for some or all of the day. See you on Zoom! Amy

        Want to work with us?

        Legislative update:

        • Colleen Sanders, Open Educational Resources & Course Materials Affordability Faculty, Linn-Benton Community College, created an adaptable assignment to encourage student participation: Testimony Preparation Assignment Template.

        Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

        • Large-scale OER Projects: Expression of Interest Pitch us a large-scale project developing high-quality open educational resources including textbooks and ancillary materials with an equity lens! Expressions of interest due May 5.

        • Panel on OER Maintenance It takes a lot of momentum to get your OER publishing program up and running… but what happens next? This panel will explore the challenges of OER maintenance from a variety of perspectives. May 12, 12-1.

        • Grant Proposal Q&A The current call for OER grant proposals is due June 23, 2023. Bring any and all questions to this drop-in session and get some answers! May 15, 2-3.

        • Copyright for Complete Beginners Join Copyright First Responders for an explanation of copyright and open licenses. We’ll assume that you have no prior knowledge and start from scratch. Bring your questions! May 19, 12-1.

        Other ways to get involved

        • The FOSSY Call for Proposals is due May 14. This conference takes place July 13-16 in Portland. The FOSS For Education Community Track provides sessions dedicated to using, developing, and managing OER.

        Calls for proposals in the open education field

          OER-related job opportunities

          • I don’t want anyone to leave Oregon, but Cascadia College is hiring an Instructional Designer position that includes OER in the description. Apply by May 1.

          • As I said, I don’t want anyone to leave Oregon, but Virginia Commonwealth University is hiring an Open Educational Resources Librarian. This position reports to former Portland State librarian Karen Bjork! They’re hosting Zoom info sessions on 4/21, 9-10 Pacific and 4/25, 12-1 Pacific and the application review date is May 7.

          Amy Hofer

          May 5, 2023, 2:12:23 PM5/5/23
          to Open Oregon

          Hi all, thanks for a wonderful OER Symposium last week! Catch up on recordings and read all about our 2023 OER Champions, and we’ll do it all over again in 2025 :) Amy

          Want to work with us?

            Legislative update:

              • Please take direct action in support of an Open Oregon Educational Resources funding increase through HB 3121 by emailing the cochairs of the Joint Ways & Means Committee and the Joint Ways & Means Education Subcommittee. More information and email template here.

              • Colleen Sanders, Open Educational Resources & Course Materials Affordability Faculty, Linn-Benton Community College, created an adaptable assignment to encourage student participation: Testimony Preparation Assignment Template.

              Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

              • Large-scale OER Projects: Expression of Interest Pitch us a large-scale project developing high-quality open educational resources including textbooks and ancillary materials with an equity lens! Expressions of interest due May 12 (extended!).

              Other ways to get involved

              • The Oregon Open Learning team (Oregon’s K-12 OER initiative) invites you to attend its OER Office Hours. May 5, 1-2 Pacific (today!).

              Calls for proposals in the open education field

              • The Open Education Group is accepting proposals for OER Research Fellows. This fellowship provides mentorship, community, and financial support for open education research. Applications are due June 15th.

              OER-related job opportunities

              • As I said, I don’t want anyone to leave Oregon, but Virginia Commonwealth University is hiring an Open Educational Resources Librarian. This position reports to former Portland State librarian Karen Bjork! They’re hosting Zoom info sessions on 4/21, 9-10 Pacific and 4/25, 12-1 Pacific and the application review date is May 7.

              Amy Hofer

              Amy Hofer

              May 19, 2023, 1:16:18 PM5/19/23
              to Open Oregon

              Hi all, the legislative update is a good news/bad news situation. The good news is that the revised budget forecast is much higher than expected; the bad news is that every bill is stuck in the senate walkout bottleneck.

              Here are two things you can do:

              1. If your senator has walked out and you want them to get back to work, write or call them

              1. Please take direct action in support of an Open Oregon Educational Resources funding increase through HB 3121 by emailing the cochairs of the Joint Ways & Means Committee and the Joint Ways & Means Education Subcommittee. More information and email template here.

                And, this newsletter is about to take a two-week break! See you in June :) Amy

                Upcoming professional development hosted by Open Oregon Educational Resources

                • Copyright for Complete Beginners Join Copyright First Responders for an explanation of copyright and open licenses. We’ll assume that you have no prior knowledge and start from scratch. Bring your questions! May 19, 12-1 (today!).