HB 2919 coverage in IHE!

Amy Hofer

Aug 24, 2021, 1:26:56 PM8/24/21
to Open Oregon, CCCOER Advisory, Open Textbook Network, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
Hi all, this message is cross-posted.

Oregon's HB 2919 got a writeup in Inside Higher Ed! The new legislation, which went into effect July 1, 2021, will require our public colleges and universities to make at least 75% of course material costs available to students when registration opens for the following term. This cost transparency will help students plan their budgets.

Link to bill: HB 2919

And check out this terrific quote from Ella Meloy, a University of Oregon student: “A big part of supporting this bill to me was hoping that if all textbooks and fees had to be transparent, it would help make professors choose textbooks that are lower costs and also would incentivize making classes more accessible."

:)
Amy

--
Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director

Linn-Benton Community College
6500 SW Pacific Blvd.
Albany, OR 97321