Website OER Projects

Sue Kunda

Apr 11, 2024, 6:20:01 PMApr 11
to Open Oregon
Hi, all.

I have a faculty member who's looking for a way to create a website for an OER rather than using more traditional textbook platforms (e.g., Pressbooks), and I'm just starting to look into this.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions for us?

Best,
Sue

Sue Kunda (she/her)
Scholarly Communication Librarian
Library and Academic Innovation
Western Oregon University
345 Monmouth Ave N | Monmouth, OR 97361
503-838-8893
kun...@wou.edu | 208B Hamersly Library
Schedule a meeting with me

Jennifer S Sacklin

Apr 11, 2024, 6:33:17 PMApr 11
to Sue Kunda, Open Oregon
Google Sites is pretty easy to use and I've made a couple Google Sites-based "books" (they're all horribly out of date so I don't want to link any here publicly).  On the user's end, a Google Site can feel & read very similar to Pressbooks.  Or, you can add more bells and whistles and make it feel more "website-y".

Jen

Jen Sacklin
(she/her)
Admin Assistant - Career Pathways
Make an appointment with me: jensacklin.youcanbook.me

Tim Krause

Apr 11, 2024, 6:34:16 PMApr 11
to Sue Kunda, Open Oregon
Hi, Sue, and all,

If you need an example, a colleague and I used Google Sites to make an OER reader for our ESOL reading classes. It was easy to incorporate media, H5P exercises for practice, and links to websites and documents that students might need. It's not a traditional textbook, but it seems very easy for students to navigate and use. To be clear, our website provides wrap-around materials for texts that we link to on external sites, but you could just as easily create a page with text inside your own site. Here's a link:

The downside is that while a site like this is easy to use and to maintain, it's not as easy for others to copy as their own and then remix/revise/republish/etc. in contrast to, say, a document or Pressbooks or even LMS file. And because it's simple to use, Google Sites might not have all the bells and whistles that a Pressbooks file would have.

Tim
_____________________________
Tim Krause
Pronouns: he/him/his
Portland Community College
ESOL Instructor
503-451-5214 (voicemail and text for students)

Oregon news for English language learners: ESOL News Oregon

On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 3:20 PM 'Sue Kunda' via Open Oregon Educational Resources <openo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Ash Barber

Apr 11, 2024, 7:49:27 PMApr 11
to Open Oregon Educational Resources

Hi Sue,

I created EmpoweredOER in website format: https://EmpoweredOER.com

I debated whether to create it in Pressbooks, but determined the web-like (ha!) connecting of concepts you can do in a website format was more conducive to the information I wanted to present than a traditional book format was.

Kind regards,

Ash

Ash Barber (she/her) | Academic Librarian | Hear my name
Library Services | City West Campus | University of South Australia
EmpoweredOER: Creating inclusive open educational resources in Australia
Co-Convenor ASCILITE Australasian Open Educational Practice Special Interest Group (OEP-SIG)
Open Education Conference Board of Directors
(: +61 (08) 8302 4439 | *: Ash.B...@unisa.edu.au |  Chat with me in Teams |  @AshTheLibrarian

I respectfully acknowledge the Kaurna, Boandik and Barngarla First Nations Peoples and their Elders past and present, who are the First Nations’ Traditional Owners of the lands that are now home to the University of South Australia’s campuses in Adelaide, Mount Gambier and Whyalla.

This email is intended for the addressee(s) only. Should this email be received in error by a person or company other than those intended, the contents of this email are confidential and must not be released or used by a person or company not authorised to do so.

CRICOS provider number 00121B / Australian University provider number PRV12107

Alex Jordan

Apr 11, 2024, 9:42:28 PMApr 11
to Ash Barber, Open Oregon Educational Resources
If they comfortable with a non-WYSIWYG approach, there is PreTeXt:

An example of a PreTeXt math book:

Math-based short stories for kids through Indigenous Canadian story-telling:

A computer science book:

What's the subject area? I could see if PTX has an example book in a related area.

Alex Jordan
Mathematics Instructor
Portland Community College

Laird Sheldahl

Apr 12, 2024, 11:41:49 AMApr 12
to Alex Jordan, Ash Barber, Open Oregon Educational Resources
Wordpress is designed for print materials (like blogs, and books too)
it also natively host h5p files and has a very easy plugin for managing h5p content.
(if you arent familiar with the interactive language H5P – Create and Share Rich HTML5 Content and Applications its really great for OER)

--Laird C. Sheldahl, Ph.D.

Anatomy & Physiology

Mt. Hood Community College

he/his

Apr 18, 2024, 8:16:05 PMApr 18
to Ash Barber, Jennifer S Sacklin, Open Oregon
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. The faculty member now has a few options to choose from (and even has offers to help). I love having a local community for asking these types of questions.

Thanks again to everyone

Sue Kunda (she/her)
Scholarly Communication Librarian
Library and Academic Innovation