ESOL OER w/ gender-neutral language

Amy Hofer

May 18, 2022, 12:25:16 PM5/18/22
to Open Textbook Network, CCCOER Advisory, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, Open Oregon
Hi all, this message is cross-posted.

A faculty member is looking for OER for ESOL instructors that feature gender-neutral content. Any leads? I'll post a roundup of replies next week.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

--
Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director

Amy Hofer

May 25, 2022, 2:00:14 PM5/25/22
to Open Textbook Network, CCCOER Advisory, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum, Open Oregon
Hi all, thanks for the great responses to this question! A roundup is below. Amy

From Stephen Krueger:
This may or may not be directly helpful, but Kat Klement and I just created a guide for improving trans inclusion in OER. This sounds like exactly the sort of project where the faculty member could update existing OER to include gender-neutral content.

From Millicent Ryan:
I think that your best bet might be to find a textbook that allows remixing and have your faculty member go through it and make it gender-neutral.

From Sara Ferguson:
I'm reviewing available OER for ESL and unfortunately haven't seen any materials that fit the bill. Here is the OER for ESL discipline list, in case the faculty member would like to skim through and find something that could be adapted for their level and purposes.

From Anna Mills:

From Tim Krause: