What to include for HB 2919

Sue Kunda

May 9, 2024, 5:16:07 PMMay 9
to Open Oregon
Hi, everyone.

We're having discussions on campus about what to include in the estimated costs for course materials. HB 2929 requires us to post "the estimated costs of all required course materials and directly related course fees."

Several people feel supplies should also be included because some courses (such as Art) require supplies that cost as much -- or more than -- textbooks and other course materials.

HB 2919 states "[t]he Higher Education Coordinating Commission, in consultation with relevant stakeholders and any other interested party identified by the commission, shall by rule adopt a list of incidental items that are not required to be reported under subsection (1) of this section."

Has this ever been done? Do we know what the incidental items are?

I've read several schools' information about HB 2919 and see they don't include supplies. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind not including supplies? If your school includes supplies can you explain why you took this stance?

Thanks so much for all your help. This group has been a great resource.

Sue Kunda (she/her)
Scholarly Communication Librarian
Library and Academic Innovation
Western Oregon University
345 Monmouth Ave N | Monmouth, OR 97361
503-838-8893
kun...@wou.edu | 208B Hamersly Library
Schedule a meeting with me

Lantrip, Jennifer

May 9, 2024, 5:25:57 PMMay 9
to Sue Kunda, Open Oregon
Hi Sue,

I don't work at UCC anymore, but here is the link to our guide for what we included: https://library.umpqua.edu/OER/coursedes

I think our reasoning to exclude "art supplies, calculators or other equipment, and any course fees" was that it was hard to track and they couldn't be replaced with OER. However, I feel like an argument for including them makes a lot of sense since the purpose is to inform students.

Jennifer Lantrip (she/her)
Health Sciences Student Success Librarian |
Libraries
503-352-3121
Pacific University | 2043 College Way
Forest Grove, OR 97116
Tran Library 121

Rayne Vieger

May 9, 2024, 6:40:02 PMMay 9
to Lantrip, Jennifer, Sue Kunda, Open Oregon

Sue, we were working off of this document (attached) that was circulated to us in 2022 and lists exceptions, and this is what we include on our website. We generally include supplies because we’re using a pretty broad definition of “course materials” that can really differ in each discipline, as you pointed out, but we tell faculty to exclude common consumable supplies or things that students can be expected to have as part of college attendance. We do include clickers in all of our cost estimates, even though students are generally only purchasing once and this makes otherwise no or low cost courses look like they cost $50+… It’s not a perfect system, but I think it’s good overall that we’re trying to include more info rather than less…let me know if you need any other information or if you want to chat!

The Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission has outlined which materials are omitted from the new requirement, which include:

  • Common consumable materials not specific to a program or course of study.
  • Any items covered by the payment of a noticed lab or directly related course fee.
  • Any materials or directly related course fees required of students in a program previously noticed to students as a condition of participation in such program, provided that the course for which the materials will be utilized is not open to enrollment by non-program participants.
  • Any equipment, materials or fees generally utilized by students for basic participation at an institution, or that are required as a condition of attendance or participation at an institution. A classroom response system device is not exempt from reporting under this subsection.

Rayne Vieger (she/her)

Head, Digital Publishing & Pedagogy | University of Oregon Libraries | Book a meeting with me

ray...@uoregon.edu

Incidental Course Materials and Fees.docx

Amy Hofer

May 9, 2024, 7:03:01 PMMay 9
to Sue Kunda, Open Oregon
Hi Sue, Laura Haga from Rogue Community College has this to say:

I have made this argument since the legislation came out. If  $150 art kits, or $100 calculator are required, they should 100% be included. If the idea is transparency and helping students to be able to budget and make informed decisions when registering it is only right. If they aren't included, it kind of defeats the purpose of the legislation. We are currently including those things.

Thanks,
Amy

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 2:16 PM 'Sue Kunda' via Open Oregon Educational Resources <openo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director