Using AI to remix?

Jennifer Jordan

Jun 7, 2024, 4:03:06 PMJun 7
to Open Oregon Educational Resources
Hi everyone,

I have one more question, actually three:
  • Does anyone know of specific best practices and/or guidelines regarding developing OER materials with Artificial Intelligence?
  • How should we attribute and/or reference OER materials when we are using Artificial Intelligence to enhance or develop them?
  • Lastly, are the answers that an AI search engine comes up with considered public domain?
Thanks for any help or perspective.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Jordan
OER Librarian
University of New Mexico

Amy Hofer

Jun 7, 2024, 4:20:36 PMJun 7
to Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
Hi Jennifer,

Your timing is amazing - the Open Oregon Educational Resources team has been talking about these exact questions! I'm going to summarize our current thinking, but this is all very emergent...

Affordable Learning Georgia just released guidelines that I think are a good starting point: Guidelines for Using Generative AI Tools in Open Educational Resources.

These guidelines don't address situations where you'd recommend that OER creators use AI or not. We're still mulling this over but feel skeptical that AI would be much of a time saver in the long run for developing content like whole chapters or textbooks. After you've crafted the perfect prompt to get what you want, and then fact-checked it to make sure it's not a hallucination, then revised to meet project goals such as an equity lens... you might have outsourced the creative parts to a robot and left your human self with all the tedious tasks.

I think a more likely scenario would be showing it a unit and asking it to draft self-check questions or other interactives. You'd still need to review to make sure that the interactives are highlighting the most important content, aligned with learning outcomes, not introducing errors, etc.

Regarding attribution, we added guidance from Rachel Bridgewater to the Attribution Style Guide initially created by Michaela Willi Hooper. The link takes you to a bookmark for AI generated materials.

About your last question - yes! AI generated content is in the public domain, though there are lawsuits working their way through the system that might lead to changes in the future.

Thanks for these questions - I'll be curious to see if others have more to add!

Amy

Amy Hofer (she/her)
Statewide Open Education Program Director

Cara Lee

Jun 7, 2024, 4:41:22 PMJun 7
to Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
This is really helpful, I have similar questions:)

Thank you!

Cara Lee
Mathematics Instructor
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them/theirs (mypronouns.org)

Proud member of FFAP

Drop-In Student Help Hours:

Mondays and Thursdays: 4-5 pm on Zoom
And by appointment by email, phone, Zoom or at SE campus. Just ask!

Portland Community College
Southeast Campus, SCOM 214
Phone: 971-722-3773
Text: 971-350-8868 (google voice 9-5 on weekdays)
Email: cara...@pcc.edu
Website: www.caraleemath.com

Get Help Basic Needs Support - Everyone needs help sometimes and we’re here for you. We can help you connect to resources on campus and in the community.  Contact get...@pcc.edu or call 971-722-6555.

Thomas Nejely

Jun 7, 2024, 4:49:46 PMJun 7
to Cara Lee, Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources

You said: “We're still mulling this over but feel skeptical that AI would be much of a time saver in the long run for developing content like whole chapters or textbooks. After you've crafted the perfect prompt to get what you want, and then fact-checked it to make sure it's not a hallucination, then revised to meet project goals such as an equity lens... you might have outsourced the creative parts to a robot and left your human self with all the tedious tasks.”

I find it to be just the opposite.  An AI can construct the basics, the organization, and all.  Once fact checking etc has happened (as a matter of course) then comes the opportunity for inserting or editing into the narrative the things that will grab student attention: the stories, the varying viewpoints, the quirks that make us human, and the things that only come from a lifetime of education and research.  I have been most intrigued by math, when the human element comes in and applicability is explained.  Or sciences, of the people who are using the concept or suffered discrimination when discovering it.

Hope that helps!

Jun 7, 2024, 5:07:25 PMJun 7
to Thomas Nejely, Cara Lee, Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
Structure aside, I would really caution people about using AI to generate any kind of actual content--even if it's just a draft that you are working on after.

I would for sure warn people who are creating OERs about the dangers of using generative AI tools when it comes to factual accuracy or the bits of "open" that intersect with equity and social change, rather than the "freely available" pieces.

For folks who aren't aware, there are a number of huge, systemic issues with the way generative AI works as a tool at all.

Even setting aside the fact that these tools can't tell the difference between accuracy and hallucination (because it's not what they are designed to do), generative AI is bad for the environment because of the computing power it uses, it has massive harmful biases due to the way its data are gathered (if you're really bored, you can read a 100 page EU report about that), and especially when it comes to the creation of content, it is built on the use of other people's intellectual property and creative output without their consent and without compensation.

Even if you don't think there is an ethical problem with using AI tools (an opinion you're free to hold!) there are still really major issues with using something like ChatGPT to come up with even "the basics" for your OER module. At least, IMO!

--
Stewart C Baker
Systems / Institutional Repository Librarian | Library

Western Oregon University is located within the traditional homelands of the Luckiamute Band of Kalapuya. In 1855, Kalapuya people were forcibly removed to reservations in Western Oregon. Today, living descendants of these people are a part of the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Community of Oregon and the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz Indians.

Jennifer Jordan

Jun 7, 2024, 6:27:06 PMJun 7
to Open Oregon Educational Resources
Hi Amy,

Thank you for sharing these resources. This is amazing! I appreciate your help 😊.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Jennifer Jordan

Jun 7, 2024, 6:30:28 PMJun 7
to Open Oregon Educational Resources
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing your differing perspective. It's very helpful to consider contrasting points of view.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Jennifer Jordan

Jun 7, 2024, 6:37:37 PMJun 7
to Open Oregon Educational Resources
Hi Stewart,

I think you bring up great points. I have heard about the environmental impact of AI as well, so I am glad you brought that up. Thanks for responding to my query.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Jenny Ceciliano

Jun 9, 2024, 12:05:25 PMJun 9
to Stewart Baker, Thomas Nejely, Cara Lee, Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
Thank you so much for articulating this and sharing these sources, Stewart! You put into words something I've been struggling with as folks in my workplace open up to the possibilities of AI. My own objections have felt vague and muddled, and so I've second-guessed whether I've just been resisting change.

I would love to share what you have written here. What would your preference be as far as how to share it? (For example would you be okay with me saying "a colleague at university in Oregon shared that..." and then quoting what you've written, or attributing it specifically to you, or leaving your words out entirely and re-writing it?)

Thank you!!

Jenny Ceciliano

Stewart Baker

Jun 9, 2024, 12:52:57 PMJun 9
to ceci...@pdx.edu, Thomas Nejely, Cara Lee, Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
I am more than happy for you to share those words however you wish -- no attribution required. Everything I've said is just something I've learned elsewhere and passed along. :)

Most of the folks I hang out with online are creative writers and artists, who typically have a very different set of feelings around generative AI tools. It's been a little disorienting at times to see academics and librarians get excited about the possibilities.

On balance, I keep an open mind about people who do want to use the tools but feel that they are dangerous not because of what they are (as bits of complex programming they are amazing) so much as how they're misrepresented by corporations who care more about profit than anything else. From a library perspective I really do think they're dangerous because they erode information literacy and because their wholesale adoption on the web has made it much harder to find real information.

Tim Krause

Jun 9, 2024, 1:35:30 PMJun 9
to Stewart Baker, ceci...@pdx.edu, Thomas Nejely, Cara Lee, Amy Hofer, Jennifer Jordan, Open Oregon Educational Resources
Interesting conversation!

One perspective I'd like to add to the AI for OER conversation is that it can be very useful as an editing tool. Relying on it to produce material from its original training dataset is problematic for all the reasons already articulated (and I've been burned by ChatGPT firsthand more than once). BUT if you feed it your own material, it can be useful to synthesize, organize, etc. -- basically serve as an editor of sorts.

Two quick examples:

I was writing a news story. I fed ChatGPT the transcription of two different interviews and some facts/figures about the topic and bits of information -- in no particular order and often not even in complete sentences -- and I asked it to compile it into a single news story -- and it was magic. Yes, I still needed to edit a little to give it a human touch, but it saved me a lot of time in organizing the information in a logical flow. And, because it was drawing on only what I gave it, I didn't have to worry about hallucinations or concerns about intellectual property.

Another example is I've given it the (anonymous) discussion posts of a class and asked it to extract the most important recurring themes. Again, ChatGPT was able to extract and summarize important points -- though if something was mentioned only once, it might not have been included because I asked for it to identify recurring themes. So it's still not giving me a perfect end product, but rather saving me a lot of time in an interim step.

"Garbage in, garbage out" as they say -- so if you input your own (non-garbage) material, it can be a useful tool to reshape it as you wish.

That said, I will acknowledge that there are ongoing concerns about privacy of information you input (whether or not information is retained or even simply used for "training").

Just more food for thought ....
Tim Krause
Pronouns: he/him/his
Portland Community College
ESOL Instructor
503-451-5214 (voicemail and text for students)

Oregon news for English language learners: ESOL News Oregon