OO 18.0.0: Testing new course element "Seite"

Michi Emde

Jul 19, 2023, 7:13:11 AM7/19/23
to OpenOlat
I played a bit with 18.0.0 as a test. I would like to use the new course element "Seite" because it offers many advantages. In order to use it, I have to somehow copy the content of my original page ("Einzelne Seite") to the new "Seite".

I recognized the following:
  • Own css classes, which I added to the theme in content.css, are only used in edit mode (see screenshots).
  • How can images (e.g. small icons) be displayed inline? Why isn't it possible to edit the html source code directly?
  • Links to other course pages are not copied from the original page using copy-paste.
  • A resource folder is used in the course. But I cannot insert images from it via "My Media Center".
Cheers
Michael

custem-css-editor.pngcustem-css.png

Florian Gnägi

Jul 24, 2023, 9:52:50 AM7/24/23
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

I played a bit with 18.0.0 as a test. I would like to use the new course element "Seite" because it offers many advantages. In order to use it, I have to somehow copy the content of my original page ("Einzelne Seite") to the new "Seite".

I recognized the following:
  • Own css classes, which I added to the theme in content.css, are only used in edit mode (see screenshots).
You used the legacy editor. When you are working with the new page element you should rather use the new editor block elements and not the old html editor inside the page. This block exists only for legacy / downward compatibility. Use the image, paragraph etc. elements instead.
  • How can images (e.g. small icons) be displayed inline?
Currently there is no support for this. To embed images, use the image block elements. Then use paragraph elements to add text.

  • Why isn't it possible to edit the html source code directly?
There is n source view in the new page editor, this is against the concept of a block based editor. The HTML block editor is HTML based, however we do not want to allow users to shoot them into the foot, thus we do not allow full HTML editing. If you need full control over your page, use the course element „html page“ and not the course element „page“.
  • Links to other course pages are not copied from the original page using copy-paste.
Linking is not yet supported in the page editor,
  • A resource folder is used in the course. But I cannot insert images from it via "My Media Center".
The page editor does not use the course folder or resource folder. Instead it uses the media center. Those are two very different and incompatible concepts. You either go with the „html page“ where you can work with files from the course folder or you go with the „page“ where you manage all media assets in the media center including sharing and versioning options.

Note: with OpenOlat 18 we ship the first version of the page editor. We will add many more features over the next month to add missing elements and make it more feature complete. I might well be that it is not ready yet for your use cases.

Cheers
Florian

Cheers
Michael

<custem-css-editor.png><custem-css.png>

Sie erhalten diese Nachricht, weil Sie Mitglied sind von Google
Groups-Gruppe "OpenOlat".
Für das Erstellen von Beiträgen in dieser Gruppe senden Sie eine E-Mail
an open...@googlegroups.com
Um sich von dieser Gruppe abzumelden, senden Sie eine E-Mail an
openolat+u...@googlegroups.com
Weitere Optionen finden Sie in dieser Gruppe unter
http://groups.google.com/group/openolat?hl=de
<custem-css.png><custem-css-editor.png>

professional services for the e-learning system OpenOlat
hosting - operating - support - development - mobile - consulting
frentix  GmbH
Florian Gnägi, Geschäftsführer
Okenstrasse 6
CH-8037 Zürich, Switzerland