new "kinect for windows" not work with openni??ubuntu11.10

chen mo

Mar 21, 2012, 4:53:21 AM3/21/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
we buy a new an NEW "kinect for windows" (for commercial use),NOT "kinect for xbox360".in win7,install MS kinect SDK V1,it works.
but in ubuntu11.10,install openni+nite+av2sensorkinect,(follw https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect).
what's more ,i follow some webpage to install  openni+nite+av2sensorkinec,but when i plug the kinect ,
it seems that the computer does not know the kinect ,and no driver is automate installed.

but,when i run the NiViewer sample,problem throw out as follows:
Device: PrimeSense/SensorKinect/5.1.0.25: The device is not connected! Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41: The device is not connected! Device: PrimeSense/SensorKinect/5.1.0.25: The device is not connected! Device: PrimeSense/SensorV2/5.1.0.41: The device is not connected!

is my installtion wrong ??? or the openni does NOT work with the new "kinect for windows"???
kinect for windows really means "just for windows,not for linux-like"????

Bernie

Mar 21, 2012, 7:39:16 AM3/21/12
to OpenNI
Hi, Chen Mo,

You should use Ubuntu10.10 as it is officially supported by OpenNI
currently.

Bernie

On Mar 21, 4:53 pm, chen mo <chinamoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> we buy a new an NEW "kinect for windows" (for commercial use),NOT "kinect
> for xbox360".in win7,install MS kinect SDK V1,it works.
> but in ubuntu11.10,install openni+nite+av2sensorkinect,(follwhttps://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect).

Daniel

Mar 21, 2012, 8:38:43 AM3/21/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

imho, kinect for windows is not supported by OpenNI yet. Microsoft changed sth in the specification. I couldn't make it work on win7 either with openNI.
Just in case you have an old kinect for XBOX try to run that with your current linux setup. If that works, then it's not a problem of your linux installation.

Daniel

Robin

Mar 24, 2012, 9:20:13 AM3/24/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Anything we can do to help get it working? I have a K4W device here.

David Ducrest

Mar 24, 2012, 9:23:28 AM3/24/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I have one of each. Foolishly I assumed that the devices were identical and thought that I had screwed up the driver install.

If I can help, let me know.

Amir Hirsch

Mar 24, 2012, 7:25:17 PM3/24/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
There are two ways to get Kinect for Windows into OpenNI:

It is possible to produce a Microsoft Kinect SDK to OpenNI bridge and some work was started on that direction with the Beta SDK:
This would only work on windows, but if there's serious commercial interest in this, I could do it for you.

The second approach is to reverse engineer the new sensor and produce a SensorKinect mod for the Kinect for Windows. This would work on Mac/Linux as well, but depending on what the new changes are and how much obfuscation Microsoft put up, it could also be a majorly difficult project. It wasn't as simple as just modifying the Product ID and Vendors ID.

But step back for a moment, why do you want the Kinect for Windows sensor into OpenNI? You can just use the Kinect for Xbox 360 with OpenNI for like $150 less. Is it Near Mode?

Amir

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Robin <imtr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anything we can do to help get it working? I have a K4W device here.

Robin

Mar 28, 2012, 10:30:07 AM3/28/12
to OpenNI
Near mode and higher fps capture.

There is some commercial interest, but I'm currently debating whether
to just switch to MS SDK itself or continue OpenNI path (I got my
things working with OpenNI already) but needing to support K4W.

What are we looking at?

Tomoto

Apr 2, 2012, 6:10:32 AM4/2/12
to OpenNI
Amir and everyone,

I fixed the bridge and now it is working with non-beta Kinect SDK. It
will open up the way to use Kinect for Windows with OpenNI for
commercial purpose. The code is ready to be published and I am now
trying to finish the documentation.

Thanks,
Tomoto

Roee Shenberg

Apr 2, 2012, 12:06:33 PM4/2/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Tomoto

Apr 3, 2012, 4:24:52 AM4/3/12
to OpenNI
Hi All,

Here's the new bridge that works with Kinect SDK V1.0.
https://www.assembla.com/code/kinect-mssdk-openni-bridge/git/nodes/for-kinect-sdk-v10/release/kinect-mssdk-openni-bridge-1.0-1.5.2.23.zip

I'm keeping it on the dev branch (for-kinect-sdk-v10) for a while, and
will merge on the main trunk after getting feedback.

Thanks,
Tomoto

Tim de Jager

Apr 5, 2012, 8:44:45 AM4/5/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

People working on libfreenect, have managed to get the k4w working with near mode: https://github.com/renewagner/libfreenect/tree/k4w-wip. I'm wondering if libfreenect is able to communicate with the k4w, if it would be hard to do this with openni as well (as the details of the usb interfacing etc. are now known)? I cannot use the bridge alas, because we are limited to linux systems only.

Thanks,
Tim

Tomoto

Apr 13, 2012, 6:31:45 PM4/13/12
to OpenNI
Roee,

I released the bridge for Kinect SDK V1.0. Note that the release site
is now moved to googlecode:
http://code.google.com/p/kinect-mssdk-openni-bridge/

It supports near mode and works with NITE's gesture recognition. See
this topic for more details.
http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev/browse_thread/thread/b56f8587a1217aa1

Hope it helps,
Tomoto

On 4月3日, 午前1:24, Tomoto <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here's the new bridge that works with Kinect SDK V1.0.https://www.assembla.com/code/kinect-mssdk-openni-bridge/git/nodes/fo...

Liana

Apr 16, 2012, 6:36:04 AM4/16/12
to OpenNI
Tomoto, this is great, thanks! I don't suppose it would be possible to
make a version for Mac OS X?

On Apr 13, 11:31 pm, Tomoto <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roee,
>
> I released the bridge for Kinect SDK V1.0. Note that the release site
> is now moved to googlecode:http://code.google.com/p/kinect-mssdk-openni-bridge/
>
> It supports near mode and works with NITE's gesture recognition. See
> this topic for more details.http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev/browse_thread/thread/b56f85...

Roee Shenberg

Apr 16, 2012, 4:55:44 PM4/16/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
When Microsoft make their SDK available for Mac (read: likely never).

Tomoto

Apr 16, 2012, 8:19:49 PM4/16/12
to OpenNI
Hi Liana,

Roee is right. This bridge is built purely on Kinect SDK with no hack,
and it is the design intention. I am afraid it will not be a solution
for Mac (as you asked) or Linux (as originally asked in this thread)
unless they are officially supported -- likely never.

Thanks,
Tomoto

manu

Aug 21, 2012, 11:42:36 AM8/21/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
hello Tomoto, All,

I see that MS published kinect SDK version 1.5 (+ toolkit 1.5.2) ...even if their setup file is named KinectSDK-v1.0-Setup.
Would this bridge be ok for that or is there an ongoing upgrade of the bridge ?

many thanks,

Manu

Francis

Aug 28, 2012, 8:24:36 AM8/28/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Tomoto dude, You're a God...

You saved me sooooo much time...Thanks a lot!!! keep up the good work!!

Thanks...
Francis

Tomoto

Sep 3, 2012, 10:07:54 PM9/3/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manu,

The bridge is tested on 1.5. Actually I am no longer testing it on 1.0. :-)

I did not change the file names because 1.0 and 1.5 are supposed to have the binary-level compatibility and there were no strong reasons to differentiate.

Thanks!
Tomoto

Tomoto

Sep 3, 2012, 10:15:55 PM9/3/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Francis,

Glad to hear that it helped you. Though I cannot be active on it all the time, hopefully I will find minimum-necessary time to accommodate your requirements.

Happy Hacking!
Tomoto

Joana Gonçalves

Nov 22, 2012, 5:39:07 AM11/22/12
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
I wanna buy a kinect for windows but i wanna to use it on Linux, that is possible or still some problems? what should I do?
Thank you
Joana

马萌

Dec 7, 2012, 10:44:01 AM12/7/12