How to execute ?

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 5:10:59 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Hi everybody,

I would like to know how it works the SensorKinect package.
I'm new at the Kinect and its development stuff so I'm sorry if my
question seems silly to you...

I'm working on Windows XP with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express
and can't change it (work conditions). I downloaded the SensorKinect
package from
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
and installed it thanks to the .exe file in the Bin directory. I could
build the projet after a little change on the DDK.rc file. Actually I
just replaced the line
#include "afxres.h"
by
#include "windows.h"
My environnement couldn't find the afxres.h and the site
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/Vsexpressvc/thread/d3480ee3-d880-4431-9264-b110a69c8a07/
helped me out with this problem.

Now I have all the .ddl and SensorServer.exe files.

My goal is to work on a Kinect. For now I just try to communicate with
the Kinect and retrieve the
3D image. I plugged my Kinect into my computer. I executed the
SensorServer.exe file but nothing happens.
I don't know what the arguments are, if there are any. I don't know if
I must proceed completely differently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zephyr87

Dec 16, 2010, 6:59:24 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Go into C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Documentation, open OpenNI_UserGuide
(Page 18). is useful to compile NiViewer for example.

The example programs are:
C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Samples\Bin\Debug
or
C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Samples\Bin\Release

I hope to help you.
Message has been deleted

Vanni Rizzo

Dec 16, 2010, 8:26:16 AM12/16/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem.
I solved unistalling all software and drivers and then installing only
OpenNI and SensorKinect 5.

Hoper this helps,

--
Vanni G. Rizzo
 → mobile: +39 329 3247242

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 8:31:31 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Thank you for your responses.

I'm looking now the documentation and the examples (thanks to
Zephyr87) to see if I can figure out something...

Vanni, could you give your download links ?
Message has been deleted

Vanni Rizzo

Dec 16, 2010, 9:05:40 AM12/16/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 9:06:32 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
That's what I know also. But Vanni spoke about SensorKinect 5.

The readme file of https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect tells us
information up to version v0.3. I don't know if it is the right
version or not...

On Dec 16, 3:03 pm, Sebastian Spiekermann <spiekerm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> donwload links:
>
> http://www.openni.org/?q=node/2https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
> right?
> > >  → web:www.rivict.com-Zitierten Text ausblenden -
>
> > - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 9:07:47 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Thanks for the confirmation of the links.

On Dec 16, 3:06 pm, Baub <asliurgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what I know also. But Vanni spoke about SensorKinect 5.
>
> The readme file ofhttps://github.com/avin2/SensorKinecttells us
> information up to version v0.3. I don't know if it is the right
> version or not...
>
> On Dec 16, 3:03 pm, Sebastian Spiekermann <spiekerm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > donwload links:
>
> >http://www.openni.org/?q=node/2https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect
> > right?
>
> > On 16 Dez., 14:31, Baub <asliurgu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thank you for your responses.
>
> > > I'm looking now the documentation and the examples (thanks to
> > > Zephyr87) to see if I can figure out something...
>
> > > Vanni, could you give your download links ?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 9:31:44 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
I am really having hard time to communicate with the Kinect.

I reinstall the two files (OpenNI and SensorKinect). I retry to
execute the project Engine.sln. Same results : nothing happens.

I tried to execute the examples. For instance NIViewer.exe gives the
following error:
"One or more of the following nodes could not be enumerated.
Device : Prime Sense/SensorV2/5.0.0.24: The device is not
connected."

I don't undestand because my device is connected.

And how do you test if you are communicating with the Kinect or not?
What is the "normal" outputs of the examples?

Eddie Cohen

Dec 16, 2010, 9:44:28 AM12/16/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Baub,

I can't really help you regarding the Kinect sensor (I don't have one), but if you want to execute OpenNI samples,
You can do this using a recording file (ONI).
There's an ONI file you can download from www.openni.org (last link on the page).
Then, go to your configuration file (Data/SamplesConfig.xml), and under ProductionNodes remove all <Node> elements, and instead place:
<Recording file="file_path"/>

If you execute the samples now, they won't look for a device to connect to, and you'll be able to see what a "normal" output of the samples looks like.

Eddie.

Vanni Rizzo

Dec 16, 2010, 9:45:11 AM12/16/10
to openn...@googlegroups.com
> And how do you test if you are communicating with the Kinect or not?
> What is the "normal" outputs of the examples?

Initially i had this error: "One or more of the following nodes could

not be enumerated. Device : Prime Sense/SensorV2/5.0.0.24: The device
is not connected."

I solved unistalling all (the software in the control panel->unistall
applications and the driver from computer -> Device Manger ->unistall
the three XBox NUI device: Audio, Camera and Motor) and reinstalling
the two links that i sent you before.

I tested it clicking in the NiViewer Sample.
If it's all ok you will see something like "primesensor_devices.png"
in your device manager, and something like "niviewer_screen.png" when
starting the sample.

Sorry if i can't help you better, but i've just started using openNI.

bye

primesensor_devices.png
niviewer_screen.png

Baub

Dec 16, 2010, 9:59:36 AM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Thank you again ! I will try again and again :)
>  primesensor_devices.png
> 4KViewDownload
>
>  niviewer_screen.png
> 1289KViewDownload

avin

Dec 16, 2010, 4:44:48 PM12/16/10
to OpenNI
Hello Baub,
Can you open the device manager and see if you can find the Kinect
somewhere?
It should be under the PrimeSensor category if all is well.

avin.

Baub

Dec 17, 2010, 3:27:22 AM12/17/10
to OpenNI
Hi avin,

I see the following items related to Kinect in the device manager:
- libusb-win32 devices
- Xbox NUI Audio
- Xbox NUI Camera
- PrimeSensor
- Kinect Motor.

I tried to reinstall everything as Vanni said. The message error that
I get when I execute the NIViewer.exe changed. My new message is :
"Open failed : Unknown USB device speed!"

Do you have any idea of what's going on?

Baub

Dec 17, 2010, 8:03:12 AM12/17/10
to OpenNI
I made it :) I solved my problem thanks to the following discussion :
http://groups.google.com/group/openni-dev/browse_thread/thread/71e073a07843629d/41d1218fc5fc0e8b?lnk=gst&q=USB#41d1218fc5fc0e8b

In fact, in order to communicate with Kinect, in the device manager
under the PrimseSensor section, you need to find both, the Kinect
Motor and the Kinect Camera (see the above link for the instructions
to follow). Then the sample NiViewer works and you see the images that
Vanni send.

Thank you very much for your help.