Installation on Dell S4048

Christoph Doblander

Jan 20, 2016, 5:07:39 AM1/20/16
to opennetworklinux
Hi,

I'm trying to install ONL on a Dell S4048. To install it I boot into ONIE Install, mount the usb stick and execute the latest-amd64.installer. No error message, everything seems fine.
After reboot I see in the serial console one entry for OpenNetworkLinux and one for ONIE. When I try to boot OpenNetworkLinux I get an error that the kernel could not be found:
... kernel-3.14-x86_64-al not found ...
I also tried an older version but the error is the same.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Chris

Rob Sherwood

Jan 31, 2016, 5:31:28 PM1/31/16
to Christoph Doblander, opennetworklinux
Hi Chris,

Are you still seeing this problem?

- Rob
.

Christoph Doblander

Feb 1, 2016, 2:00:57 AM2/1/16
to opennetworklinux, ch...@degree.at
Yes, I still have the problem.
Unfortunately I haven't had time to investigate into the problem so far, but hopefully will end of the week.

I'm a bit scared, can I brick anything when I fdisk manually and run grub myself? As far as I read it should be always possible to install ONIE again.
What would be the first things to investigate?

Thanks, Chris

Steven Noble

Feb 1, 2016, 2:29:41 AM2/1/16
to Christoph Doblander, opennetworklinux
Hi Christoph,

You shouldn't be able to brick the system, since you should be able to install ONIE from a USB stick.

if you break out of the loader, you should be able to see what kernels are available, edit the grub.cfg and point it at a kernel that exists such as the kernel-3.2-deb7-x86_64-all

The entry would look something like this:

menuentry OpenNetworkLinux {
  search --no-floppy --label --set=root ONL-BOOT
  echo 'Loading Open Network Linux ...'
  insmod gzio
  insmod part_msdos
  linux /kernel-3.2-deb7-x86_64-all acpi=off console=ttyS0,115200n8 i2c-ismt.bus_speed=100 onl_platform=x86-64-dell-s4000-c2338-r0
  initrd /initrd-amd64
}

You can also try this image : http://opennetlinux.org/binaries/dell-mod/onl-c82f711-amd64-all.2016.02.01.07.26.installer which I modified the grub.cfg for the dell s4000 to load the 3.2 kernel.

January 31, 2016 at 11:00 PM
January 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM
Hi Chris,

Are you still seeing this problem?

- Rob
.

January 20, 2016 at 2:07 AM

Steven Noble

Feb 1, 2016, 3:00:36 PM2/1/16
to Christoph Doblander, opennetworklinux
Hi Christoph,

I just pushed a version of ONL 2.0 that supports the Dell switches if you would like to try that instead/or in combination:

http://opennetlinux.org/binaries/latest-2.0-AMD64.installer

January 31, 2016 at 11:00 PM
January 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM
Hi Chris,

Are you still seeing this problem?

- Rob
.

January 20, 2016 at 2:07 AM

Christoph Doblander

Feb 2, 2016, 5:30:25 AM2/2/16
to opennetworklinux, ch...@degree.at
Thank you Steven!
I was able to install it without problems.

Good to know that I can't brick it. I found also some DELL documentation on how to install ONIE, just in case.

I didn't found these changes in the ONL repo, I guess the changes you made touched this file [1].
Where can I find the current development repo?

Thanks, Chris

Christoph Doblander

Feb 2, 2016, 5:34:56 AM2/2/16
to opennetworklinux, ch...@degree.at
Sorry, I missed the previous thread about the OCP Repo

Promit Banik

Oct 1, 2020, 9:02:26 AM10/1/20
to opennetworklinux
Dear Steven,

The link is no more available. Kindly provide an alternative link to get ONL binary for Dell S4048-ON switch.